Delage 15-S-8 Grand Prix (1/8)

• 10 months later...

Thanks Harvey, Nick and Thierry!

334. After a great amount of sorting has been done, finally I can continue drawing. For starters, a not too easy part... the shell of the brake support. 

49789853276_548203ec3e_b.jpg 

336. And then yet a bit more of sorting... all overview drawings hastily drawn up and filled out in Florida (and corrected in the Netherlands) have been set up anew. Fortunately almost everything makes sense, 2 years after. In a Word file I described each point, so that I'll know what I intended to depict / measure later on. Each of the coordinate inputs I did in Fusion 360 was checked. All corrections I did later, were checked and updated as well. Instead of a sheet of paper filled with drawings and measurements, I now have the Word file. Looks much better and less hectic now. Each number stands for four or five dimensions / measurements (side view). Top view-numbers stand for one measurement / dimension each. 

49789978896_cedbb3474f_b.jpg

337. Height of the body, mostly:  

49789943916_d4465b0360_b.jpg 

338. Also I sorted all detail drawings I did in Paris as well as in Florida, in the order 'front -> aft'; and I numbered them too. This makes for a much better overview. For me this will lower the threshold to continue working on the drawing. Chaos has been replaced by order. 

49789420523_57e5153154_b.jpg 

Engine drawings remain to be 'translated'. Once it will be relevant I'll do that. 

Next step is, to make a list indicating the order in which to draw the several parts... plus numbers of the measurements (general and detail). After that the drawing work can be reprised without issues. 

Build time: 47H. Dimensions-study and sorting: 135H. Drawing time: 64,5H.

• Like 4

@Codger Chas I do agree with your longing for seeing the engine come to life. It's a jewel and I look much forward to it; if building logistics allow me I'll certainly honour your wish and start with the engine; can't tell right now though. Perhaps I'll start, like in 3D drawing, with the frames.

@JeroenS Yes there is a lot of reference stuff (videos then and now / photos then and now / drawings etc.) but at least now I got them sorted :D 

@harveyb258 Indeed it feels good to be back at the sketching table. I'm doing way more than I had planned to do in April (had thought I'd get back to this project around July), so that's positive. 

Here the 8th video log. Takes 1,5 minute to view so feel welcome to! :) 

Building time: 47H. Measurement-studies and sorting: 141H. Drawing time: 84,5H.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

I wish I had your skills for drawing on Fusion, Roy! 

I also saw the work you did with your lathe and milling machine (I missed that), and here too, impressive!

Hope you will soon go back to your bench for new updates for the Delage project.

Cheers, Olivier

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys! 

Meanwhile I've spent approximately 60 hours of research on the tyres and wheels. I'll spare you the details and will get to the conclusions. 

The 1927 wheel had 70 spokes (28+28+14) rather than the current 60 spokes (20+20+20). All 1927 tyres had a fictional diameter of 30 inch. The markings read "30 x 4.75". However, the tyre was moreover marked (in smaller print) " actual size 31.8 dia" so that the real diameter of the tyres were 31,8 inch. This corresponds with extensive photogrammetry I performed on several 1927 photographs. That photogrammetry led to the conclusion that the tyres were approximately 31,6 inch in diameter (=not fully pressurised tyres). 

Furthermore, the wheels were 21 inches rather than 19 inches (=current size). Rim width was 4 inches rather than 4,5 inches. Tyre width was 4,75 inches.

Revs Institute has been informed of these findings. Hopefully they will decide to install 70 spokes 21 inch wheels rather than the current 60 spokes 19 inch wheels; and hopefully 31,8 tyres can be produced. They are not currently produced, as the size has been unknown/forgotten and literature on the Delage only stated the (incorrect) 30 inch size. The difference is substantial (starting with the correct -large- wheels and then switching a few times from small to large): 

So the wheels and tyres will have to be drawn in Fusion 360 once more. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

+1, Roy!

Your will for truth is so strong, impressive !

This will that has been so useful for our Fiat 806 research and build.

I am myself a modeler with a strong will to be faithful, but with you, I found my master...

Olivier

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Thank you gentlemen. Yes I am happy the research has paid off. Took me long enough! :). 

430. The wheel was sketched once more. 

50456030986_cf7cc66ff9_b.jpg 

432. A number of details will have to be added on the 1/8-model:

1) Small reliefs on the tyre wall. 

2) Winding around spoke.

3) Air valve.

4) Text on knock off. 

5) Adjusting nuts.

6) As many texts and symbols as reasonably possible, both sides of the tyres.  

50462691351_55cd943fe2_b.jpg 

433. Due to the different shape of this vintage wheel, the big difference between the official 1927-track width and the track width I measured in Florida, has all but disappeared. The difference of 49mm. has now become only 6mm. 

Here a comparison between both wheels. First modern, then vintage. 

50462761622_9d22486f46_b.jpg

50462761872_217aceeef0_b.jpg

Short video to emphasize the difference; the frame  doesn't change in size. 

Building time: 47h. Dimensions study and sorting: 214h. Drawing time: 92h. 

• Like 5

• 5 weeks later...

Again I haven't posted in awhile. That doesn't mean there's been no progress. I drew the wheel once more, the difference is really substantial I must say. 

After having drawn the rear wheel I copied it to the front. Then I drew the brake drum and the steering knuckle. 

Unfortunately that was when our house caught fire, as mentioned in my post of just now in Harvey's topic:

Very brief: nobody was hurt, as nobody was home. Laundry dryer caught flame even though it had stopped its program (it was on 'standby' after having finished). Lots of smoke damage, mainly; everything will either have to be cleaned or thrown away. House will have to be renovated completely. We'll be out of our house for 6 months, but fortunately a house no more than 10 secondes away (=20 metres walk), purely coincidentally, was just being put to sale when we called and asked if we could rent it. The owner agreed and now we're very close to our own house where our little girl can play with her friends, bike to and from school and we can supervise the rebuild. 

Lot of administration going on of course... no time for modelling whatsoever. I'll be back in due time though! 

Impression of the progress made: 

50481350602_3566b04e27_b.jpg 

50493293742_1b9d165cdb_b.jpg 

Drawing has to be slightly amended, but is 98% okay for now.

• Like 5
  • Sad 3

That's tough Roy, luckily nobody was hurt which is most important. I hope the rebuilding goes smoothly and you'll all be able to put this behind you. 

In other news: looks like your excellent research is paying off. 

• Thanks 1

Bad news, Roy. Luckily nobody got hurt. My neighbors had the same happen to them last year, when the dishwasher caught fire. Soot everywhere throughout the house.

I hope things will get sorted without too many issues.

• Thanks 1

Hello Roy

I hope that everything will work out for the best but it must be a real misfortune, I sympathize. 

Being recently on the forum I discover your topic. I just flew over the manufacture of candles...your work is fabulous.
I will read all this carefully, there are so many photos and videos that it is extraordinary. I think I’m gonna learn a lot.
Thanks for sharing, that’s great.

Manu

• Thanks 1