a questione about mould

cambridge

don't even know if it's the right name, i'm talking about this:

Mould+Worx+(Mould,+Mold,+HVAC,+Duct+Reme

now i can see the baffled expression on your face, let me explain. I'm the kind of guy who likes to experiment with recicled materials and stuff in his modelling and dioramas more than anything is the perfect field where you can experiment with a lot of things. Among those i was thinking about using organic products like real dirt or what i was thinking was to use things like coffee powder for the ground or tea for leaves and things like that.

My only concern is, since i've no experience on the field, how could i possibly avoid mould to grow on it when using organic materials ( well now that i think about it a layer of mould would make a perfect grass on a 1/72 scale :D ) ? Is it enough to spray some sanitizer product over it when finished? 

Edited by cambridge

Most food products will  have things growing on them and rot/degrade to compost, insect infestation or the Biological WMD you've achieved in the photo and pose a health risk. Use by dates etc.?

Having said that Renaissance painters (1300-1600) used Egg Tempera for mixing with ground  pigments so it could be "coloured" in a liquid state. For some reason this Tempera doesn't change state and degrade.

Wouldn't fancy a day or so near your experiments . Brilliant for a Porton Down Diorama though!  I'd also wear a mask round those two Petri dishes .:P

Edited by bzn20
  • Like 1

well i hear what you say but with correct conservation you can work around these  problems, ever heard of plastinated bodies? if they can conserve those i can eventually find i way to make some coffee powder not turn into the next pandemic plague   :D 

• Like 1

Water would be your enemy. If the tea, coffee grounds etc were dry when used and importantly kept dry after use they should not significantly degrade.

After all lichen has been used in models for years, as is wood, both organic, both rot if wet but are stable when dry.    

1 hour ago, Nutsabout said:

Water would be your enemy. If the tea, coffee grounds etc were dry when used and importantly kept dry after use they should not significantly degrade.

After all lichen has been used in models for years, as is wood, both organic, both rot if wet but are stable when dry.    

well i'm using a mix of water+vinilic glue to apply it, but i'm also letting it dry afterward, i've placed the thing over my radiator. It's not the fastest way to work but i'm checking it right now and most of the material is stuck in its place and it both feels dry and looks dry. It doesnt even smell. i'm planning to spray some see trough products, like hairspry, to fix it, and than add some more layers.

again this is pure experimenting, it's basically for free since it's not brand new coffee powder but the one i would throw away after drinking my coffee.

if it works good, if it doesn't i didn't pay a penny for it, just wasted a small time.

and it does not look that bad

e7i22NW.jpg

Edited by cambridge
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I use lots of natural materials in dioramas.

If it's mixed with a white glue I don't see any reason it wouldn't be stable.

One thing I always do with natural materials before using them is to dry and sterilize them in a microwave first.

A minute or so will do, but keep an eye on it.

Leaves will burst into flame id you leave them too long...

Zero looks good btw!