Hi all

Fatboyslow

Hi everyone, I thought I would introduce myself 😀

My my name is Phil and I have zero experience building models! I am in my early 40's with no artistic abilities but after finding my way here from a mtb forum I am very intrigued and want to give it a go!

I have joined to get advice and tips, I accept that my efforts will never match some of the builds I have seen on here! I have 2 young children a busy job and race solo mtb 12 hr races so am after a hobby I can quietly lose myself in for a few hours at a time!

i like the idea of military models, but have no idea what would be a good starting point! I have Alton models and Farnham models close by so will probably buy something from there I think 😀

So any hints for a or a complete novice? 

What subject matter are you most interested in - planes, cars, trucks, sci-fi, real space, fantasy, ships?

What scales would you prefer to build in?

My advice would be to start with the simplest kits in whatever genre you like. In other words, don't spend too much money at first but use these easier models to pratice the basics in assembling and painting and decalling.

There are lots of "how to" videos on you tube (some better than others) and there are many books out there which cover the basics. Magazine articles can also be helpful.

The other area is gathering together a set of basic tools, brushes, paints and glues/cements. Again, there is a lo of material out there to guide you through what you need to get started.

Before you rush off and buy paints and glue, I would suggest buying an Airfix starter kit. There you get the paints needed for the model, as well as glue and brushes. It's not the best paint, but it will get you into the hobby and is a good way to get yourself "learning" as such.

I second what Drift says here, the airfix starter kits are simple builds but lay the foundation to greater things.

Also for the price tag of the kits you really can't go wrong, remember that members here will be more than willing to offer up advice and tips should you run into any problems 😀

Welcome to the forums 

Edited by BulldogModels
typo

:welcome: aboard Phil - it's surprising how many cyclists of all persuasions seem to also like models.  I used to ride too when I was younger & healthier <cough> :bristow:

1 hour ago, t3utonict3rror said:

Welcome me to the forums 

:welcome: to the forums.  That ok? ;)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mike said:

:welcome: aboard Phil - it's surprising how many cyclists of all persuasions seem to also like models.  I used to ride too when I was younger & healthier <cough> :bristow:

:welcome: to the forums.  That ok? ;)

Mike :o I'm sorry for the typo haha, that's embarrassing. 

Welcome aboard Phil. Great place to learn. When i got back in, started with an old Tamiya 222 KIT. Bought can of spray paint from local DIY store, very close match to Panzer Grey. Quick spray job and was done over 3-4 days. Turned out nice. Depends on what you like however, but would cast another vote for an Airfix starter kit. Still ride my road bike , but today the roads are icy, so staying inside.

John:D 

3 hours ago, t3utonict3rror said:

Mike :o I'm sorry for the typo haha, that's embarrassing. 

:lol:

5 hours ago, Panzer Vor!!! said:

MTB======Mountain biking ????? :shrug:

I thought he meant a  Motor Torpedo Boat forum  :(

:doh:

Many thanks all!

Airfix starter kit it is then!

I like both military vehicles and planes, so I might try one of each and see which one grabs me more! 

I will be seeking advice but looking at the in progress threads I won't post any pictures! Those builds are AMAZING! I wouldn't want to sully the forum with my fingerprint covered first attempts 😀

Welcome aboard.  

Good choice of kit: some of the cockpit parts are a little fiddly so a good set of tweezers will help, especially those with a reverse action (squeeze to open, the arms are crossed halfway down to permit this) which generally hold the parts without too much pressure and reduces the risk of pinging parts across the room and into the maw of the ever-hungry Carpet Monster.

As Drift said the starter set paints ain't brilliant, so give the parts a quick wash in warm soapy water and rinse them off before starting, and maybe buy a pot of acrylic primer to sling on first: grey and white are generally regarded as good starting points.

i assume you'll be brush painting, so invest in a small size 0 or 1 brush for detail work and a small- or medium-sized chisel-edged/flat brush for larger areas as that'll reduce the likelihood of ridges in the paint.

This is one kit where you will need to study and follow the instructions: the assembly sequence is unusual and doesn't allow build up of the wings and fuselage as separate units before joining them.  Just take your time and enjoy it.

Post some pictures of your work (being a complete IT numpty I've never yet managed it) as it'll help to inspire other new members and to explain any problems you might run into.  All of us on here have been where you are now, some starting younger than others, and we've all got experience and information that we'll happily share with you.

Just go and have some fun with it.