F-16A KLu 313 squadron Tigermeet 1991, Hasegawa 1/48

Hi guys,

My first ever WIP on Britmodeller! I was in the building process of a F-16 when I discovered there was F-16 groupbuild in progress. Although I was quite a bit underway Rich decided I still could participate! So here it goes:

The chosen F-16 is one of my home country's airforce, the Koninklijke Luchtmacht. In 1991 the Tigermeet was held at Fairford and "we" had 2 similar F-16 with the special tiger tail, J-004 and J-012. Both block 15 OCU's

I was 9 at the time but they made quite a impression on me when I saw one of them thunder the runway at Twenthe AFB. Unfortunately J-012 crashed some 2 years later in to the North Sea after engine failure..

The chosen kit is the well known Hasegawa 1/48 F-16. This one is V103, which comes with the Tigermeet decals:

163733-12192-pristine.jpg

4a379ec4e5581a8ba5b8125f298cb5d8.jpg

I made my fist Hasegawa F-16 last year, a block 40 big mouth of the Bahraini airforce:

0c97274e99821d31939b280ba9b48797.jpg

831d7af00b6c9420641ab9019b0618f6.jpg

For my Dutch F-16 I will use some aftermarket stuff such a P&W nozzle and Aces II seat from Aires, wheel doors from Quickboost, AOA probes, pitot tube and static dischargers from Master, a small cockpit and engine cover PE set and early wheels from Eduard.

The progress so far:

6b25d496d868b45a6ddc068444017454.jpg

Not really a big fan of PE but it looks quite nice, one day I want to try a full resin cockpit...

40c2a6d2459de5dc214ed40c593e7763.jpg

Normally a hell of job to get the inlet seamless but I will use FOD cover, just as it had on Fairford as can be seen on the box cover.

0a37ce1f5ac7fb30a69758b61890d9d4.jpg

A small but important detail which is often forgotten, the hole where a fabric FOD cover is attached to.

917d8a7a183797f74f6c4c15722cf196.jpg

Hasegawa want you to use the left panel but for a block 15 F-16 this is not correct, unfortunately they only supply one type in this box so I had to remove one from a F-16C box in the stash.

8b338b792445ee58f26d91ddbd0e121a.jpg

Same goes for the ECS exhaust, all F-16's build from the factory as block 15 received the newer type exhaust. Hasegawa want you to use the early type, can not understand this because when looking at the box cover photo the later type is clearly visible.

7403112b3f9feb7a1c9fa7622d839e40.jpg

Lowered the flaperons a bit as it gives a nice touch. Also this has the old style launchers, which is correct for 1991 I think.

So there it is, my first WIP on Britmodeller! :D

Erik

• Like 7

You looked to be at pretty much the same satge as me with my BAF F-16A build and lucky for us Rich was kind enough to let us join in. Really excellent work and a nice scheme too. You and Pappy are both doing some great stuff with this base kit and I’m feeling both inspired and in awe. Really wish I’d tried dropping the flaps as it really does make a difference to the model. Was it difficult and I guess you did it before you glued the wings together?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Filler said:

Really wish I’d tried dropping the flaps as it really does make a difference to the model. Was it difficult and I guess you did it before you glued the wings together?

Well, it was not difficult and I did it when the wings were glued together... I used a thin saw to cut it in from the rear of the wing and scribed the flaps on top and bottom of the wings with a Tamiya scriber... Just enough so I was able to "bend" the flap down.. And used a bit of putty to fill up the gap. Hopefully my explanation is clear enough, was my best English.. ;)

Thanks for your reactions Filler and Craig!

Erik

• Like 2

Awesome work so far! I love early F-16s and this one looks like it will be excellent, great attention to the little details for this variant too! How is the overall fit of this kit? Going by your photos it looks better than the Tamiya kit. 

:popcorn:

David..

edit, also your Blk 40 jet looks fantastic!

Edited by mirageiv
  • Like 1

Thanks guys,

@David, I don't know if its better than the Tamiya kit.. Never made a Tamiya Viper but I assume the Tamiya one is of better quality. I however have a soft spot for Hasegawa's F-16 :)

Erik

• Like 1

really lovely work Erik, I do like the cockpit detail a lot!

Plus with all the extra detailing work you're doing I think it was a very fair call on the 25% rule, you look as though you still have lots to do.

definitely getting  :popcorn:  out for this build...plus a nice comfy chair! 

• Like 1

Hi guys,

Some progress from yesterday evening;

Since the kit wheels are not correct for this F-16A I will use Eduard F-16A early wheels, they look very nice too. They are designed for the Kinetic F-16 but with a bit of adjusting of the legs they will fit good enough:

746698a8c74dd53b6177b3685c3341cf.jpg

6a86b361a9136f8e33ee0b66c8346b29.jpg

f63647096a0c65782732d3399f3e6321.jpg

Almost ready to give it the parts a base coat:

76d83c671b38f7be7f1490737f3c8e2f.jpg

While I'm waiting for the masks for the canopy I will try to remove the seam on the canopy, always quite a demanding job but with nice results. I also ordered a Aces II seat from Quickboost since my seat I was planning to use is a late version and not appropriate for this F-16.

Erik

• Like 8

Great job, was that just polishing or did you dip it in clear afterwards? I've got two to do, have been practicing on one of the clear spares. Not an easy job to get right, you looks to have this one sorted. Can I send you mine?? :D

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, Lex77 said:

Nice subject choice!

It's looking very good Erik. Nice work on the canopy seam.

Thinking about ordering the Alclad primer aswell. Easy to use?

Thanks Lex!

Alclad primer is easy to use as it does not need to be thinned for spraying but you need to clean your airbrush with  Cellulose Thinner, so it's a quite toxic stuff. When my bottle is empty I won't buy another but look for something else.

Edited by Knetterik
  • Like 1

Thanks Rich! But another story goes for the bottom.. it seems that the Tamiya masking tape affected the paint.. aargh never had that before! Maybe a new thin coat of paint will take care of it..

1k0.jpg

Erik

Edited by Knetterik
  • Like 1

nice paint work!

sorry about the tape residues!

do you thing the paint was affected, or that tape glues sticks to it?

you could try to carefully remove the latter. 

I had the same problem recently with future coated canopies.. maybe I did not let them dry long enough, whatever that is ;)

• Like 1

that's no good! what was the paint you were using? That Tamiya tape is usually fool proof, maybe the paint hadn't quite cured yet. Best bet now is to let her cure overnight (if you can wait) before attempting any repairs to it, give everything plenty of time to cure and settle down. Then a very lite going over with micro mesh and another thin coat.

Since I have started using the leveling/thinning solution I now really need to give the paint plenty of time to cure before attempting to mask!

• Like 1

Gunze aqueous Rich, like I always use. Never before had problems with Tamiya tape on Gunze or other paints i'm using.. Sprayed the underside 3 ago so i assume the paint had cured enough, normally I'm masking the day after..

Well, if I have some modelling time today I'll try to fix it.

Erik  

• Like 1