SU-27 Flanker, Red 36

Tyxxx

• 3 months later...

How are you getting on with this Andy?

It's a bit of a coincidence but the Zvezda 1/72 Su-33 should be arriving in Bedale very soon and will be next trips project. You're going to be fed up of me pestering you for info, and to think I joined Darlo club because I paint figures, how did this happen? 🤣🤣🤣

3 hours ago, Roger Newsome said:

How are you getting on with this Andy?

It's a bit of a coincidence but the Zvezda 1/72 Su-33 should be arriving in Bedale very soon and will be next trips project. You're going to be fed up of me pestering you for info, and to think I joined Darlo club because I paint figures, how did this happen? 🤣🤣🤣

I have been on hold for a couple of months while I moved back to Darlington. Modelling room is nearly set up so I will hopefully be back on it this week. I have a couple of bits to do in the cockpit and I can get the canopy on. Intakes need painting inside and fitting then ready to start painting. I was spraying the metal areas around the engines before work stopped but I may strip it and start again as I acquired some Alclads at the Tyneside show a couple of weeks ago. Struggling to get the right and accurate Alamos for it. I have never sprayed an aircraft nor finished one for around 25 years so on a steep learning curve. I joined the club when I came out of the Air Force as I was returning to the hobby and needed advice on figure painting. I have returned to my first love though in the last three years, just need to finish something. I am making life difficult for myself though as I am building 1/72 kits as fliers to add extra interest, rather than rows of statics and I hated painted white undercarriage, although I was using brushes then. I am trying to build famous aircraft from history, hence this Flanker, or aircraft I photographed whilst in the mob. Complicates things as I have to fit pilots and sometimes move control surfaces. 1/48 kits I am planning as doing statics on their undercarriage.

I have Flanker references as well if you need them.

• Like 1

There's a stand included with the Su-33 kit so it'll be a flier. I'm also not overly keen on assembling and painting landing gear but have persevered in the hope I'll get better at it..

Funnily enough I'm going to Ripon on Monday with the intention of getting some Alclads, this will be the first time using them for me too.

8 minutes ago, Roger Newsome said:

There's a stand included with the Su-33 kit so it'll be a flier. I'm also not overly keen on assembling and painting landing gear but have persevered in the hope I'll get better at it..

Funnily enough I'm going to Ripon on Monday with the intention of getting some Alclads, this will be the first time using them for me too.

Whats at Ripon? A stand was selling them for 2 quid each at the Tyneside show. Although they didn't have a full selection I picked up five which should cover the Flankers back end. Are you adding a pilot or leaving the seat empty?

1 minute ago, Tyxxx said:

Whats at Ripon? A stand was selling them for 2 quid each at the Tyneside show. Although they didn't have a full selection I picked up five which should cover the Flankers back end. Are you adding a pilot or leaving the seat empty?

There's a model shop in Ripon.

https://veteranus.co.uk

There's a pilot included in the kit, in fact two. A seated figure for the cockpit and also a standing one. There's also a ladder included if I remember correctly.

10 minutes ago, Roger Newsome said:

There's a model shop in Ripon.

https://veteranus.co.uk

There's a pilot included in the kit, in fact two. A seated figure for the cockpit and also a standing one. There's also a ladder included if I remember correctly.

Just looked at that site. Looks quiet good. I added the shoulder straps to mine, as I said, making life difficult

• Like 1