F-16CJ (Tamiya, 1/72)

alex

I think I will seal it with some Modelmaster Metallizer sealant.

BTW, I was looking for the correct colour of the chaff/flare cartridges, and I found this useful site: http://www.chemringcm.com/products/air-products.aspx  It looks like I will make them white (spectral flare 2x1") and grey (chaff, 1x1"). However it looks like Tamiya has moulded only 2x1"-Launchers. A bit nitpicking, aren't we? ;)

Alex

On 3/6/2017 at 4:22 PM, alex said:

I think I will seal it with some Modelmaster Metallizer sealant.

BTW, I was looking for the correct colour of the chaff/flare cartridges, and I found this useful site: http://www.chemringcm.com/products/air-products.aspx  It looks like I will make them white (spectral flare 2x1") and grey (chaff, 1x1"). However it looks like Tamiya has moulded only 2x1"-Launchers. A bit nitpicking, aren't we? ;)

Alex

I wouldn't even know where to look on a Viper so will be copying you!!

• 2 weeks later...

Chaff/Flares were easy to paint, I first made the frame with alu, then I painted the single cartridges with heavily diluted acrylic white and grey.

42-chaffs_zpszbzfbfwn.jpg

Yesterday, I airbrushed the add-ons with tamiya gloss cote, a good base for a washing and decaling. First decals are already on, I tried the tamiya decals for the fuel tanks. They work nicely with microsol.

43-gloss_zpsxw9ubyki.jpg

Alex

• Like 6

Yeah, amazing that with 9 stations, only 2 are used for offensive loads, and several sensors had to be attached somewhere else. Whereas the 5th generation planes look pretty clean, even when fully armed...

Alex

The nice little end of the fuselage, perfectly painted with four different colours. Would be a real shame if I mixed up the top and bottom grey... WAIT...

:doh:  Ok, this morning, I removed the paint, and today I resprayed the bottom grey. this time on the correct side!

44-wrong_zpsqijlnzwe.jpg

BTW, I just put some decals on the ordnance and tanks, they start to look really mean now with the yellow and brown stripes! Decals are a pleasure to work with, both the tamiya and astra decals ones.

Alex

• Like 3

On March 19, 2017 at 11:38 PM, alex said:

Yeah, amazing that with 9 stations, only 2 are used for offensive loads, and several sensors had to be attached somewhere else. Whereas the 5th generation planes look pretty clean, even when fully armed...

Alex

Well that's the rub isn't it. While internal carriage is a prerequisite for low observability.... it has major implications for its operational employment. The average tactical fighter (F-16) effective deliverable load out is about 1000~1500lbs, for something like 450nm Combat radius. The F-35's is 4000 lbs at 625nm. The parasitic drag of all of those stations filled is pretty significant. Its something that's lost in the discussion.  

Still I wish there was more of a fondness for the CJ... its such an underappreciated workhorse of the past 20 years. It is a cornerstone of allied airpower. 

Edited by -Neu-
  • Like 1

:doh: doh!!  we've all done something similar before.

least it was a simple fix and easily solved with some paint rather than something more drastic!

Am looking forward to seeing her all come together!

Ordnance almost completed. Just some minor touch-ups needed. Tanks and HARM from the Hasegawa Falcon, HTS, AN/ALQ-131 and Sniper from several Hasegawa weapons set, and AAM included in the tamiya kit.

45-ordnance_zps9qajiesg.jpg

First decals on, they settle nicely with microsol.

46-decals_zpshrfcroc8.jpg

Alex

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

There are a lot of decals, but still some are missing. Like the plain-vanilla-red band on the top of the fin. I did it with revell acrylic red, over a white base. Now, the aircraft has its distincitve number. No way back!

47-fin_zpszmu3i41n.jpg

And the decals on top are also applied. A whole lot of them...

48-decals_zpsv5hdqpho.jpg

I still feel that I won't finish it on time, as I'm off to munich over the weekend.

Alex

• Like 1

looking cool - like me you are on on the edge! Just back from Mosul, got a meeting in London today then off to Devon v eaarly Sat AM....so will try maybe to complete one....but which one!!?

• 1 month later...

well, as announced, I didn't finish it on time :(

Next step (hopefully within the next few days), the ordnance will get the final semi-gloss cote, and then the final assembly can start. Just a few hours and decals left, then I will post it in the ordinary RFI!

49-fastfertig_zps0ic63c2j.jpg

Alex

• Like 2

• 10 months later...