Revell London Bus 1/24 Scale

Hi,

I have been a bit quite on this forum for a while, have been modelling and moving houses etc, so have not had time to post.

So I thought it being a new year I would post a work in progress.

revellbus-e1483989353924.jpg

I have always wanted to build this kit, but the price has put me off, so when I saw the kit for £15 at Telford last year I could not resist any longer.

I have already started, could not wait, so will post images of the work done so far later.

The scenario is a derelict bus being taken apart, so I have had to build a new front end, thankfully there are photos online for reference.

Cheers

Richard

• Like 1

Hi,

The web has a vast selection of images of derelict bus, which makes it so much easier to come up with a reasonable little diorama.

Here are a few images, I will use different parts of each to make up the completed diorama:

bus-scrapped.jpg bus9.jpg

bus1.jpg

And, here are some images of the progress made so far:

lbus1-e1483990228171.jpg\

lbus2-e1483990250144.jpg

lbus6-e1483990337970.jpg

Lots to do. Will start on some chipping and weathering on the cab, a touch of rusting as well for good measure.

I wont have any seats inside so I have removed the seating attachments and filled in the holes:

lbus7-e1483990796781.jpg

Going for something like this for the interior...

interior01.jpg

More WiP pics coming soon.

Cheers

Richard

• Like 2

Hi,

Got a lot done since the last post.

I should say that this is one of the best kits I have made, the fit has been excellent through out, in some case they snap together, not need for glue.

Lower and upper deck assemblies finished, weathering next plus adding rubbish..

Body primed, rust added and sealed ready for the chipping solution and coat of London bus red to go on top, once dried I can start the rusting process.

I have made a started on the base..

base11.jpg

Here is the bus mocked up so I can get the dimensions for the base, did not want the base to over power the bus, so have left a small amount of space in front for the scrap yard furniture. Might have a wall or chain linked fence running from the rear of the bus, round behind the bus as if it is in a corner of a yard.

Going to use the seat frames stacked up, some will be left inside as well..

base41.jpg

Going to have a work area at the front of the bus, tools, gas bottles (cutting gear) see additional images below from Kit Form Services.

Not sure about the other engine from the kit, might use that in another diorama..

base21.jpg

recovery-set1.jpg

Also have the above selection of items from Kit Form Services, will use a few items to enhance the diorama, going to order the items below next..

benchtools1.jpg

Plenty of weathering to do on the engine and engine bay..

base31.jpg

Thats it for now, more to come this weekend.

Thanks for stopping by and having a look.

Have a good week.

Cheers

Richard

• Like 2

Don't get too carried away with the rust, as the Routemaster had aluminium bodywork (I think some of the double curvature panels may have been glassfibre).

The really manky ones in your photos above are RTs which are the preceding design from just before WW2 though most were built post war, they still ran into the 70s.  The tall thin radiator is the obvious giveaway, also the more sloping front and number box on the top of the "dome".

Looks like your model will be an interesting project, even if there's no rust on the coachwork there was plenty of other steel bits for the galloping tin worm to get hold of.  Also the roofs of busses always seemed to be well weathered even in service.

Cheers

Will

Malpaso,

Thanks for that, will bare that in mind when I start the weathering.

Do have a few images of a bus that had been set on fire, scorch marks on the outside, so will look at that for the exterior.

Regards

OK, so what have I done since the last post?

A lot really, here are some pics.

bbus1.jpg

Started on weathering the engine, added a tarp to cover up the incomplete wheel assembly, but it does add some character to the diorama.

bbus2.jpg

bbus3.jpg

Interior of the lower section of the bus complete.

Got the top deck to do.

Some pics of the front and rear of the bus with some of the scrap yard furniture.

bbus5.jpg

bbus6.jpg

And here is a pic of the diorama as it is so far....

bbus4.jpg

Start on the weathering of the bus next, got this pic for reference...

weather-ref.jpg

Plenty more to do, pics to follow next weekend.

Thanks for stopping by.

Cheers

Richard

• Like 3

Thanks guys for your comments, glad you like it.

I have started the weathering, slow process but worth it...

wb03.jpg

Started on the scorch marks..

wb01.jpg

Closer look..

wb02.jpg

More to follow tomorrow night.

Cheers

Richard

• Like 3

Hi,

Did some more weathering tonight..

burn1.jpg

.. burning and added some smashed windows.

A few close up pics of the burning.

burn2.jpg

burn3.jpg

Pretty pleased with the effect, my first attempt at burning.

That's all I had time for tonight, might get some more done this week.

Need to sort out the roof as it doesn't fit to well, bit of a gap, think it might be due to the amount of deconstruction I did on the front end.

Once I have weathered and added rubbish to the top deck I will fix the roof and fill the gap.

That's All Folks.

Cheers

Richard

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, shood23 said:

Richard those last few pictures with the burns on the side look bloody amazing, I really like how you made the paint curl up.

Shaun

Hi,

Thanks.

I was looking for a way of getting that effect, when I remembered dropping some Plastic Weld onto a painted kit part sometime ago and the mess it caused.

So I painted the area with Plastic Weld, then scrapped back the paint (it works like paint stripper) to the plastic, then using LifeColour Burn paint set, set about the burn effect.

I'm sure there are other ways of doing it, but this method works for me.

Cheers

Richard

• Like 2

Hi,

Destruction of bus coming along well.

Here are some images, which show the work done so far.

Rear of the bus.. (that faces away from the public when on display)

busb9.jpg

Top View...

busb6.jpg

Rear...

busb7.jpg 

busb4.jpg

Front...

busb2.jpg

(Not sure about the figures)

busb3.jpg

The full monty...

busb1.jpg

Added graffiti, more stains, moss extra and finished the smoke damage to the roof.

Just got the base to do, oil stains and a few more bits, tools etc.

Thanks for stopping by.

Richard

• Like 5

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, Avereda said:

Did I see this at the Salisbury show today? If so it's even more impressive in the flesh.

Hi Avereda,

Yes it was.

Many thanks for the kind words, glad you liked it.

Cheers

Richard

Yup I saw this at the show today as well and having built a "heavily weathered" Routemaster a few years ago I was mightily impressed with this one! The look of the internals was spectacular, very well done!

This was mine...