Pocher Ducati

Won’t bore you with all the pics of box and parts etc., as all been done before.

So will start with my personal first impression. To me, this is what the Aventador should have been.

Better detail on the castings and, overall, more attention to detail.

That said, there is still a lot missing in terms of detail, and that centres on the wiring loom, most of which is quite easy to replicate.

There are some ‘moulded’ hoses which I will replace with relevant materials and, will also add the clips/clamps as needed.

What I would encourage builders to do is, purchase the Paul Koo DVD/Decals and Scale Hardware replacement fittings, the fittings are a direct replacement for the awful kit screws!

In conjunction with the kit instructions, I constantly refer to Pauls DVD, and begin with the vertical and horizontal cylinder heads. With or without the DVD, you will encounter the first problems, that of the fit of the diecast parts. Be prepared to spend a lot of time removing the high spots and excess paint from the mating edges! I used a ‘palm’ sander with 240 grit paper.

Obviously, what you are looking to achieve, is a clean level mating face on each part, as per the pics.

A word of caution! Paul advises you file off the paint off the top of the screw posts, just don’t over do it as it alters the position of the parts, and you will have to shim them to return them to the correct place.

s345.photobucket.com/user/razor29/media/IMG_1455_zpssy9kms1z.jpg.html]IMG_1455_zpssy9kms1z.jpg[/URL]

s345.photobucket.com/user/razor29/media/IMG_1454_zps0ycirwqy.jpg.html]IMG_1454_zps0ycirwqy.jpg[/URL]

s345.photobucket.com/user/razor29/media/IMG_1456_zpscux6htj2.jpg.html]IMG_1456_zpscux6htj2.jpg[/URL]

s345.photobucket.com/user/razor29/media/IMG_1459_zpso1ekt3kx.jpg.html]IMG_1459_zpso1ekt3kx.jpg[/URL]

As per Paul's advice, a lot of the holes have been 'tapped', which really does make life easier when screwing parts together.

There are a few areas of the main block to be painted in different shades, and I also want to add the gaskets to the heads, simply because it will lend a small touch of extra detail/realism IMHO

Instead of tapped holes you can also add just a tiny bit of oil to the screws before you put them in, works perfectly fine.

Interesting to see that you have to sand so much to get the flat surface on the engine base, I only had to sand the front cylinder.

Goodluck with this cool kit ;)

There are a lot of reports that the fit of parts varies enormously where the diecast parts are concerned!

Also, the removal of paint and flash from mating surfaces, ensures a nice tight fit with almost no gaps.

Tapping the holes is necessary because I am using the 'Scale Hardware' replacement bolts etc., which need to be tightened in with a  nut spinner, as opposed to the screw driver used on the kit screws,  and also allows for removal and refitting without losing grip.

Ron

A new fighter grappling with the Pocher gods - wonderful!

This may be the definitive big Ducatti build yet seen. Ron brings excellent technical basics to construction and will surely put on a display of spectacular, realistic and natural finishes on all the sweaty parts.

What a combination - an artists eye and hand and an on-track, experienced Ducatti driver. This will be special with lots to learn for all who view. :Tasty:

• Like 1

Looking forward to this one Ron! It looks like a really cool kit with lots of room for imagination. I am surprised that the die cast parts have that much variability. From your pics I can see you did some serious work to get everything fitting perfectly. the scale hardware will be a beautiful touch too. This is going to be a fun ride!

44 minutes ago, Codger said:

A new fighter grappling with the Pocher gods - wonderful!

This may be the definitive big Ducatti build yet seen. Ron brings excellent technical basics to construction and will surely put on a display of spectacular, realistic and natural finishes on all the sweaty parts.

What a combination - an artists eye and hand and an on-track, experienced Ducatti driver. This will be special with lots to learn for all who view. :Tasty:

Thanks Mr C....do I detect a little payback in there somewhere :)

Will give it my best shot....and hope I can raise the bar slightly with the Scale Hardware bits etc.

Ron

17 minutes ago, rjfk2002 said:

Looking forward to this one Ron! It looks like a really cool kit with lots of room for imagination. I am surprised that the die cast parts have that much variability. From your pics I can see you did some serious work to get everything fitting perfectly. the scale hardware will be a beautiful touch too. This is going to be a fun ride!

I was a little surprised myself at how much work was needed to get a good join/fit with the diecast parts!

To be fair though, I enjoyed every minute, and can see this becoming a battle of wits between me and the kit lol

Really glad your up for the ride :)

Ron

Looking forward to your Ducati build Ron. I too am surprised at the amount of material needed to be removed from the cast parts but, I guess I really shouldn't be. It reminds me of all the sanding I had to do on the warped Alfa head. You guys are in for a treat when Ron gets to the painting and effects he can do with oils. Grab the popcorn!

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, larchiefeng said:

Looking forward to your Ducati build Ron. I too am surprised at the amount of material needed to be removed from the cast parts but, I guess I really shouldn't be. It reminds me of all the sanding I had to do on the warped Alfa head. You guys are in for a treat when Ron gets to the painting and effects he can do with oils. Grab the popcorn!

Many thanks for kind words mate :)

Well....I guess I'll have to be on my best game with you three on board!

Bring it on.......

Ron

Small update....

In line with what Wayne said about me using 'oils' (paint)...a short explanation....I spent the last 3+ decades in the 'figure' arena...and used primarily oil paints...so I learned a lot of tricks that can be carried across to other areas/types of models.

Another reason for my using them is....no matter how hard I have tried...I just cannot do 'showroom'....it always comes across as what it is....a model!

Whilst the Pocher factory painted parts are ok for OOB builds...and as a good starting point for the showroom/brand new builds....for me it lacks the depth it needs for realism.

My aim with this build is to portray a well used/loved bike....so to achieve this look...a few different techniques are in order ;)

In the first picture I have applied some 'Old Holland' Neutral Tint oil paint to the right half of the engine...with the left being as per the kit....this is then buffed off the raised areas....leaving a 'shadow' in the depressions.

I hope you can see the subtle difference this makes.

1_zpsfnzasgak.jpg

In the following pics I have gone on to do the whole engine.

5_zpsxrqaipns.jpg

4_zpsy58sbvdx.jpg

7_zpsdw2n6y7b.jpg

You will see that I have also added a couple of suitable bolts to disguise the holes for the kit screws in the cylinder heads.

8_zpsjntdp4yd.jpg

With the basic engine block assembled....I can start to add the extra detailing to the areas noted in Paul's DVD.

Ron

Can you share some details of the oil paint technique Ron? I assume you apply by soft brush and thin it greatly with turpentine. Do you not have to wait a long period before it's completely dry to handle and rub on? Also assume no other finishes can be applied over it when dry.

But I can see it will yield a great variety of colors especially if subtly applied.

1 hour ago, Codger said:

Can you share some details of the oil paint technique Ron? I assume you apply by soft brush and thin it greatly with turpentine. Do you not have to wait a long period before it's completely dry to handle and rub on? Also assume no other finishes can be applied over it when dry.

But I can see it will yield a great variety of colors especially if subtly applied.

I can try Mr C.....the technique is one I developed a long time ago when working on figures.

To keep it as simple as possible....first you apply a layer of oil paint (colour depends on the effect you are trying to replicate) with an old brush....can be round or flat....size depends on the area you are working on.

You apply this layer straight from the tube....no thinners needed or wanted.

After about ten minutes drying....you take a wide soft brush and draw it across the surface....this will remove almost all the paint....but will leave it in the detail areas that the brush doesn't reach.

For the effect you see in the previous pictures....only a thin layer was applied.

If you want an in depth read of the technique....although it is figure based....you can find it here.......just scroll down to 'My way with oils' by Ron Clark.....and download the .pdf

http://dclough.org/hom/?p=640

Hope this helps.....but ask any questions if there is something else you need.

Ron

Edited by silver911
mistake
  • Like 1

Sorry Mr C....forgot to answer your other question...doh!

Darker oil colours dry quite rapidly.....24 - 48 hrs.....once dry you can apply other finishes/effects....although a coat of matt sealer is ideal if you want to use washes that include thinners/spirits.

Ron

I'm really watching this one as I've been offered the kit for half the going rate, which includes postage.

Bikes aren't my thing but the sheer size, and complexity interests me.

I just might take the offer...

Keep it coming. What you are doing is great.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, roymattblack said:

I'm really watching this one as I've been offered the kit for half the going rate, which includes postage.

Bikes aren't my thing but the sheer size, and complexity interests me.

I just might take the offer...

Keep it coming. What you are doing is great.

Hi Roy....that's almost a mirror image of how/why I got mine....too good to miss at a silly price ;)

Good to have you along with us :)

Ron

A small update....got head cover bolts and gaskets done....took off the moulded pins on the spark plug boots and replaced them with metal....removed cast bolts on the oil filter cover and added metal bolts...same with timing sensor....then made the first of the many missing wires/cables...this one is the generator connector.....fitted the generator/side cover after adding the gasket...and replaced the kit 'screws' with Scale Hardware bolts....weathered it all in to blend with rest of engine.

IMG_1481_zpsgdxfgsip.jpg

IMG_1471_zpsl1gam2ni.jpg

IMG_1472_zpsp7b6qzj5.jpg

IMG_1474_zpsq9woqzsj.jpg

IMG_1475_zps5fjzkdkt.jpg

IMG_1480_zpskrgjqtrd.jpg

Although not a huge amount...very time consuming....but worth the effort IMHO.

Ron

• Like 1

No not all the bolts are from Paul....I have a fair selection from previous projects of my own......but he does supply a comprehensive selection in his Scale Hardware set....although mostly larger sizes for the main components/assemblies.

As for the gaskets....I came across this on e-bay.....http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=252706862184#ht_500wt_1180

Although it says 1mm thick....I would judge it to be nearer 0.8mm....which....when tightened down...is pretty much perfectly in scale for the Ducati :)

Glad you like the extra details mate.

Ron

Really nice progress Ron,

I have this kit with the Paul Koo add ons also and will be following your build very closely as I plan to start once my Mercedes is complete (hopefully later this year).

Best Regards

Keith

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Mpfiend said:

Really nice progress Ron,

I have this kit with the Paul Koo add ons also and will be following your build very closely as I plan to start once my Mercedes is complete (hopefully later this year).

Best Regards

Keith

Hi Keith,

glad you are following, and like the progress.

As you also have Paul's add ons, be aware that you will need a couple of other 'Taps', and I have found that where he says to use the 2.3mm, a 2.2mm works better!

Where I have chosen to add gaskets has another bonus, in that it helps with the poor fit of the diecast parts.

Also, the foam I am using has adhesive on both sides, which aids with keeping the parts in place whilst adding the Scale Hardware bolts etc. ;)

Another tip for your build, because you have the extras from Paul, you will need to cross reference each step, between the kit instructions, his 'basic assembly' folder and his 'super detailing' folder.

ATB

Ron

Edited by silver911
missing text
  • Like 1