This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Alan R

Nissan GTR Trio - Has become a quartet!

On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 1:05 PM, Hamden said:

These are progressing nicely.

Looking forward to more of the same

Hi Roger, yes they are making progress, albeit slowly.

Here is some more.

I finally got the top coat of the Ford "Electric Orange" on the GTR.

This is one of the two-pack colours from Zero-Paints. I thought that this was going to be a problem. If I wasn't careful it would look patchy.

Anyway, I shouldn't have worried, it came out OK. like this:

y4mk37j74DMfLv3bAc1j0jDtslm8oRI8R-q45RKH

y4m7AFlKAIZR9jG9H0KMe70_Au_fnaarGACoxNK1

Sorry about the focus issue. Entirely my fault. I should have re-focused...

y4mW3zmlL_5cly5vT6ZHbYf-2y4stVXLCH6tV9ut

y4m1t5yZdXIfK8DNPnZELXeNQCfGFNizbyQK4_G3

At this stage, the finish is a matt finish. It still needs a gloss coat.

I left the model 48 hours or so, before applying the gloss coat. Again, Zero Paints 1K clear-coat.

This is how it came out after a bit of polishing up with Tamiya Lapping film. I may try a bit more with a liquid abrasive. I haven't made up my mind about that.

y4m9SNytvbZO_4sKKuLu5r_CbvyUA4durV_kVC9s

y4m8HDwWI5jMINz4e_GO6eJfJ4ZjPDtKnLEFwHZx

y4msVlI4gG1UP1Fj6ooyHSs1fYZmUlGd3HSrX1Ad

y4m9iKeUsf53k_Bx-vQobtt054dK0KXtOfSls_bt

y4msNKsXqNFd_LgpFp5u3Ps7kbCJKotpqTmKSzsQ

I am quite pleased with the finish. Not quite up to the finish you can get with the 2K clear coat, but I think that it's a bit too glossy for me. This looks just about right to my dodgy eye-sight... :)

Now, I can start assembling the rest of the model.

I am hoping to get some colour onto the Nismo version soon.

All the best, Alan.

Edited by Alan R

Hi All,

A minor update on this.

I have prepped the bodyshell for the lights.

This involved vary carefully painting the interiors of the lights with Molotow chrome with a very small 'micro-brush'.

Anyway, it looks like this:

y4m8zcrlF1Y_sNsFZgpDD51sN9-JHwtIbu2xdFrd

I used a micro-brush dampened with water to remove any excess chrome paint from the body. It works if the paint is still wet, but not if it has dried!

y4mk378BVlZwoY7_DgvwoPzPDlRWgQbvFH7YbVCl

There are two dark spots on the window surround, but these will be painted semi-gloss black in the near future, so will disappear...

I don't currently have pictures, but I have attached the cockpit to the floor pan. I'll get those uploaded soon.

More soon.

Thanks for looking,

Alan.

Hi All,

A couple of updates tonight.

The R32 has been 99% complete since before Christmas. But due to a number of factors, like Christmas and New Year, no real progress was made, and I had forgotten that I had actually taken pictures of the final stages.

So, here is the first instalment of tonight. Glazing installed:

y4mws2OuoHlrRg_pfgS24RvS8rH80CRsli8pz78t

Now, it's not obvious in this picture but the A pillars had become bowed, probably due to a heavy (ish) weight being put on the top of the body-shell before the glazing was installed, probably many months ago.

The result was that the A pillars didn't want to stick to the glazing.

I tried a number of techniques, mostly involving cocktail stick with glue on the end. The final resort was to use Bostic Contact adhesive. None worked.

So, after a happy accident (The shell fell on the floor and the glazing fell out!), I cleaned everything up, and put Bostic on the A pillars and the contact point on the glazing before putting the glazing back in. I gave the glue about 10 minutes to partially set, since this is required for the contact adhesive to work best. After careful insertion of the glazing, I applied a bit of pressure on the A pillars thus making contact with the glazing. Hey presto! it worked. Tha A pillars stuck to the glazing, and no bow was evident.

y4mnWk61my8LfLwcHUP43I007dRkr8jH9YKVWrar

From behind. No bow evident here either.

y4m9Unn9SWc9EyaHZB5NO9pJvV3Y33W95-YR2ifF

Neither from here...

y4mCVosrIQKV1ilqw6EOD0XIjvpYSWRgGmKGwQCA

There's still a long way to go yet.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers, Alan.

Edited by Alan R
Wrong Model !

Hi All,

This was the next stage. Having successfully put the glazing into the body shell, I then proceeded to mount the body onto the chassis.

This wasn't completely straightforward, as I struggled to get the pins on the floor-pan to mate up with the slots in the body shell.

After some gentle persuasion, I was able to get the body onto the chassis with no other problems.

I always find this stage a bit daunting. I always worry that something will snap...

Anyway, pictures:

y4mnNtvoclEdMfEeNr3KwLa7Dh9yYuFYJ2SrNNDM

If you look carefully, you can see that the right hand wing sits slightly below the wheel-arch.

y4mlZndYc2y_8EGAS2kXgm-pEBaRBYEVE9dbPoLk

It's a lot more obvious here. Anyway, after a bit of fiddling around, it all fitted nicely.

y4mNuW4IO4Y8ztlTDERszUbLaWDMcByi0eG6h-st

y4meo7GhUa8KA9GKc6uxD0SifzbsckxpIoq9R-Pf

I really like the way the wheels came out. I sprayed them with Tamiya Gunmetal (X10) thinned with Mr Color Levelling thinners. They show no orange peeling at all.

y4mNgRGbY_NBWzgWS0Vlw8_yH3OgBRTEV9jst5xy

The rear-end.

y4me5vXDWjGSPQgFLg7B2mRs8unOikFH7hCGlxgb

It's looking like a GTR now...

y4mbF2QHQhwohY4hI1Ris9G14bZj3D1U36LH0YOG

The front. Shows off the magnificent lump that powers this beast!

y4mmWO6Y7n7aptDndhkg3bnqSiTKowQr0X2i_ZlD

The orange suits this car, I think.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers, Alan.

Hi All,

This is probably the final instalment for the R32.

All the ancillary bits have been attached. Mirrors, etc, Makes it more like a car than a construction site...

This stage was reasonably easy,

y4m2dWf7CMP8ztoNWEAib7KBtuvE9pu4k50e5XsT

y4mcmgCIRIW-ha7phXTpLLSzCVDyghGxO7nkG79b

y4my6gDgxFSvbIELXIzU2VR-zEHsG7JFpgszSvzi

The depth of field is a bit poor. I wasn't using my tripod, so had to use a wide aperture and high speed shutter, hence the shallow depth of field.

I just couldn't be bothered to get out the tripod...

y4mh-nw-QRKaigG3m-XRHSIULmRRcSat0cTOStQ-

All that is left to do at this stage is to apply the few decals and attach the licence plates.

After that I am calling it done.

This one is destined for the RFI section.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers, Alan.

Edited by Alan R
Wrong model number!

Looks very good, and well done on getting the A-pillars straightened back out. Like you, I always dread fitting the body to the chassis so I'm glad that you got it mounted without too many dramas. The colour suits it too - I wasn't too sure when it was just the shell but adding in all the details has made it look right now.

Superb result with the R33. Glad the glazing wasn't to trouble some

Looking forward to the other two following this one over the finish line!

Roger

very nice work, but that looks a lot like an R32, not an R33. am i missing something?

34 minutes ago, spoly said:

very nice work, but that looks a lot like an R32, not an R33. am i missing something?

Having owned an R33 I would agree witb you. Nice work nonetheless. I especially like the colour, brings back some good memories! 

I have driven almost every version of the Skyline and I have to agree, the R35 doesn't have the character that the otger ones have. Out of all the Skylines I have driven I found the R32 to be the most fun. 

Hi All,

My apologies it's an R32...

I think that the R32 is the prettiest version.

Cheers, Alan.

Edited by Alan R

the R32 is one of my all time favourite cars, both for its looks and its domination of Australian motorsport.