Between the wars...1/48 Junkers Ju52 Nightbomber Austrian Airforce

Reini78

Finally my dad has some free space in his "factory" to start his next project for our homeland collection. This time going big and doing a Ju52 with the great ProModeler kit. I guess most of you didn´t know that, besides Austria´s civil airline, also our airforce used Tante Ju´s. They bought 3 aircraft in 1937, one was used as a staff aircraft and trainer for instrument/night flying, the other two were used as nightbombers. In 1938 they went back into German inventory..

stay tuned

DSC_0001_zpsv41i18yt.jpg

DSC_0002_zpsxfqclq3u.jpg

• Like 8

Neither my dad nor me knew all the details about the Ju52 versions before. Now that we dove into this subject we found out, that you can´t do a correct bomber with the ProModeler kit. It includes the neccessary covered main wheels and the basket for the gunner on the underside but the kit depicts mostly a "g4e" version or higher. The bomber was a "g3e" version and had partly a different fuselage to say no cargo doors on the roof and the right fuselage side.

We saw that the Revell civil version kit had the correct sidewall, so we spent some more money and bought the kit.

above is the military kit, below the civil one

DSC_0004_zps5jhizsre.jpg

Regarding the roof, gonna try to fill the cargo door. Another option would be to cut the roof parts apart and use the front part from the civil version but there the mount for the antenna mast is in the wrong position...

DSC_0005_zps7pbe1y7z.jpg

• Like 2

without the corrugated surface, the roof door would be easy to remove,

only could tone down a bit the door panel lines, guess with the final camo it will disappear a bit more

DSC_0007_zpsxhgp7flg.jpg

some work on the engines

DSC_0008_zpszjbg1jwu.jpg

• Like 2

started to paint the Austrian flag on the rudder

DSC_0001_zpsdqfbjtnc.jpg

the military kit fuselage halves have the tailwheel mount molded on, the civil kit fuselage halves haven´t and the kit comes only with a tailspur, so my dad cut of the wheel parts from the military halves and glued it to the civil halves

DSC_0003_zpsywgg1d7f.jpg

primed the whole thing

DSC_0004_zpsbdcyzvuw.jpg

the civil fuselage halves have holes for the early style exhaust which our bomber hasn´t, therefore some filling with plastic rods, cutting and sanding

DSC_0005_zpsmtodkked.jpg

DSC_0006_zpsbodxmsws.jpg

• Like 6

Hi Reini78,

I've been following your topic with interest, I'm Portuguese and in 1936 the Portuguese Army Air Force bought 10 Ju 52/3m g3e "auxiliary bombers", strangely our bombers had both the dorsal gunner's position and the civil fresh air intake on top of the fuselage so making a model is even more complicated!

Image31%20B.jpg

For the record, the Portuguese Air Force operated a mix of the 10 original g3e, 2 ex-Norwegian g8e (all re-engined with surplus T-6 P&W engines and cowlings) and 15 French-built Amiot A.A.C.1 Toucan until 1972 (!).

Keep up the good work!

Rui  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Rui Silva said:

Hi Reini78,

I've been following your topic with interest, I'm Portuguese and in 1936 the Portuguese Army Air Force bought 10 Ju 52/3m g3e "auxiliary bombers", strangely our bombers had both the dorsal gunner's position and the civil fresh air intake on top of the fuselage so making a model is even more complicated!

Image31%20B.jpg

For the record, the Portuguese Air Force operated a mix of the 10 original g3e, 2 ex-Norwegian g8e (all re-engined with surplus T-6 P&W engines and cowlings) and 15 French-built Amiot A.A.C.1 Toucan until 1972 (!).

Keep up the good work!

Rui  

hi Rui!

nice pic, is a good looking scheme too

a pity Revell hasn´t done a correct bomber version, sometimes I wish that the loads of 1/72 kits were available in 1/48, I think there is every ever built aircraft available in the smaller scale :D

regarding the Ju52 bombers, as I´ve seen on pics, there are minor differences from country to country, even, as you mentioned, in a country´s fleet

• Like 2