Bandai TIE Interceptor (181st Imperial Fighter Wing)

TIE Interceptor

181st Imperial Fighter Wing | Bandai 1/72

tieinterceptorWM.jpg

tieint3wm.jpg

tieint4wm.jpg

tieint2wm.jpg

tieint5wm.jpg

tieint1wm.jpg

I did this kit as a nice sendoff build before I went on vacation for the week between Christmas and the New Year. It's painted as the personal TIE Interceptor of Commander of the 181st Imperial Fighter Wing, Soontir Fel. The red "bloodstripes" signify ten combat kills, something nearly every member of the elite 181st bore on their Interceptors. Since Soontir Fel is one of the greatest pilots in the Galaxy, his personal fighter has seen lots of action against the Rebellion (and New Republic), so I decided to give it a little bit of weathering. I painted the entire ship with Alclad metallics and used some liquid mask for chipping before giving the entire model a coat in a custom blue-grey I mixed up with a couple Tamiya paints. The wing panels were painted with a mix of Vallejo Model Air Black and Arctic Blue (metallic) to give them an iridescent shimmer. The red strip is just Tamiya Flat Red weathered in the same manner as the hull of the ship. The rest of the weathering was done with MIG Productions enamels. Comments and criticism is welcomed as always!

• Like 19

Yes, very nice build !

It's difficult to achieve something different with the standard Imperial colour schemes, but this "TFA" take on the Interceptor with the red stripe looks great. The chipping on the leading edges and viewport also take it that extra step beyond just a standard model.

As Madhatter said, the Interceptor is also in my opinion the best looking Tie Fighter version.

Well done. I'll be keeping this one as reference :-)

• Like 1

Thanks everyone! This was a fun model to build for sure but it's about to go to a new home because a friend of mine offered to buy it from me (this is the sixth kit he's bought of mine... he commissioned an X-wing and three TIE fighters from me and then bought my Red 6 X-wing to go with his Jek Porkins bust).

I'm also happy to note that I used that money to buy a new lens for my camera so hopefully my photography will improve!

Edited by ScootyPuffJunior