HMS Upholder - 1990 1/350 Scratch build

As I was building the EVA resin kit of the 1940's Upholder - I wondered if I could make a companion model of the 1990's version.

I did some research - and found a side profile drawing in a Russian submarine book I had - and Wiki informed me that the beam was 7.2 metres in diamter.

I checked in my stash for a suitable donor kit - and discovered that the Hobby Boss kit of the German navy Type 212 had the approx diameter hull - even the bows looked the same - the only problem was the hull length - way too short - and of course the upper decking and bridge (sail, conning tower??)

Luckily 7m converts to 20mm in 1/350 scale and I found some 20mm dia plastic knitting needles to use a plug to lengthen the hull.

So, here goes...........

350-HMS%20Upholder_90_01.jpg

Type 212 at top - compared to Upholder drawing.

350-HMS%20Upholder_90_02.jpg

Type 212 hull sawn in half - with 20mm dia plastic knitting needle 'plug'.

More to follow....

Ken

Edited by Flankerman
spelling
  • Like 7

Some progress.

The hull plug in place......

350-HMS%20Upholder_90_03.jpg

The front hole is where the Type 212's sail has been removed - the rear hole is where the sharply angled 'haunches' have been cut down.
A length of square section of plastic bridges the gap - ready for the new decking.

350-HMS%20Upholder_90_04.jpg

Underside view showing the new keel - which still needs the addition of rounded ends......

350-HMS%20Upholder_90_05.jpg

It's begining to look a bit like HMS Upholder.....

350-HMS%20Upholder_90_06.jpg

Ken

• Like 6

More.....

Milliput was applied to the bow and stern decking to blend them into the hull - and shaped with a wet finger whilst still pliable.

Once dry, it was sanded to shape......

350-HMS%20Upholder_90_09.jpg

After a wash in warm soapy water to remove any greasy finger marks, the first coat of primer has been applied....

350-HMS%20Upholder_90_10.jpg

..... which reveals a couple of minor issues - but overall I'm chuffed with the results.

In the meantime, I've glued three rectangles of thick plastic card together - ready to be shaped into the conning tower....

350-HMS%20Upholder_90_11.jpg

What is it supposed to be called ?? - Sail, Conning Tower - or Bridge ??

Anyone know ???

Ken

Fin. It's only the Americans who call it a sail; a Conning Tower implies that there's a pressure vessel inside the fin, and the last boat which had one of those was USS Triton. The bridge is the bit on top of the fin where the Officer of the Watch stands while he's driving.

• Like 1

2400 class submarines had a five man chamber within the fin for the entry and exit of special forces from the submarine while it was dived, it was also used to gain access the the bridge for the Officer of the Watch and lookouts from within the boat during surface running.

A liitle more progress....

I've used Tamiya tape, cut to shape, to represent the side array sonar panels (if that's what they are(?) - I'm not sure it will be successful - a coat of grey primer will tell.....

350-HMS%20Upholder_90_12.jpg

I've also carved to fin to shape - as well as the upper and lower rudders....

350-HMS%20Upholder_90_13.jpg

More to follow.......

Comments welcome.

Ken

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am in Barrow, where Upholder was built, and got to see it, and the rest of the class being readied for the Canadians and saw something that made me wonder if they had been fitted with propulsors. I had been passing a part of the shipyard and saw what looked like a propulsor shroud lying on the ground. I wondered if they had been removed because the subs would be too close to American eyes and we did not want the Americans to know secret technical details.

HMCS Chicoutimi (ex Upholder) undergoing deperming in Devonshire Dock, Barrow.

Chicoutimi-600x401.jpg

Nearly there........

A spray coat of Halfords Volvo Dark Grey from a rattle can......

350-HMS%20Upholder_90_17.jpg

All I need do now is apply some water depth marks - followed by a mist coat of satin varnish, then the propeller (from an Airfix Trafalgar) and the masts and she's done....

350-HMS%20Upholder_90_18.jpg

Ken

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...