A Quick One or Two for Father Christmas - comparing Bulldogs

No. this is not the title of a previously unknown Christmas album by the Who, but a new venture for me.

I was given a kit for Christmas by my dear wife, and have decided that, since it is a relatively simple build with not that many parts, I should be able to build it fairly fast.  Unlike all my other builds, I do not intend to super-detail anything, or add any after-market parts to it, other than the set of masks I already have, and probably some Airscale instruments to pep up the very visible cockpit.  Oh, and a fair amount nose weight, I should imagine!

So I present to you the statutory sprue shot of the Tarangus 1/48 Scottish Aviation Bulldog T1.  It will be built as XX541/L of RNEFTS, RAF Topcliffe, the aircraft in which I did my first Bullfrog solo on 2 May 1985.

31979055202_63f03e84a1_b.jpg

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 10

If this is the kit Tommo and I saw on the table at our club meeting a few months ago it makes up into a proper little sweetie

That's me over by the bar chatting to that little popsie who might...   :(

Oh well, that's that, she's out of little choc ices

I'm along for the treat  :)

• Like 2

OK, those of you who have been kind enough to follow other builds of mine will know that the Tarangus Bulldog OOB was nothing like complicated enough a task for an idiot like me...  

So I have decided to pep it up a bit.

I still want to build it largely OOB, partly because it looks a pretty decent kit and partly because the Bulldog is not exactly a complex aircraft at the best of times.  However, anyone who has read my signature block knows that my stash already contains a 1/48 Bulldog, namely the only other show in town (as far as I know), the Heritage Aviation Models resin job.  This too looks a really nice kit (I have the second version, with a vac form canopy; the original had a resin canopy which apparently had shape issues, so John fixed it and re-released it - the joys of good quality cottage industry providers).  

I have therefore decided to build the two of them side by side partly as a comparative build and partly because I have never built a complete resin kit (used plenty of resin parts, but never a complete kit), and it is high time I bit that particular bullet; I don't want one of Peter Hall's exquisite 1/350 warships to be my first foray into resin... that would be trying to run before I can walk.  I also think we should continue to support the little guys wherever we can, or we will lose them and lose a lot of high quality esoteric subjects in a sea of Tamigawa Spitfires, which would reduce choice for everyone.

So let's see whether I can bodge together a decent Bulldog out of two kits, both of which are variations on short run, but both of which look very nice on first inspection.

You have already had the sprue shot of the Tarangus, so here is the same for Heritage:

32188644715_8fecab87b5_h.jpg

This was taken after I'd already spent 45 minutes in a mask cleaning up a few parts - though to be honest the standard of casting is stunning; very little clean-up work to do, and casting blocks pretty simple to remove.

32188643545_a092c7558e_h.jpg

One thing that is readily apparent for both models is that we are going to need as much nose weight as possible.  Even the real Bulldog is quite sensitive in pitch on the ground (don't load up the rear of the cabin too heavily without thinking, or you'll face an embarrassing conversation with the Boss; I don't know from experience, but I know a man who does!).  Here Heritage gives the modeller an advantage over Tarangus by casting the nose as a single pice, which is now duly filled up with Liquid Gravity sealed in place with PVA:

32188642735_028a7d11c8_b.jpg

Since that photo, the glue level has settled quite nicely as a few air bubbles emerge slowly, so I think it should all fit onto the fuselage happily enough.

As I said, I have been cleaning up Heritage parts and checking for fit - always an issue with resin - and thus far I am very impressed with Heritage; the fuselage / cockpit parts (being cleaned up before I start painting the insides) fit so well that they hold together with only the minimum of tape.  So here is the first of no doubt many side-by-side shots: the two fuselages (compared before I did the Liquid Gravity thing, obviously!):

32188645905_8aa31a8ba8_b.jpg

They compare pretty closely in terms of dimensions.  On first viewing it looks as though there is a significant difference between them in the size of the cockpit aperture (though paralax / camera angle reduces it in this picture), but that's because of the slightly different way in which the two designers have chose to do the cockpit coaming.

More during the week.

Crisp

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 8

As you say the casting looks superb on the Heritage kit. I second your comments about support for  smaller kit-producers....even if Freightdog are taking an age with that Wasp...

This should help to pass the time until they do.:D

• Like 3

Interspersed with work on the Sea King tail, I have gradually been painting the interior of the old Bullfrog(s).  The decor (there can be no other word) of the Bulldog interior was not exactly rough, tough and worry - it reminded me of a 1970s caravan, with tasteful beige carpet too protect the lower walls, a dark grey number higher up, and aluminium strips between the two.  This is not a simple paint job, but this is probably as good as it's going to get (this is the Heritage fuselage, but the Tarangus looks broadly similar) :

-32178219016_a41950b738_b.jpg

I have also just spent a happy 45 minutes adding instruments to the Tarangus panel:

32178219346_41b43d35b3_b.jpg

The Heritage panel, though beautifully cast, represents an aircraft with flight instruments on only the port side.  The RNEFTS aircraft were all dual, so had dual panels.  I have yet to decide whether to adapt the panel, or simply live with it.

There are slight differences between the two kits - notably in the treatment of the front portion of the cockpit.  I suspect that once everything has been buttoned up the visible difference will be slight, but at the moment it is actually quite marked:

32097586271_dfbd8db404_b.jpg

32097585981_4aab725923_b.jpg

I don't know which one is more correct, and I don't propose to go down that route!  These two are being built as they come, for good or ill (which I guess answers my dilemma about the Heritage IP).

More soon

Crisp

• Like 8

Looking very nice....

i have built the heritage kit.....lovely ......(one of the lucky ones to get it with the resin canopy).....got the taragus one too and interesting to see both being built together.......

hope to see progress n will be following this thread

rgds

• Like 1

I have never done this parallel builds malarkey before, and it is quite fun.  Both kits have their strengths and weaknesses, but either could be built into a decent replica with some effort, I'd say, if you are undecided which to get.

One area where Heritage has an advantage over Tarangus is in the cast single piece nose, which makes adding nose weight a whole lot easier (and with the Bulldog's design, both kits will certainly need it).  I showed you the Heritage nose the other day - and test balances suggest that it should work, though that is before the tail pieces have been added.  Tarangus have a more conventional split fuselage, which also has gaps in it for a separate engine etc. so I had to build a couple of card baffles to stop the Liquid Gravity (& glue!) from simply oozing out.  Starboard side done; port will follow once all this has properly cured and I can be sure I am not building in areas which won't fit.

32195083616_0698ff6536_b.jpg

That aside, I have made a lot of progress today, especially with the Heritage fuselage, which is now glued together:

32195083006_4ca37fc973_b.jpg

32195079386_d21405d105_b.jpg

I think I have filed a bit too much off the underside of the cockpit coaming, so that's going to need some work to fair it in properly, but otherwise it seems to have fitted together nicely.

Herewith a couple of comparison shots with Tarangus, which is not yet glued (the cockpit is fixed in position, but the fuselage halves are still separate until I have fitted the side windows).

32084634432_31d4a83b72_b.jpg

32084641432_0df4507024_b.jpg

Both are undeniably short run kits - well done, but they need a bit of modelling to get them to work (which isn't a bad thing).  Neither is a shake & bake.  The Heritage has the more refined detail - as often with a well-produced resin kit.  I am also not entirely in love with Tarangus' plastic, which is hard, slightly brittle, and doesn't take well to Tamiya Extra Thin.  I have had to resort to CA at times.  Still, they are both fun.  A couple of sets of belts and I can button the cockpits up.

More soon

Crisp 

P.S.  The Heritage originally had a resin canopy, and there were some shape issues with it, apparently - the Bulldog canopy is very distinctive.  The reissue has a pair of vac from canopies (plus resin side windows), so here are a couple of shots seeing how it looks.

32115211631_4e2705ca42_b.jpg

31392674534_f9ccb5815e_b.jpg

Side view out of focus, for which apologies, but I'd say that nails the distinctive Bulldog profile pretty darn well.

• Like 5

Concentrating on the Heritage first today.  Even with a nose full of Liquid Gravity...

32213741336_ac270e6082_b.jpg

...my crude balance tests (taped fuselage balance on finger to establish C of G) don't really fill me with confidence that I have avoided tail sitting, so i have removed the rudder pedals (invisible anyway) and piled in another layer of lead ball bearings (or whatever they are) underneath where the IP will go.  

31410775744_52d4cde3ce_b.jpg

Glue still drying - hence the extreme nose-down angle!

You are a bunch of very alert people, so you will have noticed something else about the Heritage bulldog, other than the UP ("right, Bloggs, open your eyes and recover now...").  Yes, it has wings.  Glued wings, pinned with brass rod (which i forgot to photograph before fitting, so you will have to take my word for it).

I have also prepared the tail surfaces - both horizontal and rudder - by drilling and pinning them, ready for fitting once everything else is stable.  Note P & S on tail feathers; they are different.

31410774054_32c6875359_b.jpg

So herewith the Heritage Bulldog as it is at the time of writing.  Almost looking like an aircraft.

31410773454_7926ecab61_b.jpg

Tomorrow, once all the glue is firmly cured, I will have to get round to filling those gaps at the wing roots.  They're not too bad in real life, though; I have seen as bad or worse in Styrene.

Then a session to really get the surface ready for paint.  I have never sprayed Mr Surfacer through an airbrush, but I presume it can be done; I think it's going to be necessary to get a good even finish on the resin, especially since this will have a gloss finish and almost no weathering, what with being an immaculate training aircraft and all.

Still, I really like this kit (which pleases me greatly, since I have its Chipmunk cousin, plus Harrier T4N and Hunter T8M conversions from the same stable in my stash).

More soon

Crisp

Incidentally, a comparison with a Sea King of the same scale just to provide some perspective.  RN flying instructors really knew what they were doing; I went from qualified on the Bulldog to qualified on the Sea King in 7 months (via the Gazelle to learn about rotary wing).  No comparison in terms of complexity!

31411020074_baa3fca153_b.jpg

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 5

Nice.

All this and no one has even mentioned rivets. Tsk!

Favourite Bulldog moment...

Scampton, early 90's. A line of Bulldogs with a gap in it.

Two linies chatting at the wingtip of a 'dog next to the gap.

Bulldog taxies into gap, Liney immediately leans elbow on

convenient new wingtip armrest. Perfect timing.

• Like 4

Meanwhile, over in the land of Tarangus, the kit design means I have to tackle nose weight in a slightly different way.  So here is the Starboard fuselage half (done yesterday) with the crude compartment added to the Port fuselage half to stop the little beads running everywhere:

32214334036_6bdd84e048_b.jpg

...and here they are both filled with Liquid Gravity.  Early balance tests indicate that this ought to be enough weight for this kit.

32214333626_0e03bed1e3_b.jpg

More soon

Crisp

• Like 4

I am not super-detailing (though a couple of things have tempted me, I am resisting!), and both kits are simple.  It's amazing how much difference that makes!

Is anyone reading this who is used to vac-form canopies?  I am a vacform virgin (& experimenting with these new media in a benign environment was one of the reasons for this build).  1. Does the old dip in future ploy work on a vac-form?  2. I have already got the canopy (still have a spare) broadly free of the extraneous stuff; is filing the best way to sort it frim here?

Oh, & any tips re air-brushing Mr Surfacer would be welcome, too; I think both lits would enenfit from a really good painting surface prep.

Crisp I do the occasional home brew stuff, canopies and the like

Now I know Steve (where is he skiing in Bermuda or sunbathing on Copacabana?) uses Clear/Future/surface treatments then pops on dollops of cyano, but I have had cyano-hazing occur even after using it so I would be hesitant to advise it

:(

Never used Mr S in an airbrush either

Sorry mate

Not a lot of use to you am I?

Mrs P says so too  ;)

Now you have that Liquid Gravity in a pair of holes why not add a splash of paint over the exposed surface, I have heard of both cyano and PVA going odd after using LG but dried out modelling paint ought to act to seal the surface of the little balls even if it is over some other gluey stuff

• Like 2

I hope you are sitting down, Martin.  I have a stinking cold at the moment, like half the population, and am finding it very difficult to sleep.  So I did about 90 minutes' modelling from 2:30 - 4 a.m.  

As a result, the Heritage model is really starting to look like a Bulldog...

32114126822_895d3bd989_b.jpg

32263460175_1543ba7584_b.jpg

32114126502_b5226a8cbd_b.jpg

32114126132_e61f0ce99a_b.jpg

Flying out of balance as usual, Crisp!  {I try to have at least one control surface deflected on my models - I think it gives them a little more life].

Time to do some work on the Tarangus.

More soon

Crisp

Oh, and one with the canopy

31887493690_49c398cb42_b.jpg

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 1