RNAS Portland again sort of

junglierating

fairly hot of the press...but the german navy (said this before) require extra sea king for training so they are getting a number of ex RN sk mk5s .

Heliops will be operating them out of the former MCA hangar at Portland which of course is on the site of RNAS Portlands hardstanding.

Fear god honour the king

• Like 4

1 hour ago, junglierating said:

First cab down to the Cornish air station for a bit of deep maintenance (mu) and a bit of work on the 290.....that's a code for anyone who knows about Sea kings;)

Meanwhile for colour no red or god forbid yellow.

A'bit of work' on the 290, LOL. Rip it out and start again😂

12 hours ago, Darby said:

I remember the sights and sounds of RNAS Portland with 772 just across from us in the main admin building and 700L, 702, 815 and 829 all there at one time. Happy days

Great days indeed Darby, I was chatting to a pinky who was on 737, when I was on 772 today. Spinning dits and drinking coffee, excellent way to spend the morning. 

They used to to say the admin building was haunted, don't know about that but had my share of scares on Commanders table and in the UPO.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Wafu said:

Great days indeed Darby, I was chatting to a pinky who was on 737, when I was on 772 today. Spinning dits and drinking coffee, excellent way to spend the morning. 

They used to to say the admin building was haunted, don't know about that but had my share of scares on Commanders table and in the UPO.

The admin building did have a bit of an atmosphere. By the time I left Portland in '97 after my second draft there the MET office were the only people in the building 24/7. The MCO was closed overnight and security had all moved to the main gate. In the office we were eventually down to one person on overnight. Many were the times the motion sensor lights would switch on or the swing doors at either end of the top corridor would swing open when no one was about. Although security did do rounds at regular intervals often it was outside these times it happened. Still can't explain it to this day.

And as for those phots on the wall on the next deck down of all the previous CO's, you always felt like the eyes would follow you when you walked past them. Wouldn't mind having a look round the building now to see what it's like.

EDIT: Still think it's the best draft I've ever had, even to this day. The only air station time I've had since was 3 months at Prestwick in '01.

Edited by Darby
forgot to add.
  • Like 2