Airfix 1/76 SWB Thornycroft Amazon

That is so tidy ! I just love the attention to detail in this tiny scale and your ability to make it look like a much larger scaled kit !

Take that coin away and your model could be 1/35

Love it

Nige

• Like 2

Incredibly good, I can not imagine how you are able to work with such small kits that fit you so well. With larger scales, the result would probably be better.
Only one thing, the cable of the crane, would be better completely straight (by the weight of the pulley), or is it in reality (photos, of course)?

:goodjob:, cheers mate

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, FrancisGL said:

Incredibly good, I can not imagine how you are able to work with such small kits that fit you so well. With larger scales, the result would probably be better.
Only one thing, the cable of the crane, would be better completely straight (by the weight of the pulley), or is it in reality (photos, of course)?

:goodjob:, cheers mate

Sadly mate I dropped it while painting the crane and bent the wires, as I made them out of steel wire its nye on impossible to get them back straight again now.... Lesson learned, I'll be making the LWB out of copper wire so its easier to work with

• Like 1

Lovely job as always Sean. The build has been first class and the painting and weathering ditto. Just a shame about the cable. Something I bought from Eileen's Emporium would do the trick. Nickle silver wire. It comes in various thicknesses.

Regards,

John.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mancunian airman said:

Lovely model and well detailed but what is the arrangement over the cab roof ??

Short wheel bases nearly all came with a deck with a frame around it like a roof rack on their roof, it was common practice for crews to remove the frame to allow for better visability and not interfere with the boom on full depression over the cab front, but leave the deck on as it wasn't in the way, Long wheel bases pretty much all came with a normal roof with a hip ring in. 

Sean

The blue-grey finish looks good and really rounds off and excellent model.

One of my ancient modelling magazines/books recommends using an appropriately sized bolt to replace the plastic component representing the screw jack.  I haven't tried it myself but I think that it would work well.  Something to bear in mind for you're next Amazon :)

Cheers

David

1 hour ago, DavidJ said:

Sean

The blue-grey finish looks good and really rounds off and excellent model.

One of my ancient modelling magazines/books recommends using an appropriately sized bolt to replace the plastic component representing the screw jack.  I haven't tried it myself but I think that it would work well.  Something to bear in mind for you're next Amazon :)

Cheers

David

Thanks mate,

If you look a little closer its actually threaded, I made it by winding copper wire around a wire core, it's just not obvious in the photos as the thread is so fine.

ATB

Sean

13 hours ago, vindicareassassin said:

Thanks mate,

If you look a little closer its actually threaded, I made it by winding copper wire around a wire core, it's just not obvious in the photos as the thread is so fine.

ATB

Sean

It certainly is!  I had to enlarge the photographs to see it. 

I don't think I'll use that technique; cutting a fine thread with a dye should be be better for my eyesight and sanity :)

Cheers

David

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 9:43 AM, vindicareassassin said:

Sadly mate I dropped it while painting the crane and bent the wires, as I made them out of steel wire its nye on impossible to get them back straight again now.... Lesson learned, I'll be making the LWB out of copper wire so its easier to work with

Incredible work on such a small scale. I wouldn't have thought it possible.

May I suggest that instead of copper wire you invest in some 'Braid' fishing line? You can buy spools of it from tackle shops. It's braided so it looks like rope or cable when painted the right colour. It's VERY limp and VERY strong for its diameter. It's usually either green or sand in colour and you can buy 10metre lengths rather than `100metres if you want. The lowest diameters would be perfect for your cable.

Rearguards,

Badder