1/48 - Hawker Sea Hurricane Mk.1B by Airfix - released - CAM Ship Catapult by NeOmega

Homebee

It does need a pilots headrest and rear catapult spools, but these will probably have to be scratch built? Also not sre about the codes S7F being yellow? That said, it is nice to see a Sea Hurricane Mk.Ib release from them.

Cheers

Tony

Apart from the spools, headrest and decals, aren't the rest of the bits in the current boxing anyway?  

That was my plan for the  next Sea Hurricane...

Edited by Grey Beema

10 hours ago, tonyot said:

It does need a pilots headrest and rear catapult spools, but these will probably have to be scratch built? Also not sre about the codes S7F being yellow? That said, it is nice to see a Sea Hurricane Mk.Ib release from them.

Cheers

Tony

Have you got any close up pictures of the rear spools? I've only got picture of the Shuttleworth Sea Hurricane which doesn't have them fitted, just the holes where they go. The best shots I have are like this, from a bit of a distance.

kem-2.jpg

Hello,

Unfortunately I do not have a proper scanning device at home, so I can only provide you some snapshots taken with my phone:

001_zpsxa7vr2fg.jpg

002_zpse2poszz8.jpg

003_zpsukuyict5.jpg

for reference, the images above are from:

1. The Hawker Hurricane - A Comprehensive Guide / Second Edition / by R. A. Franks / SAM Publications / MDF no 22 / ISBN 978-1-906959-34-0

(the first two drawings)

and

2. Hawker Hurricane - Inside and Out / by M. Hiscock / ISBN 1 86126 630-8

(the pictures)

I hope it helps you 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tbolt said:

Have you got any close up pictures of the rear spools? I've only got picture of the Shuttleworth Sea Hurricane which doesn't have them fitted, just the holes where they go. The best shots I have are like this, from a bit of a distance.

kem-2.jpg

I'm so stupid; you were asking about the rear ones. I've got it wrong; sorry for spam.

1 hour ago, mack said:

I'm so stupid; you were asking about the rear ones. I've got it wrong; sorry for spam.

Thanks anyway. I have both of those books and I'm a regular at Old Warden, so I am quite familiar with the forward ones :) (plus they are already in the kit).

Edited by Tbolt
  • Like 1

Sorry I`ve been in hospital for a spinal op so couldn`t reply sooner,.......sorry I don`t have any better pohotos than the one you have provided,......I usuall drill holes and then insert a piece of plastic than round off the edges.

As for the head rest.......the one on ths Shuttleworth Hurri is correct as far as I can tell;

Sea_Hurricane_-_Shuttleworth_May_2009_(3531240152).jpg

Cheers,

Tony 

• Like 1

Hope the op was a success and you're free of pain @tonyot 

That photo you've posted is rich with detail! Quite a few holes and bumps and other bits around the engine cowl as well as the headrest in question. Also see the boarding step isn't down nor are the footsteps open; I guessed those were all linked to the sliding canopy but perhaps I guessed wrong and they are not.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Col. said:

Hope the op was a success and you're free of pain @tonyot 

That photo you've posted is rich with detail! Quite a few holes and bumps and other bits around the engine cowl as well as the headrest in question. Also see the boarding step isn't down nor are the footsteps open; I guessed those were all linked to the sliding canopy but perhaps I guessed wrong and they are not.

Cheers Col......yes mate the op seem to have been a success and rid me of that awful leg pain straight away!

Re the step,........it was linked to the hand hold but not the canopy,.......the ground crew would pull the step down and the flap over the hand hold would open too.

All the best mate,

Tony

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, tonyot said:

Cheers Col......yes mate the op seem to have been a success and rid me of that awful leg pain straight away!

Re the step,........it was linked to the hand hold but not the canopy,.......the ground crew would pull the step down and the flap over the hand hold would open too.

All the best mate,

Tony

Glad to hear that Tony. Guess you'll have a wee while of rehab before back to full function again but hope you're well enough to work at the modelling bench.

Thanks for confirmation on the step/hand hold, that'll simplify my next Hurricane projects somewhat :D Dare say we may be lucky enough to see a few new decal options for this kit coming soon hopefully.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tonyot said:

Sorry I`ve been in hospital for a spinal op so couldn`t reply sooner,.......sorry I don`t have any better pohotos than the one you have provided,......I usuall drill holes and then insert a piece of plastic than round off the edges.

As for the head rest.......the one on ths Shuttleworth Hurri is correct as far as I can tell;

Cheers,

Tony 

Thank's Tony. Hope your recovery goes well.

Edited by Tbolt
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, tonyot said:

Sorry I`ve been in hospital for a spinal op so couldn`t reply sooner,.....

Good pic! As a fellow recovering back / leg sufferer (fortunately on an upwards curve over the last 18 months) may I add my wishes for the fullest possible recovery both in terms of mobility and comfort.

• Like 1

On 1/5/2017 at 8:20 PM, Tbolt said:

kem-2.jpg

Hello,

After making a fool of myself with the first answer; I’ve decided to have a closer look at the image and…

looking at the cradle the plane is about to be placed on and at the rear “spools” my educated guess is that those (the rear spools) could have been nothing more than a cylindrical bar (or most probably a tube) protruding out on each side of the fuselage, enough to sit on the rear arms of the cradle (hope you’ve got the sense of the explanation, obviously I’m not a native speaker).

I’m not on expert on (Sea) Hurricane, but assuming the spools on a CAM fighter were not different from the one used for carrier based planes it might be useful to have a look at the cable (catapult cable) used on the carriers; the geometry of the cable ends should provide useful hints with regards to the spool geometry (mating parts). Now if somebody can locate a good representation of the cable...

One additional remark related to the drawing (from “The Hawker Hurricane - A Comprehensive Guide / Second Edition / by R. A. Franks / SAM Publications / MDF no 22 / ISBN 978-1-906959-34-0”):

006_zpsemkf2rfv.jpg

in my opinion the drawing is misleading; the representation of the rear spools in the side view is not matching the one in the bottom view (technical drawing point of view).

Regards,

Iulian       

• Like 1

yes, they mount in the side

EMPIRE%20CAM%20HURRICANE.jpg

note in this shot there are supports going into hatches in wing and fuselage, which I've not seen details of.

the tube into the covered radiator is of note.

From

http://www.sixtant.net/2011/artigos.php?cat=ships-england-(d-e-f)-&sub=44ships&tag=29)empire-heath

I have seen really high resolution versions of the above shot as well.

PS there is a great set of walkround pictures of the Shuttleworth plane on here too ;)

Edited by Troy Smith
add details and links
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, mack said:

Hello,

After making a fool of myself with the first answer; I’ve decided to have a closer look at the image and…

looking at the cradle the plane is about to be placed on and at the rear “spools” my educated guess is that those (the rear spools) could have been nothing more than a cylindrical bar (or most probably a tube) protruding out on each side of the fuselage, enough to sit on the rear arms of the cradle (hope you’ve got the sense of the explanation, obviously I’m not a native speaker).

I’m not on expert on (Sea) Hurricane, but assuming the spools on a CAM fighter were not different from the one used for carrier based planes it might be useful to have a look at the cable (catapult cable) used on the carriers; the geometry of the cable ends should provide useful hints with regards to the spool geometry (mating parts). Now if somebody can locate a good representation of the cable...

One additional remark related to the drawing (from “The Hawker Hurricane - A Comprehensive Guide / Second Edition / by R. A. Franks / SAM Publications / MDF no 22 / ISBN 978-1-906959-34-0”):

006_zpsemkf2rfv.jpg

in my opinion the drawing is misleading; the representation of the rear spools in the side view is not matching the one in the bottom view (technical drawing point of view).

Regards,

Iulian       

They could be or they maybe more like the front spools, so more like a curved roller rather than just a plain cylinder. Hard to say without more pictures.

Edited by Tbolt

• 2 months later...

Source: https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/news/workbench/an-airborne-warrior-at-sea/

A ‘Hooked’ Hurricane

ImageB

The beautiful box artwork that will accompany the release of A05134 Hawker Sea Hurricane Mk.IB

Whilst the early catapult-launched Hurricane fighters allowed the vulnerable merchant convoys to better protect themselves against Luftwaffe maritime patrols and U-boat attacks, a dedicated carrier-based fighter would also be needed and would be developed along-side the ‘Hurricats’. The additional weight associated with a folding wing version of the Hurricane was discounted at a relatively early stage of development, but the navalised version of the fighter would have some distinct differences from the land based variant and the catapult fighters. Carrying the Royal Navy classification Sea Hurricane IB, the most significant modification was the inclusion of catapult spools and an A-frame arrestor hook to allow effective operation from British aircraft carriers. Some airframe strengthening was also required to allow the aircraft to better survive the rigors of carrier deck operation and a retaining spring was utilised on the arrestor hook, both to absorb some of the deceleration forces and to prevent the hook from bouncing up and damaging the fuselage of the fighter. A green light would illuminate in the cockpit when the arrestor hook was deployed and a deck landing could be attempted.

The Sea Hurricane IB was powered by an uprated variant of the Rolls Royce Merlin III engine, which drove a De Havilland propeller (slightly lighter than a Rotol unit) and spinner and helped to offset a shift in the aircraft's centre of gravity, as a result of the specific navalised equipment fit. The inability to fold its wings would have consequences regarding the stowage of these aircraft at sea, as few British carriers could store Sea Hurricanes below deck, with the majority of aircraft simply lashed to the deck, or even pushed precariously over the open sea, with the tail wheel supported on an outrigger strut. Despite these harsh operating conditions, the Sea Hurricane proved to be a robust and reliable naval fighter, with its large wing area and forgiving handling qualities making it particularly suitable for operation from the rolling deck of an aircraft carrier at sea. Crucially, when Britain needed it most, the Hurricane was ready for action and served at sea with distinction until more capable British and American naval fighters became available. Always in the shadow of the thoroughbred Spitfire, the Hurricane was in many ways the more important aircraft in this fighting double act.

The launch of the new 2017 Airfix range saw the announcement of several new models in the ever-popular 1/48th scale range, including a superb new Hawker Sea Hurricane Mk.IB (A05134), which includes parts and decals to allow modellers to build this important and extremely attractive version of Britain’s first monoplane fighter to exceed 300mph in level flight. We are pleased to bring you these computer rendered 3D images from the project which give some idea of what this beautiful new model will look like.

ImageEImageCImageD

With a rare example of the Hawker Sea Hurricane Mk.IB flying regularly at Airshows in the UK, this is certain to be a popular addition to the 1/48th scale range and marks the fully navalised version of this famous Hawker fighter and one of the most attractive aircraft to operate from Britain’s aircraft carriers during WWII. The kit will be supplied with the following decal options:

Hawker Sea Hurricane Mk.IB AF955/7-E, Aircraft flown by Lieutenant Richard John (Dickie) Cork (DSO & DSC), No.880 Naval Air Squadron, Fleet Air Arm, HMS Indomitable, ‘Operation Ironclad’, Diego Suarez, Madagascar, May 1942.

ImageF

Profile artwork featuring ‘Dickie’ Cork’s successful strafing Sea Hurricane Mk.IB

ImageG

Full scheme artwork for Sea Hurricane AF955

‘Operation Ironclad’ was a British campaign to take control of the East African island of Madagascar, which was occupied by Vichy French forces. The British military were worried that the island may be an intended base for Japanese naval forces attempting to become more active in the region and were determined to prevent this. Initial operations centred around the capture of the northern port of Diego Suarez and supported by air units from HMS Illustrious and Indomitable, the attack began on 5th May 1942 with an early morning raid against the town’s nearby Vichy airfield. Hawker Sea Hurricane Mk.IB AF955 from No.880 NAS on board HMS Indomitable was one of eight Fleet Air Arm fighters to attack the airfield, with Lieutenant ‘Dickie’ Cork claiming three Morane-Saulnier MS.406 fighters and four Potez 630 bombers destroyed during a series of devastating strafing runs. The following day, he would use this aircraft to shoot-up a gun battery to the south of the airfield, as British forces successfully landed on the Island and began to push south.

Richard John Cork was to become one of the most celebrated British naval aviators of the Second World War and an ace flying the Hawker Sea Hurricane. As one of the Fleet Air Arm Pilots to fight during the Battle of Britain, Cork transferred to No.242 Squadron, where he flew as wingman to Douglas Bader. On his return to the Royal Navy, he became the only FAA pilot to shoot down five enemy aircraft in one day and was the leading naval ace whilst flying the Hawker Hurricane. His final victory tally was nine aircraft destroyed, two shared, one probable, four damaged and seven destroyed on the ground, claims which saw him ranked as fifth on the table of Royal Navy aces of WWII.

Hawker Sea Hurricane Mk.IB, P2731/S7F, No.804 Naval Air Squadron, Fleet Air Arm, HMS Eagle, 1941.

ImageH

Profile artwork featuring the second Sea Hurricane option supplied with A05134

ImageJ

Full scheme artwork for Hawker Sea Hurricane Mk.IB P2731

The Hawker Sea Hurricane would see service in the Atlantic, Arctic, Indian and Mediterranean Oceans and prove to be a significant deterrent to long-ranging Luftwaffe maritime patrol aircraft and a valuable fighter asset in the war at sea. Wearing the standard Fleet Air Arm camouflage scheme illustrated above, these aircraft would work in conjunction with Fairey Fulmars to protect the vessels of the fleet and the more vulnerable Swordfish and Albacore strike aircraft deployed against enemy shipping.

HMS Eagle was lost to German U-boat attack on 11th August 1942, whilst involved in operations to re-supply the Island of Malta with new fighters to replace the ageing Gladiators and early Hurricanes struggling to stem the ever-increasing Axis air attacks. She was hit by four torpedoes and sank in less than ten minutes, taking her compliment of Sea Hurricanes with her.

Hawker Sea Hurricanes began to be withdrawn from front line units from the spring of 1943, as more effective folding wing naval fighters became available in greater numbers. As was the case with the Hurricanes of the Battle of Britain, their naval counterparts fought an often unheralded, yet crucial role in the air war at sea and yet again proved the effectiveness of this most famous fighter.

This new 1/48th scale Hawker Sea Hurricane Mk.IB kit is currently scheduled for a summer 2017 release, but please continue to check the Airfix website for the latest information.

V.P.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 2017-01-10 at 0:52 PM, Troy Smith said:

...note in this shot there are supports going into hatches in wing and fuselage, which I've not seen details of.

the tube into the covered radiator is of note.

The tubes going into the wings are interesting for sure. They're for heating the aircraft and guns.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

By NeOmega

Source: https://www.facebook.com/neomegaresin/posts/2566505093377533

WIP. By popular request, following on from the success of our Walrus Cat Section, we are now working on a CAM Ship Catapult section, to fit your 1/48th Sea Hurricane (without the arrestor hook BTW). Much work to do so no date for release yet, or price. Just keep watching this space!

59087067-2566499726711403-40223579907817

V.P.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Taking shape... And due soon!

Sources: 

https://www.neomega-resin.com/cam-ship-hurricat-catapult-section-997-p.asp

https://www.facebook.com/neomegaresin/posts/2721462887881752

1/48th scale CAM Ship rocket powered 'Hurricat' catapult section as fitted to merchant ships in WWII.  Designed for the 1/48th Airfix Hurricane kits, although other kits should fit also.  The kit is a generic version, and is based on several different catapults, as each one was unique to their own ship.  It makes an interesting display base for your Hurricane.
Features resin framework and details, one large and one smaller etch metal sheets with many components and details.  
Designed for experienced modelers only!

cam-ship-hurricat-catapult-section-2-997

cam-ship-hurricat-catapult-section-997-p

CAM.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 3