Delage 15-S-8 Grand Prix (1/8)

Thank you guys for your heartwarming wishes! 

@Manu, welcome to the topic, I'm quite sure I will learn a lot in your Fiat 806 topic as well. Your figurine / driver sculpting and painting alone should be worth a study. 

451. It's been 8 months since the previous large update, time for another one. 

Meanwhile I've drawn: 

- Resized / redesigned wheels, spokes and tyres.

- Brake drum. 

- Front axle.

- Brake connector left front plus chain. 

- Front wheels connecting / stabilisation rod. 

- Steering box. 

- Steering wheel.

- Connection between steering box crank and wheel base.  

In the next video (2 minute 57 seconds) the progress can be seen: 

Building time: 47 hours. Measurement studies and sorting: 216 hours. Drawing time: 148 hours.

• Like 6

I'm sorry Roy, but I don't understand your approach. We are here poor mortals

with some pieces of plastic, brass or coper, and we spend hours with glue, files, drills and so one....
You are not in our world!
Don't worry, it's a pleasure to see this car coming...

Dan.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/21/2020 at 11:51 AM, PROPELLER said:

I'm sorry Roy, but I don't understand your approach. We are here poor mortals

You do realise that along with Gerald Wingrove's books, Roger Zimmerman and other scratch building masters' topics, your builds topics are my primary source of inspiration for the future scratchbuilding sessions? :) 

I've never been a modest person but the mortal around here would be me! The 3D drawing is not as difficult as it looks and I need it because there are no blueprints... thanks for the compliment though! 

On 12/21/2020 at 11:51 AM, PROPELLER said:

with some pieces of plastic, brass or coper, and we spend hours with glue, files, drills and so one....
You are not in our world!
Don't worry, it's a pleasure to see this car coming...

Dan.

As drawing work has progressed more than I had imagined, scratchbuilding work comes closer too. But still, a lot to do. I think I'm 25% done drawing-wise. 

3 hours ago, Noel Smith said:

Lovely piece of model engineering coming together on this Delage.

Incidentally, there is a kit available in 1/24th scale of a Delage Racer of that era. It is a white metal kit in the Auto Kits range from South Eastern Finecast.

Thanks Noel! I like the way it looks too, as I wrote above it looks more complex than it actually is. 

Yes unfortunately the 1/24 model of the Delage 15-S-8 is one of the extremely few medium scale models in that scale ever issued regarding ANY Delage car. To think that back in the day Delage was the major competitor to Bugatti.... World Champion... one of the most luxurious car brands in France if not the world. Now it's all but forgotten, sadly. 

Scalemates knows of only three Delage kits in 1/24: 

983874-41450-84-pristine.jpg

997750-20545-87-pristine.jpg

187158-25338-89-1440.jpg

More to be found in 1/43 though. 

• Like 2

I had one of the Heller kits some time ago and sold it on.

It was a bit weird in that there was a join line right across the top of the two rear wings! Not insurmountable but why make it like that in the first place?

I will have to look on Scalemates site to see the third kit that I would suspect may be a resin model kit.

• Like 1

On 12/22/2020 at 4:03 PM, Roy vd M. said:

187158-25338-89-1440.jpg

My word  - That looks amazingly like my Sedanca Rolls in many aspects !:frantic: Part Rolls, part Bugatti, distinctly Delage and all class and elegance. And I never knew of this car or model kit. !! I'd kill to have it in 1/8 scale and put aside all my ailments to achieve it. :wall:

• Like 2

On 12/27/2020 at 10:26 PM, Pouln said:

Nice vid, Roy. Nice to se how things shape up (on the drawing board, that is).

Yes progress has been rather wild, if compared to the past two years. And it's really fun too. 

On 12/29/2020 at 5:26 PM, Noel Smith said:

I had one of the Heller kits some time ago and sold it on.

It was a bit weird in that there was a join line right across the top of the two rear wings! Not insurmountable but why make it like that in the first place?

I will have to look on Scalemates site to see the third kit that I would suspect may be a resin model kit.

I think the Heller kit (of the D8) is still being produced. Heller kits are certainly not among the most accurate, usually (with some pleasant exceptions, such as the 1/8 Citroen Traction Avant). 

On 12/29/2020 at 6:13 PM, Codger said:

My word  - That looks amazingly like my Sedanca Rolls in many aspects !:frantic: Part Rolls, part Bugatti, distinctly Delage and all class and elegance. And I never knew of this car or model kit. !! I'd kill to have it in 1/8 scale and put aside all my ailments to achieve it. :wall:

The D8 is a beautiful car, one of Delage's crown jewels. Although Delage cars are currently quite affordable, the D8 is one exceptions to that general rule. 

457. On the last day of the year I'd like to present an interim view (in between two videos). An important point has been reached: for the first time since drawing the wheels every component is (approximately) joined. Progress: rear brake drums, grille, crank, rear axle, rear leaf suspension and connectors between axle and leaf springs. 

50781018933_dcfff8217b_h.jpg 

50781018988_126ce4d5e3_h.jpg 

Building time: 47h, dimensions study and sorting: 216h, drawing time: 174h. 

• Like 6

Sabrejet and Nick, thank you for your comments! I much appreciate them. 

On 1/1/2021 at 12:31 AM, Codger said:

A staggering time investment resulting in a brilliant rendition. That is a genuine rolling chassis sitting out on the tarmac. I can't wait for the engine Roy.:frantic:

I look forward to 'manufacturing' the engine most of all, too. Hopefully it will prove to be a logical starting point, although Gerald Wingrove always started his builds at the wheels and most other builders start with the frame. Not sure yet, but hopefully it will be the engine. I'll let logic make that decision rather than passion :D 

10 minutes ago, silver911 said:

Roy...if I may ask...I get that these are renditions...so...when do we get to see the fabricated results of all this CAD work?...or is this to be an entirely rendered build...intrigued !

Ron

There will be no 3D-printing in this build (or so I still say..); as I see it now, the car will be 90% drawn before I will start scratchbuilding it from brass and aluminium. The full car will be scratchbuilt, so the parts I won't have sketched will be built as well (that's mainly the body shell). 

I require this drawing to be made because no blueprints are available. Some do exist (engine / transmission) but are unfortunately privately held.  The full-car drawings that were made before by Cresswell and others differ from one another in many aspects so I needed to know the real dimensions. That's why I headed over to Florida to take dimensions and make endless photos, proving invaluable source for the drawing that's now being developed. 

• Like 4

Hi Mark, 

Unfortunately I must disappoint you as I have never undertaken any project comparable to this in scale and extent. Several scratchbuilding exercises have been done, but most of this is new to me. That's also why (in the first vlog I mentioned this) this will probably be an entertaining journey for the followers of this topic: I'll make plenty of mistakes, many of which I'll show. The reason: I think these are more fun to watch than the always 'perfect' work of master modellers; and it's an easier way of learning from mistakes than from perfectness. 

I'll show you some photos of a few builds that all had something unusual. 

First, a BMW 507. The challenge was: strictly out of box!! Only paint, glue and weathering stuff could be used. For example, the headlight bulbs were made out of drops of CA. I spent ages sanding everything to scale (for example the chrome T-piece on the bonnet). I used weathering to try reach a realistic result. For an out of box-build, the amount of spent time is ridiculous: 164 hours. 

29264635971_9b5523bbb1_b.jpg 

29341944435_e13e5ed711_b.jpg

Sometimes not that much time is needed. For a group build idea, I built this halftrack. The idea was: start now, finalize the model 50 hours later. Sleeping time was included into those 50 hours. I read in my notes that I slept a total of 4 hours and spent 46 hours building. In all, this was a very stressful, somewhat fun build but afterwards I was ill for two or three days and I'm very sure it was because of the stress. Interior and engine bay was painted and weathered. The bonnets and rear door were hinged (scratchbuilt) and made to open.

16359502658_1e470b39bd_b.jpg

16545500981_a6692c6802_b.jpg 

16361285787_8164df04f4_b.jpg

Part milling/lathe exercise, part detail-up for my Volkswagen Beetle (Revell) I set myself the challenge to build as accurate and detailed a carburettor 1/24 scale as I reasonably could. Not entirely finalized (Fiat 806 became a passion and I was ever so slightly distracted haha) but probably 80% done. As it is now, it consists of 64 parts of metal and paper. 

49002832141_0cf58da1d9_b.jpg

35248968040_b41a166bcc_k.jpg 

35648271465_4a1b1c08a7_h.jpg

A little over a year ago my daughter and I finished the Tamiya 1/12 Honda RA273. We video logged all of the build progress. You can see it here. It was a fun (not always but often) father-daughter project. She (7 years old) did approximately half of the airbrushing, sanding et cetera. 

Screenshot 2021-01-05 at 14.53.43

IMG_9014

Five years ago I built this engine of the Krupp Titan (Revell kit). I had wild plans for an alternative lighting-technique but unfortunately I never got to it. Not wanting to mess up all the detailing on the engine (=the photos show everything dryfitted, you'll not that everything is not aligned) I started another project to test that lighting-technique on but that new project was soon interrupted. Might be resumed one day because I still think it's very interesting to try to get a better lighting effect on scale models. 

17033794792_67c12fd9fd_b.jpg

16849017439_5d271be6a6_b.jpg

15968341451_c66ba39479_c.jpg

I not only like building cars. For a group build I gave the 1/72 Hasegawa Yokosuka Ginga a try. With this build I used a technique 'borrowed' from a ship modeller, to simulate the panel and frame lines of the real plane, a detail that's usually left out (which makes many planes look 'flat-skinned'. The effect took many many hours to implement and, as I like to always use subtle weathering, can only be noticed if you're close to the model. 

49674363327_fd3d7e724d_b.jpg

49673543008_0109178b06_b.jpg

Here you can see the panel line-effect: right part of the wing wasn't done yet. 

49662215701_4146b8f7af_b.jpg 

Last build I started (beside the Delage) was Miniart's kit of the LGOC London bus. I changed the rocker / valve / spring assembly of the engine as the kit didn't depict this correctly. This was the way it looked before our house caught fire. There is only smoke / smell damage so I'm not sure if I'll be able to reprise the build. Perhaps some a coat of varnish will suffice. 

49989543673_8d3d239d5b_b.jpg

I hope this is what you had in mind of me showing you. Alas, no projects similar to the Delage. 

• Like 5