Airfix 1/72 Lancaster II LL716 A2-G, 514 Sqn

Simon

Well, my £18 kit from Evilbay arrived today, hopefully it will be better moulded and fit better than yours. Glad you opened the rear door fter all the detail work you put into the front end of the fuselage.

Martian

Hello again everyone. Another quick update for today...

Now that the rear door is open, there's quite a lot of stuff that needs to go inside the rear fuselage to make it look 'busy'.

Firstly I added some pipework to the port side, as well as the rear bulkhead over the tailplane spars:

Lancaster-II-105

and then the flare chute, Elsan, and ammunition track, with its motor:

Lancaster-II-101

I also thought I'd have a go at making some photoflash flares:

Lancaster-II-100

These have been added, along with a parachute, light, oil tanks for the upper turret and couple more odds and ends:

Lancaster-II-103

Lancaster-II-104

Meanwhile, on the starboard side...

On 13/01/2017 at 0:26 AM, CedB said:

More great work on the internals Simon, impressive. Now we're all wondering if you'll resist the temptation to include the pigeon cages :wicked: 

I've also added a few bits so far for the starboard side - so yes, a carrier pigeon cage, plus first aid box and a step:

Lancaster-II-99

More again soon...

Simon

Edited by Simon
  • Like 16

Thank you for all the kind words, they're much appreciated everyone. :blush:

A little more progress to report today. I've been busy 'busying up' the rear fuselage a bit more. Here's the port side, with the .50 cal temporarily fitted, and then the ammo box for that added. The ammo box seems to be fitted to a frame, perhaps so that it could be swung out of the way when not in use:

Lancaster-II-106

Lancaster-II-108

That side's pretty much done. I've also been adding stuff to the starboard side. Here are the starboard ammunition rail, master compass hanging from the roof, the opened door, and a few other bits and pieces:

Lancaster-II-110

I think that's perhaps enough for the rear fuselage, so maybe it's time to get the fuselage buttoned up.

More soon

Simon

Edited by Simon
  • Like 14

14 hours ago, phildagreek said:

Fantastic work! I didn't know the Lancaster had a downward firing gun, I always understood that to be the weak spot, was that gun particular to this mark of aircraft?

514 Squadron had the ventral .50 cal. fitted as an ad hoc field modification (as opposed to the 'proper' FN64 ventral turret) to some of their Lancaster Mk.IIs, but apparently the C/O wasn't keen on the installation due to the added weight and the view that it was deemed to be pretty ineffective...

Thanks once again for everyone's kind words.

Simon

• Like 1

A quick update for today.

One last job before the fuselage gets joined up was to add the mounting for the bomb sight:

Lancaster-II-113

Lancaster-II-112

The sight itself can be added later, to avoid it being knocked off while the fuselage gets painted.

I've also made a start on some details for the bomb bay. The kit's bomb bay detail is really nice, but I thought I'd add some pipework for the side walls. Here are the port and starboard sides, ready to pop into place:

Lancaster-II-114

and test fitted:

Lancaster-II-115

Lancaster-II-116

I've aslo taken the opportunity before the fuselage halves are joined to make a start on my other Airfix Lancaster, which will be B. Mk. III EE136 WS-R 'Spirit of Russia' of 9 Squadron:

Lancaster-II-117

EE136 was one of the 'ton up' Lancasters, completing 109 Ops. On September 5th 1943 it survived a severe attack from an FW-190 on a mission to Mannheim, the fighter being shot down by the combined efforts of the mid-upper gunner, and the tail gunner, F/Sgt James Lindsay Elliott, of Throckley, near Newcastle-upon-Tyne. He was awarded the D.F.M.

More soon...

Simon

Edited by Simon
  • Like 13

I have always liked the artwork on the nose of EE136 and its a great idea to build two aircraft along side each other.

As much as I am enjoying the detail you are putting into LL716, I am looking forward to seeing EE136 as she was stationed not to far from me at Barney.

Great work all round.

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies for the lack of updates for a while, but things have rather got in the way a bit.

Anyway, the fuselage is now all closed up. Quite a lot of filling and sanding needed, surprisingly, but at least I can get on with some painting. First of all, I needed to address the issue of the upper escape hatches, which Airfix had moulded with any glazing. My idea was to sand off the raised hatches, drill out the windows, and then use some clear plastic card. I found some old Eduard masks for the round glazed sections:

Lancaster-II-121

I glued them in place with Formula 560 canopy glue, and taped them down until the glue had set:

Lancaster-II-122

Some pre-shading, and a few thinned coats of Xtracrylix RAF Dark Earth, and they look okay:

Lancaster-II-123

I've pre-shaded all the major components - wings, fins and rudder, horizontal tails and engines - and applied the upper camo Dark Earth. Here are the wings, ready for the Dark Green to be applied:

Lancaster-II-124

It's been good to get some colour on - a sign of progress after fiddling around with the fuselage interior for so long.

Meanwhile, the Airfix Quality Control Gremlin has struck once more. Here are the props:

Lancaster-II-120

Lancaster-II-119

There seems to be some slight mould mis-matching going on. Easily fixed, but once more something I wasn't expecting...

More soon

Simon

Edited by Simon
  • Like 3