Experimenting with the hataka have glass grey!!!

It came in the us/usn 8 colour set.

The bottle label says 'sac bomber green'. I think that it may have the wrong label on it as I dont think bomber green is a dirty brown metallic grey? Anyway Here it is on the back of some sandpaper. Depending on the angle its light and dark. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

So I sprayed it on tailfin scrap, that already had some aluminium on it. (Ak extreme).

A few builds so far on the net have used a metallic base for this scheme. Anyway in the name of science I masked a strip off then did some black and grey Stynylrez either side. When it came to the have glass, The leading edge had the heaviest application to kill off the base colours, then the rest was thin enough to allow some variation to show through. 

Results:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

As this paint seems best in an even coat I will need to do the work beforehand rather than with post shading etc. So i think for best effect on the build I will paint and prime the plane in grey stynylrez, then do some fine pre shading and highlighting of panels with mr color type black and silver. 

Then a thin overall coat of the hataka paint to allow all the hard work to show through. 

• Like 5

welcome aboard Tony, another excited sole I see itching to get started!

A couple of nice choices you have there, the Have Glass F-16's sound really interesting, can't what to see this build.

Well good luck with the builds especially with the paint job as it seems to be a major part of the first scheme!

Some more great choices! (not that a Viper can have a bad one imho :)) I look forward to how you tackle the Have glass scheme, certainly is tricky to nail. Also another  N, great! :popcorn:

Your paint testing looks like great start, sure this will be a stunner.

I was messing about trying to get something similar once when I was planning on doing a Greek Blk 52 Have glass (haven't got round to it yet) and mixing Tamiya acrylics with Alclads gave some promising results for the differing appearance in various lighting but I look forward to seeing your paint mixes!

cheers,

David.

• Like 1

Made a start on the N. This is going to be the quicker of the two hopefully, will be canopy down so just using the decals for pit. Seat is very bland so going to be replaced. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Painted the the whole intake part in its camo color, next will run some tape around the inside of the lip then spray the interior shade. Hopefully should end up with a painted rim. 

This build is going to have minor updates. From a revell kit - seat, wheels and sidewinders as the Hasegawa parts are showing their age. Plus some resin GE engine parts from my tomcat project - burner face/tube and nozzle. 

Edited by Tony Oliver
  • Like 5

Are the caracal next Gen Vipers available in 72nd? I have only seen in 48th.

Was flirting with the idea with my Tamiya 1/72 CJ. Looking at OOB 52nd FW at Spang (goes with my USAFE project) at the moment though.

Looked at their facebook page, they recently returned from Op IR, still in traditional colours - no Have Glass V at  the 480th FS yet....

Edited by Tim Moff

15 hours ago, Tony Oliver said:

Yes mate, but only direct from themselves it seems at the minute, cant find any UK stoockists. 

Enzo matrix has sent the above mentioned scheme from his sheet, hopefully be here soon... 

Great stuff - couldn't even see them on their site! Look forward to the results.

Edit ..... seen on the site 72-019 - includes some overseas Vipers too. Cool. 

Edited by Tim Moff

N update:

Stynylrez spot priming on problem areas, seams, and filled holes & ejectior pin marks. 

If all is well then it will be final assembly and clean up before a proper priming sesh. 

Hoping to be doing the camo on the weekend 👍🏿

image.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks Rich. 

Want to get this pair out of the way sharpish, or may do them concurrently along with a he-111 thats to order (first commission build ever) which needs to be done by march as will be relocating back down south... and I need to get the hobbyboss tomcat saga rolling again... Not enough time!!!

image.jpg

Above - tam cj progress - filled the vent. Also removed molded details from cockpit tub ready for etch bits. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

N progress - 

Was busy last night, few joins to sort out. Should be making a start on camo Saturday-ish. 

Edited by Tony Oliver
Pic order
  • Like 3

N Coming along nicely...

Mr Hobby Aqueos colors. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Light grey first, just where needed. 

Then the dark gull followed by grey blue freehand with 0.2mm tamiya hg and levelling thinner. 

Masking for nose and wingtip pylons in neutral grey next, then some overall touchups. Also need to do leading edges of rear flying surfaces in 337 perhaps with a touch of blue added. 

• Like 6

Very nicely done!! The only thing I don't like with Mr Hobby colours is that quite a few of them are only Semi-gloss and not matt. It can give a very uneven finish. I wish the Tamiya range was as extensive, I just love there paints, pretty well impossible to stuff up when airbrushing. Though Mr Hobby paints do go on very nicely as well!

Really nice free hand work, I've not tried the levelling solution, but after seeing your work I may have to....well done!

2 hours ago, trickyrich said:

Very nicely done!! The only thing I don't like with Mr Hobby colours is that quite a few of them are only Semi-gloss and not matt. It can give a very uneven finish. I wish the Tamiya range was as extensive, I just love there paints, pretty well impossible to stuff up when airbrushing. Though Mr Hobby paints do go on very nicely as well!

Really nice free hand work, I've not tried the levelling solution, but after seeing your work I may have to....well done!

Thanks for the props! 

Thats quite true... 

The odd gloss ones I have can be the worse to spray, unless you use the levelling thinner and wet coats. 

The majority of mr hobby/color colours are satin and are quite good to work with once you get the hang of them... 

Couple reasons - the levelling thinner allows for finer work and a longer drying time so gives more time for them to even out, so they don't end up as patchy. Also then once detail painting is done you can normally decal onto the satin surface, or if you want to go full gloss with your preferred product then it doesn't take as many coats because the surface is smoother to start with. 

But 9/10 we want a patchy/faded beat up appearance so that feature of the paints can be used as an advantage...  

I do love tamiya too, but find them too matt sometimes, because for good looking decals you need to gloss prior, and it can take alot of gloss sometimes to smooth out rough matt tamiya paints.... 

• Like 2