AMT 1/48 A-20C Havoc

Welcome to my 2nd ever work in progress. This time it's the AMT A-20C Havoc. Extras include the Eduard etch set and True Details wheels and life raft.

Will be finishing it in RAF colours.

boston01_zps4hom1xob.jpg

A few etched parts added to the rear. Primed and then painted. Also can be seen is the .303 ammo case rack just above.

boston04_zpsqukmumuc.jpg

The ammo boxes were really fiddly so I only did half of them.

boston05_zps0m44qne3.jpg

Parts for the cockpit built up. I didn't use all the really small bits.

boston03_zpsuybfknm6.jpg

• Like 5

I will be watching with interest. Have thought about building this kit on several occasions but haven't done so yet. A20s seem underrepresented in our hobby, for some reason beyond human understanding. 

Glued in the cockpit and gunners station tonight. Filled the little rack with the ammo boxes and

put a couple more on the floor. The camera seems to show up the matt varnish I applied all blotchy. Doesn't look like that to the naked eye thankfully.

boston06_zpsk8rlf0fg.jpg

boston07_zpscyfytcyd.jpg

• Like 3

Got a bit more work done this weekend.  Fuselage sides together and the nose section fitted. This is and ok join, not brilliant just needed a bit of blending in and some filler.

boston08_zpsqq6qbxbm.jpg

The bomb bay is rather sparse so will model it closed. There is not a lot to hold the doors in place so added some card and spruce to bond them to. Will also use the space to fit some nose weight.

boston10_zpsrgy9dimy.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Progress has been slow lately. I've just been getting all the bits together for painting.

This is the True Details dingy that sits behind the pilot. Nicely molded and fits in perfect. Just a base coat of yellow here.

boston11_zpsnlkq03sf.jpg

Highlighted and now in place. Also the nose and rear canopies masked and added. I do like these Montex masks.

boston13_zpsoekjfyge.jpg

The wings are now ready to attach. The engines glue directly into the cowls which I didn't like so built up some spacers with plastic card and attached to the wings like so. About 8.5 - 9mm if anyone is interested.

boston12_zpsufw73abv.jpg

Also had to add some spruce to space out the wings to get a good alignment. Will attach them over the weekend and the painting can begin.

boston09_zpsv5sakhaj.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

It's been a while since I updated this but work has been going on. It is now all primed and painted. I used Vallejo Air for all 3 colours. I lightened the mix on the top as if the paint was sun bleached. The camera flash seems to show it up more than in reality. Not perfect but best i can do.

A coat of Klear then ready for decals. Not many of them so shouldn't take long.

boston14_zpsabdehrbq.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I seem to have taken ages on this but the end is in sight.

The True Detail wheels are a vast improvement. Painted here ready to be muddied up.

boston16_zpsvcilhgrc.jpg

A coat of Klear, decals applied and weathered. I had a go at creating some paint chipping using little blocks of foam packing. The material is a bit harder than sponge and easy to cut into shapes.

Looks way to bright for a dessert bird.

boston15_zpserjzfxhq.jpg

A Few coats of Humbrol matt acrylic and its just about done.

boston17_zps5ljkwbfn.jpg

• Like 5