Cobra Company (Fine details and kits) has closed on December 31st, 2016

Homebee

Cobra Company http://www.cobracompany.com/ has closed.

Cobra Company is reported shutting down due to the owner's, Chris Miller, health issues.

Effective as December 31, 2016

Sources:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/149674/message/1483648886/Cobra+Company+has+closed

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/296797-bad-news-again/

image.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

That is "not great" news.....

There were a number of CC resin sets I would have liked to own, but I guess that won't happen now. I contacted Chris from Cobra Company a few years ago and received a very short reply from him (not rude exactly, but leaving me in no doubt that he didn't want to ship to the UK. Since that time, I've been told he used to post his stuff outside of the US, but you have to do a bit of sweet-talking first). 

I was very lucky to receive help from a member of Britmodeller who lives States-side. He purchased a 1/35th scale MI-24 Hind exterior resin upgrade set on my behalf and posted to my UK address (many thanks, John!) I had been lusting after the Hind set for years, so I'm very grateful to him.  

I wonder what his reasons for shutting his business down were? Too much competition from places like the Czech Republic, maybe?

Cheers.

Chris. 

• Like 1

Luckily I got SH-2 and CH-46 parts with stateside help last year. I never really understood Chris' animosity to selling abroad, especially in this day and the global nature of your hobby. US postage costs are high, but that's the buyer's concern, not his.

I don't think it's a competition thing, the Cobra product range was pretty unique, you can't get the stuff from another company.

I hope nothing really bad has happened...

J

you snooze you lose! l was going to order a bunch of stuff this year as l held off last year for financial reasons but l guess l waited too long! Such is life

21 hours ago, spruecutter96 said:

I wonder what his reasons for shutting his business down were? Too much competition from places like the Czech Republic, maybe?

Cheers.

Chris. 

Health reasons.

17 hours ago, JeffreyK said:

I never really understood Chris' animosity to selling abroad, especially in this day and the global nature of your hobby. US postage costs are high, but that's the buyer's concern, not his.

I

I spoke with Chris about this and postage cost was only a small factor.

He had been burned a few times with international orders by people claiming non delivery then getting their money back from paypal/credit cards etc.  He then decided it was not worth the hassle of shipping internatinally. A lot of people were angry about this and he had some bad correspondance on it, but at the end of the day it was his business and if he decided he did not want to ship internationally it was his choice and people needed to respect that.

I hope his health problems get better and wish him well for the future. Someone might pick up the business if he decides to sell it.

Julien

• 1 month later...
On 7/1/2017 at 11:15 AM, Julien said:

I spoke with Chris about this and postage cost was only a small factor.

He had been burned a few times with international orders by people claiming non delivery then getting their money back from paypal/credit cards etc. 

Mmm, this is strange for me i've actually a record of 99.9% of shipments all over the world, maybe it's just luck, who knows...from a nation that is considered unreliable.

Edited by onosendai
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, onosendai said:

Mmm, this is strange for me i've actually a record of 99.9% of shipments all over the world, maybe it's just luck, who knows...from a nation that is considered unreliable.

i have ordered several times from You and had NO problems whatsoever!! quick delivery !! AND BEAUTIFUL CASTINGS!!

Thank You,

regards

It looks like Lone Star Models has purchased Cobra Company: Link Here

As reported on Hyperscale:

Mike West announces that Lone Star Models has purchased Cobra Company. Mike says: "There are approximately 150 different Cobra Company products and much like those from Lone Star Models there are some that just never sell well. I plan to assess the viability of each and bring the most popular sets back first. From the ongoing discussions and e-mails I have been receiving one of these will definitely be the 1/72 Privateer detail set for the Matchbox/Revell Germany kits. There will be a special page on my website for these sets. The kit numbers from Cobra will remain but now have an LSM prefix. Example LSMCC 48001. It will take me a while to go through each set and get them back into production."

• Like 1