impromptu: All suggestions are wellcome

it's been around 16 hours and the product is definitely solid on the surface, if i hit it with a toothpick it does that plastic "toc toc" sound and i won't even scratch it. So i'm pouring some more now.

i have to say it looks definitely good, having added some ocra pigments really gives a muddy look at it, you can still see the bottom, you can see the smashed plants inside it that looks really really good. only thing is, around the matrix of plants it tends to sink in a bit, don't know if it gets sucked by the plants or what. i think there's not much i can do for that. 

i'm starting to think this diorama will turn out better than expected and for that i want to thank you Badder for your suggestions, the title was impromptu and i was right, i started with an idea in mind and i ended up with a totally different one that is much better than what i originally had in mind and this mostly thanks to you.

well this is definitely a good way to exploit an old kit, not particularly well built and not worthy of displaying.

Edited by cambridge
  • Like 1

3th layer of water poured. It's now 54 grams of product and it's around full, i think it will require just another layer and the main pool will be completed. 

i've added some black and metallic blue pigments behind the plane to simulate a leak, at the moment it looks quite good, i hope it doesn't spread too much when settling. the prochima product is a joy to work with. 

[edit] after half an hour it just slided significantly on the right, probably cause water is settling and the surface is not exactly flat, but this should not be a problem, it still looks good, i'll keep it monitored. 

i had two minor leaks cause i didn't consider to seal the wall between the wood and the banks, i've added some PVA to seal it on the run, it will require some extra work to remove its trace, not much of a  concern, i'll probably add some putty with sand on it and paint it brown, shouldn't even be able to see it when its over. 

the plane now is embedded in the resin so it can't be moved anymore. i also have an AK wet effect bottle here, so i'll play around with it when this is over to wet even parts of the plane that are not submerged. . 

the rice plants will be trimmed quite a lot, the idea is that they emerge for around 5 mm, they are now around 1,5cm, i've kept them long in order to have full control over them.

when i'm finished with the 1st pool i'll fill up the other two ( i still have to plant rice in one of them )

DSKPplH.jpg

shwBByA.jpg

rhQjVtC.jpg

94udTHC.jpg

Edited by cambridge
  • Like 2

on a funny note, on the last picture, do you see the big botch on the fuselage, on the right side, right under the back part of the canopy?  

does it look good doesn't it? 

well actually that wasn't intended, i was just using the electric drill to cut the holes in the flaps and i didn't notice i was eating away part of the fuselage plastic with the rotating mandrel. 

At first i was quite shocked and upset, but it took me little time to attempt a solution. And i think it actually ended up to be a nice addiction to the plane damages :D

Edited by cambridge
  • Like 1

Looking good Cambridge!

Thank you for your kind plugging of my nickname! :D As for the 'dimpling' around the bunches of rice plants, I'm afraid there's not much you can do about that. The surface tension of the liquid and the slight shrinkage when curing are the causes. It's physics and you can't really change the laws of physics!

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

you should thank me for not having called you Bladder :D it's not the first time i mess up reading your name i'm sorry :D 

by the way, if anyone is curious, this is how the leak looked the moment it was poured,

Cy5Z9PD.jpg

this is how it looks not that it has settled

7bFVehe.jpg

fortunately i think it still looks good. i don't know how much is the natural behaviour of the fluid and how much the fact that i'm not sure if the surface i've placed this thing on is actually levelled.

and on another curious note, the coffee base is still there. No mould, no deteriorating, no funny smell. I think i'm gonna recycle it with another model, maybe i can come up witha a normandy feeling to put on display this 1/72 fury i made 

51pnF2n.jpg

Edited by cambridge
  • Like 1

ok the usual update. the main pool i would say it is finished. i could rise the water level a couple of mm more but i think it wouldn't add anything.

i've reinforced one bank as you may probably notice, i'll blend them in properly when i'll remove the wooden edges. 

im starting to fill the second pool, the one under the wing, now i've poured the first layer, created some mud effect and i'll wait to see if this one doesn't leak too.

the wet effect you can see on the wing in the picture is done with ak wet effect fluid

jepT0UG.jpg

i'm planning to make a little change. instead of a third field of rice, i think i'll fill part of that with earth and i'll convert it in a water channel. i think that will make it a little less boring otherwise it would be all around rice fields, two is enough. on the small piece of flat ground there i than can add some minor detail too, like border rocks, or a fence, something not to big cause i don't want it to block the view from the propeller side.  this is a sketch of what i'm talkin about

D5K3Ail.jpg

[edit] can't resist i've already added the bank. when putty is dry i'll blend it in. 

Edited by cambridge
  • Like 1

added the channel. Any suggestion on how to fill the little field i produced?

i was thinking i could try to apply the static grass i purchased, obviously i have to build the applicator first.

is there something nice i could place there? it's basically a 3cm x 8cm triangle

hiQOipG.jpg

hJREbda.jpg

Edited by cambridge
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, cambridge said:

added the channel. Any suggestion on how to fill the little field i produced?

i was thinking i could try to apply the static grass i purchased, obviously i have to build the applicator first.

is there something nice i could place there? it's basically a 3cm x 8cm triangle

hiQOipG.jpg

hJREbda.jpg

Looking the biz now cambridge well done.

How about a cart track for the left over triangle? You could try the static grass and have tracks as extra interest.

Dave

• Like 2

1 minute ago, fingers said:

Looking the biz now cambridge well done.

How about a cart track for the left over triangle? You could try the static grass and have tracks as extra interest.

Dave

that could be an idea. The space is very small, maybe instead of a cart track i simply do a single trail.

plan for now is to finish with the water so i can than take off the wooden banks so keep on with the suggestions it will take some time before i start with it.

also, does anyone know a trick, when using a material like this resin water, to obtain a mirror like surface? This water effect is really awesome, i'm loving using this material ( and i don't love the fact that i love it cause it costs :D )  but is completely see trough, it would be nice to obtain a sort of polarized effect on the surface. 

• Like 1

Hi Cambridge,

Looking fantastic.

I wouldn't put anything on the surface of the water. I think it's as good as you're going to get it. The product I use advises not to varnish it. As for the triangle, how about a dead tree with one of your herons sitting in it? It could be thinking to itself 'if humans were meant of fly, Buddha would have given them wings.'

Rearguards,

Badder

Edited by Badder

channel is finished, i think also the other pool is finished, it's level is a little lower than the first pool but it's not even noticable. 

used clean water to suggest is running water and not swampy water like in the fields. I've also added some green on the sides.  

this may mean that in a couple of days when i'm sure this has settled i can think of removing the wooden sides.

in the meanwhile i think i'm going to build my static grass applicator and add much grass on the banks. only problem i still have to find a way to change the grass color cause the one i have is not suited for this diorama. and now that i think about it, how the hell am i going to apply grass on the bank under the plane wing? 

FNp3Ykb.jpg

atjCOrz.jpg

• Like 2

channel is finished, i think also the other pool is finished, it's level is a little lower than the first pool but it's not even noticable. 

used clean water to suggest is running water and not swampy water like in the fields. I've also added some green on the sides.  

this may mean that in a couple of days when i'm sure this has settled i can think of removing the wooden sides.

in the meanwhile i think i'm going to build my static grass applicator and add much grass on the banks. only problem i have, the grass i have is the wrong color. therefore i think it will take 30 to 50 days if i order a couple of bags of grass from a different color so the diorama may end up on halt. 

Also how the hell am i going to apply grass on the bank under the plane wing? 

FNp3Ykb.jpg

atjCOrz.jpg

Edited by cambridge
  • Like 3

Cambridge,that's brilliant.

An aside.... if you want to colour static grass the best way to do it is when it's stuck in the ground. Wet brush (wash) and dry-brush the fibres. You can do both without affecting the 'ground'. It's far easier to do it then than try to colour the grass while it's loose.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

thank you. i think i'll buy a couple more bags of different color and wait the usual month till they arrive, and than i'll update the discussion. For now i'll just try to make those rice plants looks better. 

watching the final result i think it would have been even better to show the plane crashing into a reed bed but i'll save that for another diorama :D 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

a little update. I've decided to build a "Japanese style box" as a frame for the diorama ( i will finish to sand it when the thing is over ). 

I'm also actually waiting for some grass to arrive i want to add. In the while i've also added some more mud under the hood and painted some mess on the submerged wing. 

O6PRHbh.jpg

Edited by cambridge

Hi Cambridge,

You can't beat a nice dovetail joint! That'll look great sanded down and painted up with a nice gloss black with some gold embellishment and lacquered in the Japanese style.

I have to say that I actually preferred it when you had more bare mud on that bank... it kind of looked like the plane had scraped it from the bottom of the paddy and thrown it up onto the bank in front of it. Now it looks like the plane came to a rest more gently, after a long skid. That's not to say it's not an excellent little 'vignette' because it is. In my mind I just picture the plane coming to a rest more violently!

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

On 7/6/2017 at 15:12, Badder said:

Hi Cambridge,

You can't beat a nice dovetail joint! That'll look great sanded down and painted up with a nice gloss black with some gold embellishment and lacquered in the Japanese style.

I have to say that I actually preferred it when you had more bare mud on that bank... it kind of looked like the plane had scraped it from the bottom of the paddy and thrown it up onto the bank in front of it. Now it looks like the plane came to a rest more gently, after a long skid. That's not to say it's not an excellent little 'vignette' because it is. In my mind I just picture the plane coming to a rest more violently!

Rearguards,

Badder

well my idea was actually to have it slide in the water and almost gently stop it against the bank, i mean those banks are not that big and a plane should already be quite slow to stop against it without destroying itself or the bank. Still, today just arrived a couple of bags of green grass, i'm planning to pour it over the first layer of green flocking. after that i'll rework a little more the mud too,so there's still room to make things better ( or worse ) i'll add some pictures once i've added the grass. 

Edited by cambridge

ok here it is after applying static grass with my homemade applicator ( you really need one of those if you're going to play with static grass ). I think the  result exceeds my expectations, it looks pretty convincing to me.

So I'm gonna rework the mud around the nose and add some more but the rest of the diorama i can say is done.

Grass i think is done.

Water i've added some powder on the surface to make it more muddy, i think is done. 

I've also added mud and dirt to the submerged wing. I've sparkled the planes with little glue drops to make it reflective as to mimic the water splash on the plane, don't know if you can get that effect in the picture but under the right light it looks decent.

i may think to try to improve the details on rice plants somehow.

I also may even think to rework from zero the two henrons, i've gained some experience with green stuff and i probably can do better than that. Wings for example may come out better if i cut the wing frame in brass, give it shape than glue plasticard feathers over that. Well, i'll do some experiment aniway.

Well here some pictures at the current state ( as usual taken from the phone so don't mind the quality ):

from the front 

DrpZUic.jpg

from the back ( that photoetched eduard kit for the cockpit is doing his job ):

kAri1Wz.jpg

from the side

8G30gQ2.jpg

and a couple of closeups

zwWOwnB.jpg

xRrE8ZA.jpg

T30vHFC.jpg

P6GjSFe.jpg

and here it is in it's wooden box:

6EdXQX6.jpg

a note on the box: i'm gonna sand it down even more but i'm not planning to paint it, the inspiration in fact ar Masu boxes wich are actually used as glasses to drink sake like this one

24414186-empty-japanese-wooden-box-masu-

it would be lovely to engrave the description of the diorama with a pyrography pen on the side of it but i've never done it and i'm not sure i have the skills, i may do some experiment on some scrap wood and see what happens.

let me end with a special thanks to Badder wich has been very patient and precious in directing me toward the final result you see here, i really appreciated his tips and suggestions and i hope what i've come up with is something he could appreciate. 

Edited by cambridge

well, since i'm a lover of japanese planes and this kit is both cheap and with good details i may think to buy another one and do it the proper way this time, but considering i wasn't satisfied with the way i had finished this one i think this is a pretty fair way to recycle a kit: if you've some kit you're bored with, go with the "destroyed diorama" i guarantee you it's a lot of fun. 

Edited by cambridge