Tamiya 1/48th Tomcat

Shaun

I love the way this kit builds compared to the Hasegawa kit,the design is very clever and its hard to make mistakes with any of the construction.The undercarriage was a right pain on the Hasegawa kit, on this kit assembly is simple but very detailed. I've added the Eduard Resin wheels to my build, which have a slack fit between main hub and tyre? but it will be simple to fix.

Wheels_zpsjcrxpgvk.jpg

Shaun.

• Like 2

Because the rim looks like it flares outwards a touch, if you sanded more off of the back of the hubs so they sit deeper into the tire would that not close the gap? Obviously not so much that then the tire ends up higher than the rim...

Ps I suppose you've tried it but what about swapping them with the rear face of the hubs to see if that improves things? 

Edited by Tony Oliver

Its the same on the rear hub with the brake detail for slack fit, you can't sand the rear of the parts because of a locating lug for the hub to drop onto.Also have a look at this photo of the real wheel, the rim sits well proud of the tyre.

ModelGrafix+8+Finemolds+F14+Tomcat+%2528

Great start and I will be following progress closely. I've got this kit but to be honest, I waiting to do a late model F-14A. It will be interesting to see what comes first…..the aftermarket parts (in particular the under nose sensors and ECM parts) from an enterprising manufacturer to do the late-model F-14A or A+ or a Tamiya re-boxing of the kit with the additional parts.   

36 minutes ago, Tiger331 said:

Great start and I will be following progress closely. I've got this kit but to be honest, I waiting to do a late model F-14A. It will be interesting to see what comes first…..the aftermarket parts (in particular the under nose sensors and ECM parts) from an enterprising manufacturer to do the late-model F-14A or A+ or a Tamiya re-boxing of the kit with the additional parts.   

The after market parts are already out, Steel Beach have the TCS pod, ECM bulges and NACES vent panel for the gunbay as well as a forthcoming F-14B conversion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tiger331 said:

Its not too hard to make late  F-14A , The B it harder because of the engine change and NACA vents around the gun muzzle panel. I'll post up something later that may interest you.

TBH, once you start researching you will be surprised how many of the TPS schemes are not late mod aircraft, the only thing to change is the reinforcing braces on the fins.Most jets pre 90's are lacking the ECM fairings.

• Like 1

I'm not expected Tamiya to release a B or D Tomcat  that quick so as an experiment I done a little bit of trials work with the Aires Resin GE exhausts for the Hasegawa kit.With a bit of removing resin/trimming and sanding they will fit just fine with only a small area to reshape to match the contours on the shrouds.

F110%20rear_zpsu1su7vrk.jpg