Canada, Eh? GB 2018/19?

Sabre_days

11 hours ago, busnproplinerfan said:

Beautiful plane, which colour scheme are you planning?

Since I'll have a high-vis JMSDF P-3 built by the time this GB starts, I'll do the two-tone grey scheme.

Mike

• Like 1

Thought that I could only offer two Chippies for this theme. But found an RCAFTiffie and RCN Sea Fury at least.  

AND asked to build a Texan.  This one was built by Canadian Car and Foundry.

Edited by theplasticsurgeon
  • Like 1

Why and how on earth did I miss GB proposal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Of Course you can count me in.. It would NOT be right for me to miss this one. I have soooo many to add to my burgeoning builds of Canadian models and still not enough  for me!!  

Very much look forward to it!!!!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Dragon said:

Since I'll have a high-vis JMSDF P-3 built by the time this GB starts, I'll do the two-tone grey scheme.

Mike

I was told the grey/white scheme was only used for a short time when they were new, I can't prove that though. The low vis grey looks good on them. I have three, but want to make them Electras.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Patrick Martin said:

Gee Jordan, this is kind of wide open.

It is, definitely...but that seems to be the preferred direction for GBs on this site currently, which I'm quite happy with. I also felt a Canada-specific GB would be most likely to attract enough interest on this site if it were very open-ended. I'd personally be eager to join an "RCAF Overseas Squadrons, 1940-1945," "Cold War RCAF, RCN, Canadian Army and CF" or "Canadian Airliners" group build, but I wouldn't expect them to get the required numbers (at least not without getting rolled into a more generic Commonwealth theme). The only way the rules are more open than the French Fancy GB is that they allow for subjects operated by Canadian crews outside of specifically Canadian-manned units, which I felt was necessary because copying the rules used for French Fancy would mean no aircraft flown in combat during World War I would qualify.

Well...that, and the proposal to allow what-ifs under certain restrictions, but I'm increasingly leaning towards abandoning that and sticking to real subjects only since nobody has proposed one yet.

• Like 1

On ‎22‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 0:55 AM, busnproplinerfan said:

I was told the grey/white scheme was only used for a short time when they were new, I can't prove that though. The low vis grey looks good on them. I have three, but want to make them Electras.

According to T. F. J. Leversedge's Canadian Combat and Support Aircraft, the first Auroras were taken on strength in 1980, I'd guess initial operational capability was sometime between then and 1981 (I'm pretty sure 407 Squadron at Comox received them in spring or summer of 1982, but one of the east coast squadrons probably got them first). The switch to the grey scheme coincided with the change from Symmetrical to FIP era markings, so off the top of my head that would put it around 1986-87, give or take. Patrick Martin's Canadian Military Aircraft Finish and Markings, 1968-2004 would be the go-to reference on that, but I don't have my copy handy at the moment, unfortunately.

(I've always found it slightly ironic that while the FIP markings were apparently derided by some CF members at the time as civilianizing -the so-called "Post Office scheme"-, the CP-140 fleet took on a far more "tactical" appearance during the changeover).

Late edit: CanMilAir's decal section is back online, and he gives 1984 as the introduction date for the FIP era grey CP-140 scheme.

Edited by Sabre_days

OK I'll bite. One of these in 48th scale;

• Bolingbroke Floatplane (intended for non-injection GB a while back)
  • Skink AA tank (if the promised resin turret set appears by then, I've tried making my own twice and given up)
  • CF-100 in Belgian Air Force service (just to be awkward!) I have a 48th HobbyCraft kit, are there any decent references so I can add the missing detail? I think I have a lot to do, the Bolingbroke may be easier!!:whistle:

Cheers

Nick

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SleeperService said:

OK I'll bite. One of these in 48th scale;

• Bolingbroke Floatplane (intended for non-injection GB a while back)
  • Skink AA tank (if the promised resin turret set appears by then, I've tried making my own twice and given up)
  • CF-100 in Belgian Air Force service (just to be awkward!) I have a 48th HobbyCraft kit, are there any decent references so I can add the missing detail? I think I have a lot to do, the Bolingbroke may be easier!!:whistle:

Cheers

Nick

I found a lot of reference searching images of CF-100s and finding preserved ones. The Belgian ones are identical, just different colour schemes. The Hobbycraft's landing gears will need help, especially the nose gear, at least the 1/72 version. There are two CF-100s here in Winnipeg, ones up on a pedestal and the other was inside the museum but now sits outside rotting away on airport property not to far from a chain link fence. I may be able to get you some photos if you need of the outside of it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, busnproplinerfan said:

I found a lot of reference searching images of CF-100s and finding preserved ones. The Belgian ones are identical, just different colour schemes. The Hobbycraft's landing gears will need help, especially the nose gear, at least the 1/72 version. There are two CF-100s here in Winnipeg, ones up on a pedestal and the other was inside the museum but now sits outside rotting away on airport property not to far from a chain link fence. I may be able to get you some photos if you need of the outside of it.

@busnproplinerfan The high-lighted sentence tells me most of what I need to know :thanks: I get a bit fed-up reading comments along the lines of

nice model, but the Bhutan AF B-52s carried IFF Mk3 to match their Beaufighters, not the standard USAF setup.

I got the kit in a bag and the Belgian AF decals from trades here on BM so I hope to keep it all 'In-house'. Now to go searching. Thanks again.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SleeperService said:

@busnproplinerfan The high-lighted sentence tells me most of what I need to know :thanks: I get a bit fed-up reading comments along the lines of

I got the kit in a bag and the Belgian AF decals from trades here on BM so I hope to keep it all 'In-house'. Now to go searching. Thanks again.

I was reading the Larry Milberry book on CF-100s and it has a section on Belgium. I didn't find any differences aside from maybe avionics. Do some quick snooping just in case. No one would know anyway if you missed a rivet or had the wrong dirt on the tyres.

• Like 1

Well it would be just plain rude not to! I am currently working through a small stash of Canadiana but I can always leave one aside for this or I could always go out and buy more! I have a couple earmarked for other GBs like a Lancaster and a CF104, My Aurora would never be completed within the timescale of a GB (even though I haven't yet glued any of the kit parts together!) so that leaves my C-17 as a prime candidate but I am sure I could expand that list. Just a shame we didn't think of this earlier and had it this year for Canadas 150th Birthday!

Bob

• Like 1

Re The CF-100, Obscureco does a nice resin set to 1/72 for the Hobbycraft kit.  It has nice wheel bays and cockpit. Worth trying to get hold of Chris at said 'company' A pretty good service Well I had good service anyway. The set does make a bit of difference to the kit.

Just a heads up for those that look interested in  the 'Clunk'!

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 1:49 AM, Sabre_days said:

According to T. F. J. Leversedge's Canadian Combat and Support Aircraft, the first Auroras were taken on strength in 1980, I'd guess initial operational capability was sometime between then and 1981 (I'm pretty sure 407 Squadron at Comox received them in spring or summer of 1982, but one of the east coast squadrons probably got them first). The switch to the grey scheme coincided with the change from Symmetrical to FIP era markings, so off the top of my head that would put it around 1986-87, give or take. Patrick Martin's Canadian Military Aircraft Finish and Markings, 1968-2004 would be the go-to reference on that, but I don't have my copy handy at the moment, unfortunately.

(I've always found it slightly ironic that while the FIP markings were apparently derided by some CF members at the time as civilianizing -the so-called "Post Office scheme"-, the CP-140 fleet took on a far more "tactical" appearance during the changeover).

Late edit: CanMilAir's decal section is back online, and he gives 1984 as the introduction date for the FIP era grey CP-140 scheme.

Your fed gov took exception to me using the term 'Post Office' for markings - FIP started in 1983

It appears a complete change is now under way ..... RCAF,roundel,ARC

9 hours ago, Paul J said:

Re The CF-100, Obscureco does a nice resin set to 1/72 for the Hobbycraft kit.  It has nice wheel bays and cockpit. Worth trying to get hold of Chris at said 'company' A pretty good service Well I had good service anyway. The set does make a bit of difference to the kit.

There is a new book on Clunk markings book coming out in April ..

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Paul J said:

I have a set of those cockpit parts, they are quite good. Obsecuro's main wheels I find are better replaced with a set of F-4B Phantom main wheels, not quite exact but a lot closer and have almost the correct spoke pattern. He was supposed to send me some other part but never did get back to me. That was after I made note of the main wheels. Maybe I upset him? There is a CF-100 on display very near Obsecuro's place in California.

• Like 1