'Dunkirk' film license by anyone?

aurora-7

Not wanting to strike a pessimistic note, but this seems to be a bit of an unlikely proposition...

Not really "mass appeal" enough to appeal to the kit-manufacturer's (it's not Transformers 14 or whatever they're up to now...)

I am now bracing myself for twenty film-based kits to be announced, by four different manufacturers!

Cheers.

Chris.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, aurora-7 said:

With the film Dunkirk coming this year, is any manufacturer packaging any of their products as licensed kits to the movie?

As Chris has said very unlikely,that said in 1/35 scale a lot of the equipment and figures are available quite a few by Tamiya

alone, I would love to see some British soft skin vehicles available but not holding my breath!

• 3 months later...

Who knows- Some kit company might make kits for it, probably Airfix, you know, because it's around the Battle of Britain and that's where mod of their models are set in.

also I don't see how people who watch or play mainstream media build models. Italerei sells tanks liscensed with a huge Multiplayer game called "World of Tanks"

Tha last movie I saw any manufacturer made kits for was Revell and the "Flight of the Intruder". There where lots of Tuskagee Mustangs out on the market after both movies concerning the Tuskagee Air Men but it wasn't any connections to the moviemakers. Why would we pay "licensemoney" for kits to any moviemaker concerning historical movies such as Dunkirk, Dambusters or even Flight of the Intruder... ? Many kits are allready out there. There are early Spitfire's, Hurricane's and Messerschmitt's available...

/André 

• Like 1

As Andre B stated you just dont need a licence, unless you are mentioing the actual movie on your model.  I do it all the time, made more money from Fury but stating factually this type of model tank was seen in the movie Fury, and it did the trick.

You cannot licence a Tiger Tank from the the War it is in the public domaine, and the events at Dunkirk are the same factual history in the public domaine.

If the movie is sucessful, and I know if features Spitfire, Stuka and 109 aircraft, they will sell,  all the buyer needs is a Spitfire from the period.

If say Aifix have aircraft, troops, ships and tanks from the period, all they need to do is put the work Dunkirk on the box and dont mention the movie.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I was about to ask if anyone had seen the movie yet(it opened here in the USA yesterday); was trying to find a forum to post this. This appears to be as good as any. Tiger Hobbieslimited, I believe one of the trailers also shows a He 111 in a bombing run; so, that particular aircraft could be labeled as well. For those guys here who like the vehicles(soft-skinned and other); it would be nice for kits to produced. But, yeah, don't hold your breath. As for the Bf 109s, they appear to be the Post-War Spanish built ones left over from the "Battle of Britain" movie(check trailer)! Well, in defense of the producers, there are not that many(if any) of the original Bf 109E series still in flying condition.

Again, has anyone seen it; and, how good, bad, and/or indifferent is it?

• Like 1

In my opinion, if this was going to happen (which would have been a good thing) we probably would have seen something advertised by now.

The normal screening life of a Feature Film shown at the cinemas is somewhere between 3-4 weeks these days (possibly less if not that successful).

This would be the maximum time to cash in on any movie related merchandise.

Airfix did flag a 'Dunkirk' themed banner about a week or so ago - https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/shop/themes/dunkirk-operation-dynamo.html, but that's probably all we will see.

I'm planning on seeing this film in a day or so, and fully expect to walk away with a new Airfix Ju87 about a day or two later!!

Cheers.. Dave

stevej60, I have read and heard, that as well. I just read a short article about a 97 year old survivor(RN) of 'Operation Dynamo'; who watched it at a cinema in Calgary(lives there now), Canada. It quoted him as being privileged to be able to watch it; and, remember his lost buddies. Dave, have you seen it; how was it? And, did you get the Airfix Ju 87?

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
3 hours ago, Spec7 said:

I saw an advert for the new Dunkirk spitfire from Airfix but when i followed it up its £50 for a 1/72  ...good luck with that then..

Does it have a stick instead of an engine?

Graham