Brits abroad - British subjects in foreign markings Chat

Giorgio N

Hey Giorgio. 

I'd like to do a Centurion in Canadian service: I have ACE's fairly new 1/72 Centurion mk 5LR, and I bought it with half a mind to convert it to a Canadian example, ... but I'm not sure if its possible unless I get new decals custom made and some modifications to the kit. Perhaps someone super helpful and knowledgable, like oh, I don't know, @Sgt.Squarehead might be able to provide me guidance?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Well Mick has sorted decal's for an Irish Hurricane and is posting them soon so if they arrive safely I'll start with Hasegawa's 1/48 kit,I hate to class

the Irish as "foriegn" but for the purpose of this GB they are!

Glad to see you're sorted ! I'm expecting a few subjects in Irish markings here, even if I can see how for many in the UK it's hard to see Ireland as a foreign Country.. 😁

Mind, on the other hand some in Ireland are real hardliners regarding these things...  😁

14 hours ago, Foxbat said:

While looking for Burmese Spitfire decals, I found some interesting PR/FR Spits. I had one of the kits in the stash already but needed another to justify the decals, you know how it goes. Since I have them, I'll attempt to build both a Royal Thai Air Force PR.XIX and an Indian Air Force FR.XIVe - the latter from the brief period where they used the Royal title and the 'chakra' roundel.

Andy

Optimistic in the face of experience.  

Great subjects both ! Love the Spit and both markings are very exotic. Thinking of it I love the Griffon engined Spits even more, looking forward to these

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JWM said:

I am intending to convert Maquette DH9A into DH9. The first big difference is wingspan and chord. So this is what I did. Here we see wings with sections marked to be cut off:

And here we have smaller wingspand and cut also front to make smaller chord

That is all what I done so far.

Regards

J-W

To me that is well below the 25% limit generally accepted for group builds, perfectly eligible ! 👍

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Bonhoff said:

Here's a question - I'm looking at an S&M Vickers Viscount 800 in "Eagle Airways" colours that I have in the stash. 

Although Eagle was a British airline, this was a Bermuda registered subsidiary and the aircraft reg isn't a "G-" - It's VR-BAX 

Would this count? 

IanJ

Hmmm... this is a tricky one, mainly as I didn't know anything about Eagle and had to look around for info... 😁

From what I understand Eagle registered the subsidiary in Bermuda to be able to operate services under that Country regulations. To me this sounds more like a "legal trick" than the establishment of a new foreign registered airline (a bit like Easyjet recent new Austrian company). VR-BAX herself was previously UK registered and got a new registration just to get off UK rules.

Don't know, from one side I'd like to be flexible to allow as many modellers as possible to take part in the GB. On the other hand I struggle to see Eagle in Bermuda as a real foreign operator

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, -Neu- said:

Hey Giorgio. 

I'd like to do a Centurion in Canadian service: I have ACE's fairly new 1/72 Centurion mk 5LR, and I bought it with half a mind to convert it to a Canadian example, ... but I'm not sure if its possible unless I get new decals custom made and some modifications to the kit. Perhaps someone super helpful and knowledgable, like oh, I don't know, @Sgt.Squarehead might be able to provide me guidance?

A Canadian Centurion would be great ! I'd like to see armour and other kind of vehicles here, and of course ships and figures and cars. This is a GB that really aims at being very inclusive in terms of modelling subjects.

Can't unfortunately help with the details of the modifications required, maybe a post in the armour section will get you some more info. Or maybe starting a thread will attract some attention from the armour experts

@-Neu-  Centurion is a bit late (& not sufficiently Soviet) for me, but I'm sure a post in the Cold War Armour section would bring results.....Will check my references and sources anyway, I know you need decals, are there any particular parts you are aware of that you would need?  :shrug:

PS - I was wrong.....I've just found a couple of Centurion books that I didn't know I had, but sadly while they have plenty on the Centurion in other foreign hands (Ausralia, Israel, Sweden etc.), I can find nothing at all on Canadian examples.  :unsure:

• Like 1

I am not an expert but ....

Quote:

'The Fort Garry Horse was in Germany from November 1962 to December 1965.  They used both the Centurion Mk.5 LR with

the 20 Pounder Type A or Type B barrels or mounted a 105mm.

From photos I have seen of FGH Centurions they never had the searchlight or the frame turret basket added. But they were

painted in the four colour cam pattern.'

Found here: https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/moderncanadianvehicles/cdn-kits-to-start-t653.html

Pictures:

http://silverhawkauthor.com/royal-canadian-armoured-corps-34ironside34_316.html

http://mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17960

I also found a list with versions the canadians might have used:

- Centurion Mk.5
- Centurion Mk.5LR
- Centurion Mk.6
- Centurion Mk.6LR
- Centurion Mk.11LR

• Like 1

hmmm, that's super promising, thanks @Sanjuro, though the first link might not be correct? (it has no photos). I've realized that the 5 boxing might be good enough, with a few modifications. Now I need to find some good images so I can have some decals created. 

5 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

Folks, less than a couple hours before the GB will officially open ! Ready to make a start ?

Seriously?!?!?  I'm astonished that I've been able to restrain myself...!  :bounce::frantic:

• Like 1

Hi Giorgio,

Would a 2-pounder gun in Australian service count? It's a bit tricky as the guns carry no markings and are painted identical to British ones.

It's ok if it doesn't, I've got more than a few other subjects I can join with.

Hi Giorgio,

Would a 2-pounder gun in Australian service count? It's a bit tricky as the guns carry no markings and are painted identical to British ones.

7 hours ago, aidy said:

Hi Giorgio,

If the gun was in service in the days when Australia was independent, and I'm pretty sure it was, then it would sure be eligible

I understand that with a subject like this it's not easy to show that it is in service with a foreign army, maybe adding something would help ? Like a truck carrying Australian markings, or figures wearing distrinctively Australian uniforms ?

55 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

it's not easy to show that it is in service with a foreign army, maybe adding something would help ? Like..

everyone holding a cold beer!

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

If the gun was in service in the days when Australia was independent, and I'm pretty sure it was, then it would sure be eligible

I understand that with a subject like this it's not easy to show that it is in service with a foreign army, maybe adding something would help ? Like a truck carrying Australian markings, or figures wearing distrinctively Australian uniforms ?

It was in service with the Australian 4th anti-tank regt in WW2 Malaya. Some crews did wear distinctly Australian uniforms so I'll see what I can do.

In the meantime, maybe I'll build a Canberra or Lynx for my GB entry.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

Folks, I'm glad to announce that Wez has joined as co-host !

Thanks Wez, your presence will be of great help to the GB

Thanks for the welcome Giorgio, hopefully my headful of clutter will turn out to be a mine of useful information regarding British aircraft at least, not so sure about other genres but I'm willing to learn and will chip in where I can.

Always fascinating to find out the background of foreign use of British stuff, the Austin armoured car and the Persian radial engined Furies to name but a couple, keep it up guys!

My own build for this GB won't start for a couple of weeks as I'm away ATM.

Good luck to those that have started and hope to see more of you joining in the next couple of weeks.

• Like 1

Just wondering if an RAAF WW2 aircraft wearing Australian Pacific Theatre blue and white roundels will qualify as `foreign'? Or is this a bit close to the bone? 

Cheers

Tony

10 hours ago, tonyot said:

Just wondering if an RAAF WW2 aircraft wearing Australian Pacific Theatre blue and white roundels will qualify as `foreign'? Or is this a bit close to the bone? 

Cheers

Tony

Tony,

As long ads you can verify it conforms to rule 12 as set out by Giorgio:

"12) Subjects serving in foreign units associated with British armed services are eligible if they are immediately recognisable as part of the foreign unit through their markings. Examples are the various foreign Squadrons serving in WW2 RAF. Those carrying foreign markings will be allows, those carrying British markings will not."

Then I don't see any reason why not.  What do you have in mind?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Wez said:

Tony,

As long ads you can verify it conforms to rule 12 as set out by Giorgio:

"12) Subjects serving in foreign units associated with British armed services are eligible if they are immediately recognisable as part of the foreign unit through their markings. Examples are the various foreign Squadrons serving in WW2 RAF. Those carrying foreign markings will be allows, those carrying British markings will not."

Then I don't see any reason why not.  What do you have in mind?

Thanks Wez,.... I have a few subjects in mind,...... not fully decided yet.

• Like 2