Brits abroad - British subjects in foreign markings Chat

Giorgio N

1 minute ago, Max Headroom said:

Haven’t Revell announced a re-release of the F.6 in 1/72 for 2018?

Trevor

They have ! Likely the FGA.9, that would work well for several export users. Others used the F.6 though, can't remember if the FGA.9 box had all the part for the F.6 or not. Interestingly my F.6 box also includes the parts for an FGA.9 but IIRC this didn't happen for all boxes.

12 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

Haven’t Revell announced a re-release of the F.6 in 1/72 for 2018?

Trevor

I have enough in the stash as it is across all scales Trevor. 28 at the last count plus 1 stalled on the workbench and 10 built :oops:

12 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

They have ! Likely the FGA.9, that would work well for several export users. Others used the F.6 though, can't remember if the FGA.9 box had all the part for the F.6 or not. Interestingly my F.6 box also includes the parts for an FGA.9 but IIRC this didn't happen for all boxes.

Some of my FGA.9 boxes did have the F.6 tailpipe included as with yours Giorgio but I think that was only from the earliest batches as it wasn't the case with the ones I picked up towards the end of it being available in shops.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Antoine said:

We got to setup an IndoPak wars GB, then.

I think it was mooted before but got little traction.

Certainly plenty of British subjects used in that region, aircraft carriers, Hawker Seahawk, Hunter, Sea Harrier, EE Canberra, Jaguar, Hawk, Westland Sea King, uniforms, weapons other equipment plenty of interest there!

Edited by Wez
  • Like 2

Goormorning to All

I chose a D.H.100 Vampire FB Mk.5 in French colors (totally blue) of the flight hunting school 57.S, based in Khourigba Morocco late1950s.
Azur kit 1/72 Item n° 72117

Ettore :bye:
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Ettore said:

Goormorning to All

I chose a D.H.100 Vampire FB Mk.5 in French colors (totally blue) of the flight hunting school 57.S, based in Khourigba Morocco late1950s.
Azur kit 1/72 Item n° 72117

Ettore :bye:

Interesting choice Ettore, looking forward to this ! A blue Vampire is something not seen very often

18 hours ago, whiskey said:

I was just reading last night about India’s first use of LGB’s supplies by Israel dropped from Jaguars. That’d be an interesting build.

Go for it, would be nice to see an Indian Jaguar

Regarding the Jaguar, even if the type is not 100% British and Indian one would fit my idea of what is allowed in international collaboration projects. I'd have said no to a French Jaguar but cats from other countries are eligible.

On 19/12/2017 at 6:53 AM, Antoine said:

We got to setup an IndoPak wars GB, then.

May I suggest those two books, if you want to dig into the operational use of the aircraft?

On 19/12/2017 at 9:36 AM, Wez said:

I think it was mooted before but got little traction.

Certainly plenty of British subjects used in that region, aircraft carriers, Hawker Seahawk, Hunter, Sea Harrier, EE Canberra, Jaguar, Hawk, Westland Sea King, uniforms, weapons other equipment plenty of interest there!

India and Pakistan sure offer a lot of interesting subjects for this GB, from the very early days of Independence til today. And many saw a lot of action in the bloody wars that saw these countries facing each other.

Thanks for suggesting these books Antoine, very interesting ! These wars are relatively little known in the West, the more info we can get the better.

This reminds me of something we don't think of very often: we tend to think of the use of British or US, French, Soviet/Russian weapons in action with their own armed forces but sometime forget that the same weapons were often used even more intensively by other operators. British aircrafts are a good example here: the various Hunter, Canberra and so on sure saw their share of action with the RAF but the use made by countries like India was even greater. No RAF Hunter ever had to face an enemy aircraft, all they did was to strike insurgents. The Indian (and Iraqi and Jordanian) Hunters saw combat to a greater degree, having to dogfight against enemy fighters, deal with AAA and missiles and strike armoured units. The same can be said for many postwar armoured vehicles, no British Chieftain ever fired a shot in anger but Iranians saw a lot of real combat. Really a lot of what we know of the operational capability of these types come from events that involved foreign countries.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, snowen250 said:

Is it too late to sign up for this? Looks really interesting and I've never done anything like it in the past :)

Simon

Simon,

It's not too late to sign up for this GB, it runs from June to October 2018, plenty of time for you to decide what you want to do!

Welcome to the throng!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wez said:

Simon,

It's not too late to sign up for this GB, it runs from June to October 2018, plenty of time for you to decide what you want to do!

Welcome to the throng!

Excellent! i'm thinking of the Eduard Spit IX in either Belgian or Israeli markings. Or possibly a Blenheim.... or a Beaufighter.... plenty of time as you said!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

This reminds me of something we don't think of very often: we tend to think of the use of British or US, French, Soviet/Russian weapons in action with their own armed forces but sometime forget that the same weapons were often used even more intensively by other operators. British aircrafts are a good example here: the various Hunter, Canberra and so on sure saw their share of action with the RAF but the use made by countries like India was even greater. No RAF Hunter ever had to face an enemy aircraft, all they did was to strike insurgents. The Indian (and Iraqi and Jordanian) Hunters saw combat to a greater degree, having to dogfight against enemy fighters, deal with AAA and missiles and strike armoured units. The same can be said for many postwar armoured vehicles, no British Chieftain ever fired a shot in anger but Iranians saw a lot of real combat. Really a lot of what we know of the operational capability of these types come from events that involved foreign countries.

Indeed!

But each time there's a GB idea related to one of those war, it doesn't even make it to the vote, as people here seems to want "mainstream" GB only (BoB, Eastern front, you name it). 

Therer's simply no place for Third World Small Wars GB on BM. Sadly...

15 hours ago, Antoine said:

Indeed!

But each time there's a GB idea related to one of those war, it doesn't even make it to the vote, as people here seems to want "mainstream" GB only (BoB, Eastern front, you name it). 

Are you suggesting a Scottish GB ?

:coat:

19 hours ago, Antoine said:

Indeed!

At the risk of diverting this thread, I've been giving this some thought, unusual for me I know but...

Firstly, there are plenty of modellers on this site who take a great deal of interest in subjects outside of the major protagonists or major conflicts.

Secondly, plenty of GB's get proposed but I can't help but thinking many of the proposers have a blinkered view.  Like it or not, the majority of modellers on this site are aircraft modellers, naturally this means that the majority of GB's that get proposed are aircraft orientated, but, with a bit of imagination and widening of the scope, many of them could be opened up to include non-aircraft subjects, indeed, when this is suggested to the GB proposer they're often very receptive to the idea, they just hadn't thought outside of their own field of interest.

There was a recent proposal for a Middle East GB, it was suggested it could be opened up to include the wider sphere of the middle east and that was generally (but not totally), well received, it may still have been too limiting for some which is why it didn't get enough interest to go to the vote?

So if you wanted to include the Indian-Pakistan wars as a GB subject, you might get more interest if you proposed a small wars GB post 1945, this could exclude the major conflicts like Korea, Vietnam or the Arab-Israeli conflicts but could include the Indian-Pakistan wars, the Soccer War etc, it may get more traction. 

In summary, if people want to see GB's which include nations outside of the usual suspects and the usual conflicts make it as inclusive as possible, not exclusive.

Not wishing to stifle debate but also not wanting to divert this thread, I think any further discussion on this should be taken up elsewhere.

Back on topic, I wonder if the new Special Hobby Vampire Mk.1 will come with Dominican markings? :hmmm:

Edited by Wez
Speelung!!

4 hours ago, Wez said:

So if you wanted to include the Indian-Pakistan wars as a GB subject, you might get more interest if you proposed a small wars GB post 1945, this could exclude the major conflicts like Korea, Vietnam or the Arab-Israeli conflicts but could include the Indian-Pakistan wars, the Soccer War etc, it may get more traction. 

Wez, mate, I do not agree (and I answer here, as I'm unable to move your post anywhere).

I my opinion, there's no need to get half the planet to follow you in a GB, as in my mind, a GB is meant to FOCUS on a subject. Because it create maximum share between the participating members. Share of informations, techniques, decals, parts, documentations, etc...

Widening the subject cause a dilution of the sharing possibilities.

And beside, if I'm interested in Indo Pak war, I'm maybe not in Soccer war, after all.

There was a good exemple lately, with the Spanish Civil War.

That's a big subject, THE war before THE WAR.

It just didn't make it to the vote....Fsd

And now, if I want it cleared for the vote, I should mix it under another banner.

Come on, we're talking  about SCW.

18 hours ago, Wez said:

Back on topic, I wonder if the new Special Hobby Vampire Mk.1 will come with Dominican markings? :hmmm:

Found these, interesting and colourful options for Mexican and Dominican Vampires...   ...interesting!

On 21/12/2017 at 12:46 PM, snowen250 said:

Is it too late to sign up for this? Looks really interesting and I've never done anything like it in the past :)

Simon

As Wez already said, it sure is not too late !

Once a group build is approved there's no need to sign up, just wait until the start date of the GB and open a thread with your work-in-progress pictures.

Group builds are fun, you'll love it !  A large part of my models in the last couple of years have been built as part of group builds here on Britmodeller, it's a nice way to build something together with other modellers even if we never meet in person

Looking forward to your contribution !

• Like 2