Nissan GTR Trio - Has become a quartet!

Alan R

On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 1:05 PM, Hamden said:

These are progressing nicely.

Looking forward to more of the same

Hi Roger, yes they are making progress, albeit slowly.

Here is some more.

I finally got the top coat of the Ford "Electric Orange" on the GTR.

This is one of the two-pack colours from Zero-Paints. I thought that this was going to be a problem. If I wasn't careful it would look patchy.

Anyway, I shouldn't have worried, it came out OK. like this:

y4mk37j74DMfLv3bAc1j0jDtslm8oRI8R-q45RKH

y4m7AFlKAIZR9jG9H0KMe70_Au_fnaarGACoxNK1

Sorry about the focus issue. Entirely my fault. I should have re-focused...

y4mW3zmlL_5cly5vT6ZHbYf-2y4stVXLCH6tV9ut

y4m1t5yZdXIfK8DNPnZELXeNQCfGFNizbyQK4_G3

At this stage, the finish is a matt finish. It still needs a gloss coat.

I left the model 48 hours or so, before applying the gloss coat. Again, Zero Paints 1K clear-coat.

This is how it came out after a bit of polishing up with Tamiya Lapping film. I may try a bit more with a liquid abrasive. I haven't made up my mind about that.

y4m9SNytvbZO_4sKKuLu5r_CbvyUA4durV_kVC9s

y4m8HDwWI5jMINz4e_GO6eJfJ4ZjPDtKnLEFwHZx

y4msVlI4gG1UP1Fj6ooyHSs1fYZmUlGd3HSrX1Ad

y4m9iKeUsf53k_Bx-vQobtt054dK0KXtOfSls_bt

y4msNKsXqNFd_LgpFp5u3Ps7kbCJKotpqTmKSzsQ

I am quite pleased with the finish. Not quite up to the finish you can get with the 2K clear coat, but I think that it's a bit too glossy for me. This looks just about right to my dodgy eye-sight... :)

Now, I can start assembling the rest of the model.

I am hoping to get some colour onto the Nismo version soon.

All the best, Alan.

Edited by Alan R
  • Like 2

• 5 months later...

Hi All,

A minor update on this.

I have prepped the bodyshell for the lights.

This involved vary carefully painting the interiors of the lights with Molotow chrome with a very small 'micro-brush'.

Anyway, it looks like this:

y4m8zcrlF1Y_sNsFZgpDD51sN9-JHwtIbu2xdFrd

I used a micro-brush dampened with water to remove any excess chrome paint from the body. It works if the paint is still wet, but not if it has dried!

y4mk378BVlZwoY7_DgvwoPzPDlRWgQbvFH7YbVCl

There are two dark spots on the window surround, but these will be painted semi-gloss black in the near future, so will disappear...

I don't currently have pictures, but I have attached the cockpit to the floor pan. I'll get those uploaded soon.

More soon.

Thanks for looking,

Alan.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Hi All,

A couple of updates tonight.

The R32 has been 99% complete since before Christmas. But due to a number of factors, like Christmas and New Year, no real progress was made, and I had forgotten that I had actually taken pictures of the final stages.

So, here is the first instalment of tonight. Glazing installed:

y4mws2OuoHlrRg_pfgS24RvS8rH80CRsli8pz78t

Now, it's not obvious in this picture but the A pillars had become bowed, probably due to a heavy (ish) weight being put on the top of the body-shell before the glazing was installed, probably many months ago.

The result was that the A pillars didn't want to stick to the glazing.

I tried a number of techniques, mostly involving cocktail stick with glue on the end. The final resort was to use Bostic Contact adhesive. None worked.

So, after a happy accident (The shell fell on the floor and the glazing fell out!), I cleaned everything up, and put Bostic on the A pillars and the contact point on the glazing before putting the glazing back in. I gave the glue about 10 minutes to partially set, since this is required for the contact adhesive to work best. After careful insertion of the glazing, I applied a bit of pressure on the A pillars thus making contact with the glazing. Hey presto! it worked. Tha A pillars stuck to the glazing, and no bow was evident.

y4mnWk61my8LfLwcHUP43I007dRkr8jH9YKVWrar

From behind. No bow evident here either.

y4m9Unn9SWc9EyaHZB5NO9pJvV3Y33W95-YR2ifF

Neither from here...

y4mCVosrIQKV1ilqw6EOD0XIjvpYSWRgGmKGwQCA

There's still a long way to go yet.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers, Alan.

Edited by Alan R
Wrong Model !
  • Like 2

Hi All,

This was the next stage. Having successfully put the glazing into the body shell, I then proceeded to mount the body onto the chassis.

This wasn't completely straightforward, as I struggled to get the pins on the floor-pan to mate up with the slots in the body shell.

After some gentle persuasion, I was able to get the body onto the chassis with no other problems.

I always find this stage a bit daunting. I always worry that something will snap...

Anyway, pictures:

y4mnNtvoclEdMfEeNr3KwLa7Dh9yYuFYJ2SrNNDM

If you look carefully, you can see that the right hand wing sits slightly below the wheel-arch.

y4mlZndYc2y_8EGAS2kXgm-pEBaRBYEVE9dbPoLk

It's a lot more obvious here. Anyway, after a bit of fiddling around, it all fitted nicely.

y4mNuW4IO4Y8ztlTDERszUbLaWDMcByi0eG6h-st

y4meo7GhUa8KA9GKc6uxD0SifzbsckxpIoq9R-Pf

I really like the way the wheels came out. I sprayed them with Tamiya Gunmetal (X10) thinned with Mr Color Levelling thinners. They show no orange peeling at all.

y4mNgRGbY_NBWzgWS0Vlw8_yH3OgBRTEV9jst5xy

The rear-end.

y4me5vXDWjGSPQgFLg7B2mRs8unOikFH7hCGlxgb

It's looking like a GTR now...

y4mbF2QHQhwohY4hI1Ris9G14bZj3D1U36LH0YOG

The front. Shows off the magnificent lump that powers this beast!

y4mmWO6Y7n7aptDndhkg3bnqSiTKowQr0X2i_ZlD

The orange suits this car, I think.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers, Alan.

• Like 2

Hi All,

This is probably the final instalment for the R32.

All the ancillary bits have been attached. Mirrors, etc, Makes it more like a car than a construction site...

This stage was reasonably easy,

y4m2dWf7CMP8ztoNWEAib7KBtuvE9pu4k50e5XsT

y4mcmgCIRIW-ha7phXTpLLSzCVDyghGxO7nkG79b

y4my6gDgxFSvbIELXIzU2VR-zEHsG7JFpgszSvzi

The depth of field is a bit poor. I wasn't using my tripod, so had to use a wide aperture and high speed shutter, hence the shallow depth of field.

I just couldn't be bothered to get out the tripod...

y4mh-nw-QRKaigG3m-XRHSIULmRRcSat0cTOStQ-

All that is left to do at this stage is to apply the few decals and attach the licence plates.

After that I am calling it done.

This one is destined for the RFI section.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers, Alan.

Edited by Alan R
Wrong model number!
  • Like 2

Looks very good, and well done on getting the A-pillars straightened back out. Like you, I always dread fitting the body to the chassis so I'm glad that you got it mounted without too many dramas. The colour suits it too - I wasn't too sure when it was just the shell but adding in all the details has made it look right now.

• 3 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, spoly said:

very nice work, but that looks a lot like an R32, not an R33. am i missing something?

Having owned an R33 I would agree witb you. Nice work nonetheless. I especially like the colour, brings back some good memories! 

I have driven almost every version of the Skyline and I have to agree, the R35 doesn't have the character that the otger ones have. Out of all the Skylines I have driven I found the R32 to be the most fun. 

• 3 months later...

Hi All,

Just a minor update on the R35. I have primed the floor-pan so that I can top coat it before installing the engine.

So here we are:#

y4m3Hkw4EZE2ZNQeDcV90QiwGTlvk02vT3KCs8P1

Not a lot more to report.

Thanks for looking.

Cheers, Alan.

• Like 2

• 10 months later...

Morning All,

The R35 got some more attention recently.

I must point out that a lot of this work has occurred over the last three to four months, and not just yesterday!

So, I bought the Hobby Design Photo-etch and resin after-market set for this kit, and have started to use some of the bits. I won't be using all of them, just too fiddly for my sausage-like fingers.

However, here we go:

y4ma4YBaY5NVgd-Bq29oM0Tt0vAdX7pSGRxw2SU1

This is the first time I have really used much in the way of photo-etch, and so far I am pleasantly surprised.

These are the fully assembled front discs for the GTR.

y4m_zSwhg4rEpvY_wXZmZm34_54_xR8SrmC5LRWg

Sorry for the under-exposed image. I have only just noticed that it's a bit dark.

The body shell has been primed.

You can just see behind, the other body panels, also primed.

y4m5a--Cnq8NzXZb5Z0stBXlPCwpiIRMj48t4FGJ

Here's a better shot of the other body panel parts and the exhaust.

Somehow, a white oval appeared on the back valance. Not sure how that happened. I have re-sprayed that part.

My plan is to paint this one Midnight Blue metallic.

y4mF_CcOg6DkYVK2g7D9ADcl-UTbp2iRTUcAI24m

These are the under-trays primed and ready for their final colour.

The floor pan was primed and sprayed satin black from a Halfords' Rattle Can. Then I started masking the floor-pan for the centre section:

y4mKafnOJyphpV-fLYVEK5ae8wluahnJG5b_oK8R

The colour call-out for this section was IJN Grey. Easy, I thought, until I took a look at how many IJN greys there are even in the Tamiya colour range! In the end, I plumped for XF-77.

The masking was a bit of a nightmare.!

y4mXMBXPyTl23C2WAIjoyR9-aR8MKAO-6dIiNncV

Here are all the prepared parts for the R35. sorry for the dark image. I didn't notice how dark it was when I uploaded it. I blame poor camera work!

You will notice (I hope) that the exhaust on the floor pan (Moulded into the piece!), is now aluminium. That involved even more complicated masking.

However, I am pleased with the outcome. It only needed a tiny amount of remedial touching-up.

That's all for now. More to come.

Thanks for looking.

Cheers,

Alan.

• Like 2

That's a good bit of work there, especially with the floorpan. Granted I've only had one model where I've had to paint moulded in parts, but even so I know how hard it is to get those right and appreciate the result you have here.

And I do sympathise with the stubby-fingeredness - I'd be really struggling without the magnifying headset and number 5 tweezers (in fact the range of tweezers I have accumulated since returning to the hobby would probably put a beauticians to shame!)

• Like 1

Blimey, you've got some fun ahead! 

Agree on the r32 as well, best shape of skyline for me. 

Following these with interest, and as for timescale on these, the best things are worth waiting for...

• Like 1

Just found this and caught up on your progress. The R32 looks great. I'm building the same kit but doing it with the Axia decals. I've also got a 1/12 R32 that I'm currently working on. 

Carl

• 2 months later...

Hi All,

Just a minor update on this one.

I got the colour on the Nismo GTR:

spacer.pngy4me9dvdgAUgFU0LJlIBeznJWLMWP1amYlWrBlPI

y4m62v5zCo-29QcB2WfcGaT4uUGhA1xQKPzLy7kg

It's Zero paints 'Mica Red'. I think that it suits this car really well.

It mostly went on really smoothly, except for a mild dose of orange peel on the bonnet!

I wonder if it's because the bonnet is clear and it reacts more badly to the zero paints than the normal polystyrene?

Anyway, after a brief sanding back, it came up well.

All I need to do now is to gently smoothen the surface with a very fine abrasive (I'll have to get some of those fine grit sanding pads)

I did notice last night that I haven't painted the door mirrors. Doh!

Thanks for looking.

Cheers,

Alan.

Edited by Alan R
Found a couple more imges
  • Like 6

• 6 months later...

Hi All,

Just noticed that it's six months since I last posted anything here! Time does fly... ✈️

I have even reserved a parking place in the car park for it!

y4m5cpfazvDLIsGKxMRGunoQkFshg7Vs4WjG0Un3

The funny shadow at the bottom is the fact that I was using my Sigma 10-20mm ultra-wide zoom lens and the flash can't cover that wide an angle!

I suppose I could have used the "opposite to dodge" tool in my image processor. Never mind...

Anyway, here is some progress. This will be a large update as a lot has been done, just not recorded...

y4mb__MApiglA01WGO40FpEdXku--GUcm0tp5QFB

The interior and seats primed up. I used the recommended XF-54 (Dark sea grey). There will a bit of masking to do here as the seat's centres are XF-63 (German Grey)

I wasn't looking forward to that! Masking tape and scalpel blades, a recipe for a blood-bath as far as I am concerned!

y4mauoNXaeMOIWMtbHg9cC3KbTo7I0OarWbNtwqU

y4mYVATdAC5kAy1-tDanWjGCdLRfal4A_kE2JBjx

y4mBXRvRhUvoN9wsoyfHYASy3Bc-pai7Uqti-mdX

The engine, front suspension and transmission installed. Not too shabby so far...

y4m58LgCF_VCrjITDVTCmZgXPMyuncPvp5Z2SZrO

The interior, all masked up ready for the XF-63. It wasn't too painful to mask (and no blood!)

y4mmSjcCpeJy9WvA6EKuy8kQr-OlZU00BciqW_CJ

y4mL7jls1zwZSmfQRLVBflRRDhCz98l5HtIcuKZH

The rear suspension in and the wheels are on. No dramas! I always worry that the force needed to fit the wheels will derange the suspension, but somehow it hasn't happened yet...

y4mIP1yj5UamOyVnlbgni2Q5KdIOtXnujXvePxU4

From the side. The drilled discs look good.

The slightly over the top exhaust was installed as is, even though it's a bit bright... 😎

y4mVBR1d6UdbYvSKWRx3SdwgJKzeEaQexOBZVLNc

Typical Tamiya quality fit here. Even the exhaust fitted on to the manifolds...

y4ma3Y69OkI_ZORWJX0k7UNLw_GBXam46UH_TcFA

From the front with a few ancillaries fitted, Not that the intercooler should have a 'Nismo' logo on it, but an over-enthusiastic application of micro-sol literally dissolved it!

y4moXG0XZTkGWsd9lKI-8S3ExnxzcjUGV2X0CKFj

The glazing masked and painted (No image if it all masked up, sorry!)

y4mKKP5-jBP8iXZsn7J7AKsy5jetzfIw_hM_AY07

I never really know what colour to do the roof-lining. So I go for a neutral light grey.

y4meZ4x1ivQyUeHBh3m_sRLATId4GTTFSZXWUNib

The driver's mirror, ready for installation using the provided metallic transfer. Didn't come out too bad.

After I glued in the glazing (with High-tack PVA glue), I did the same with the mirror. Less mess than CA glue or polystyrene cement.

y4msQ0hBQKo4LnEJpaqSXfb4rkJTPAB5LyyuRg7G

The door mirrors. Because these glue directly onto the glazing, I painted the backs the same light grey as the roof lining.

Again the mirrors are the metal transfers provided with the kit.

y4m6k06H2Pj2lDuzSyKoB_D3R-TD-gUeGx6WINVU

The bodyshell sprayed with Zero paints 1K top coat, then buffed up as much as possible. To be honest, the camera is forgiving here...

y4mFPQ34W2h6cV4XE_SG3xdM6q04eIkCzrZXGkjb

Just trying out the space for fit...

y4m8FCjONXB93EQjngeKdGP_ux6-ku3XrDh8fhxq

Window surrounds blacked in. I used Tamiya masking tape to make sure I didn't overpaint the body.

The front surround hasn't yet been done.

Apart from some minor problems that were fixed by carefully touching up some spots with a cocktail stick.

y4m2Gzm5XKLy5XRC3RmwQ1AaxdkEPjRjhaxeRcXR

And that's where we are at this time.

Thanks for looking.

Cheers,

Alan.

Edited by Alan R
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Chaps,

Another update on this.

We are nearly there.

So here we go:

00F1fWakfDsvr70nSS6tlUNOn1ycWMyidEt18IVI

All the engine room ancillaries, apart from the brake servo have been fitted.

I can't remember whether I said before, but I used a high-tack PVA glue to fix the glazing to the body shell.

Seems to have come out OK.

nM7AMz6tQiKn49NCL0TzRrwfVVc5-EkWvzok8Bua

The brake servo. Obviously, I could have added more details (like pipework), but decided that I wanted to get this guy finished before the end of 2020.

I painted the whole thing grey as a primer coat, then coated it the Tamiya X-11 in several thin diluted coats.

I picked out the master cylinder in matt white, then topped it off with Abbadon Black for the cap.

Sorry, It's a bit fuzzy. Hand held camera in lowish light.

X2tRMB7IyibGxzXXUyeGeatrvI3UOS1DlVrIecVB

Here it is fitted.

NR3e_wvqUOCzp1cI34VPiFpXo-kOG134F292OOjS

Here (and in the previous image that I have painted the reflectors for the lights. Again, I used the marvellous Molotow Chrome pen.

I decanted a small amount on to a non-porous surface by shaking the pen (It seems to make the ink flow out) then using a micro-brush, I painted the reflectors.

nNqxfsEgSHjmCG7Nj0hqM2iOtd_cRXfrXXjv6IHh

Here's the Nismo and Beemer together. A handsome pair, eh?

oIjsj5ZDaYcEKIXLKp809-AC5InL_OX8UG7T16Ij

Bonnet (Hood) fitted.

The next time you see this it will be in the RFI section.

Thanks for looking,

Alan.

Edited by Alan R
  • Like 4