Summer madness? Valom HP Hampden TB1 - Finished!

SimonL

Thanks Tony! Yes, I am rather pleased with how the display case worked out.

On 13/01/2017 at 6:11 PM, jean said:

Hi Simon,

why were planes ever built with perspex everywhere? What's wrong with fresh air? No transparency, no cry!

I know the stress you are under, and I sympathize.

But you're getting there.

Tell me, all the riveting on the model, is it your doing, or did Valom hire the mad Chinese riveter of old? Whoever did this, it looks subdued and nice!

Great progress.

JR

Thanks JR. the rivets are Valom's doing. They are rather fine and I guess they will mostly disappear under a few coats of paint.

Today it was time to get the filler out.

32179938481_b3ca71c093_b.jpg

Annoyingly the seam opened up underneath, so more cement and clamping needed.

32150025382_813a4007a1_b.jpg

Think I will leave this to set properly before I do anything else.

• Like 4

After a day or so everything seems to have cured now, so after a bit of sanding I pairnted some aluminium along the seam lines to see if any extra work was needed (it was), then on with the paint. First the dark slate grey (Tamiya XF22) was brushed on, followed by the extra dark sea grey (Tamiya XF24). Then I set it aside to start painting the transparencies - lots of fiddly lines and masking needed.

32320753606_4cc27ac42f_b.jpg

31548668723_1fbe075ef4_b.jpg

31533747874_35547ab795_b.jpg

Once the paint had dried I worked on the rear of the bomb bay to account for the torpedo. Here is my effort at dealing with this issue. I first cut back the cupola sides, then rebuilt them but with less height using the curved off cuts and the removed bomb bay doors, and a fair bit of filler. I cut a "V" in the end of the bomb bay, and finally sanded the transparency has far as I could. I drilled and cut out new side windows as well. A test fit with the torpedo seems to indicate that it is going to work, probably no where near accurate but I think it will do. Still needs a bit of refinement and sanding to finish.

32376340305_ec9d22a79b_b.jpg

32256423921_dab8e7cabb_b.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, SimonL said:

After a day or so everything seems to have cured now, so after a bit of sanding I pairnted some aluminium along the seam lines to see if any extra work was needed (it was), then on with the paint. First the dark slate grey (Tamiya XF22) was brushed on, followed by the extra dark sea grey (Tamiya XF24). Then I set it aside to start painting the transparencies - lots of fiddly lines and masking needed.

32320753606_4cc27ac42f_b.jpg

31548668723_1fbe075ef4_b.jpg

31533747874_35547ab795_b.jpg

Once the paint had dried I worked on the rear of the bomb bay to account for the torpedo. Here is my effort at dealing with this issue. I first cut back the cupola sides, then rebuilt them but with less height using the curved off cuts and the removed bomb bay doors, and a fair bit of filler. I cut a "V" in the end of the bomb bay, and finally sanded the transparency has far as I could. I drilled and cut out new side windows as well. A test fit with the torpedo seems to indicate that it is going to work, probably no where near accurate but I think it will do. Still needs a bit of refinement and sanding to finish.

32376340305_ec9d22a79b_b.jpg

32256423921_dab8e7cabb_b.jpg

SimonL,

Did you see this discussion? It might help you with the bomb bay doors and the modifications to the rear of the bay and the observer's station to house the aft end of the torpedo.

Mike

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CedB said:

Nice work Simon - I like the variation on the paint finish and the work on the seams certainly paid off. Good stuff :) 

Thanks Ced. The variation you see in the paint is actually a trick of the light 😁

I've been making slow progress with this, mostly focussing on getting the canopies masked and painted. Very tedious. Anyway, I completed painting the main airframe using Tamiya XF1 black for the undersides and Tamiya XF 84 Dark iron for the collector rings at the front of the engines. Once any touching up was completed I applied a couple of thin coats of floor polish as a gloss coat and commenced decaling. There aren't very many, and the main decals went on just fine. They are very thin and just melted into the surface detail. The only problem I had was that the serials just disintegrated, so my aircraft will just have to go without them. I also did not apply the roundals to the underside of the wings as indicated in the instructions. They doesn't seem right to me for an aircraft of this time period - does anybody have any idea as to whether I should apply them?

32283634942_2c13c42410_b.jpg

32394922136_9282eff13c_b.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 years later...

Casting around for something to do I found this on the shelf of doom. Over two years since the tediousness of painting the canopies put me off. Let’s see if I can resurrect the beastie and get it finished. Here’s where I am at so far.

47261818991_a63e7805c5_b.jpg

• Like 5

On 1/13/2017 at 10:02 PM, SimonL said:

I think my recently completed Dakota looks particularly good in the case

Could you share a few shots of the Dak? Looks great on display. 

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
On 5/6/2019 at 1:34 AM, JPBrito said:

Hello Simon!

Two months later, how is this nice WIP?

Cheers, JPB

Er, stalled 😞 May try and have a go later in the month, but I have kind of lost interest.

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got back to this shelf sitter - and almost regretted it. 

First, the main undercarriage was hard to make sense of, but I think I got it sorted. It’s now looking very much better being all up on its wheels.

I managed to crack the canopy for the rear upper gun station while trying to make slots in the very thick plastic. So, with a bit of surgery this Hampden will have its rear gunner station open.

I gave up on masking the canopies and am now painting them freehand, which is much quicker. The frames are obvious enough to allow the use of a sharpened cocktail stick to clean up any excess.

The hedgehog exhausts were a bit difficult to attach to the front part of the exhaust, but plenty of filler seems to have dealt with that. They just need a bit of sanding to tidy up.

I painted up the Airfix beaufighter torpedo, but instead of the rather cumbersome looking MAT provided by Airfix I used the photoetch from the Valom kit.

on the subject of photoetch, I have managed to lose one of the sheets that came with the kit, so I will need to fake up some aerials.

Finally, not being happy with the appearance of the finish on the airframe, I painted on a thin coat of floor polish. I plan to spray on a coat of Tamiya Flat Clear instead. 

So here is where I am at - the end is in sight!

49320277053_c1539381f9_b.jpg

• Like 4

Thanks 🙂 

And I am calling this one finished. As expected the canopies were aweful, needed lots of PVA to cover the worst of the gaps. Canopy painting isn’t my best either. Last curve ball - the wing top lights didn’t fit and needed fettling (which wasn’t much fun). As I had lost one sheet of etch I needed to scratch build the “towel rail” aerial at the back of the fuselage, and also needed to find a spare aerial for the nose (from an never finished Italeri Spitfire as it happens). Almost 2 years from starting. Not sure I would do it again! Thanks for following.

49326819577_330b474289_b.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1