1:48 English Electric Lightning F2

This is my forst foray back into modelling, after about an 18 year absence. Technincally I started this in 1999, but since all I did was paint the ejector seat black I don't think that counts a lot.

There are a few things "wrong" with this, but overall I'm quite happy. It nearly went in the bin after I applied the alclad finishes, because I really messed them up, and if you were to see the model in the flesh you would see a great deal of nasty imperfections. However, after I made some effort to recover the model, I ended up with some rough metal finishes, which in the end (from a distance and through the camera eye) have given the model a bit of a patina look, which is not entirely unpleasant.

So anyway - here it is, a 92 squadron F2 straight from the box - not a single aftermarket add on except paint.

I painted it using alclad metal finishes, and Vallejo acrylics.

Some weathering was applied using flory washes, their "grime" and "black" washes in this case. Decals are from the Airfix kit - and certainly not nearly as crisp as the cartograph decals found in a lot of kits now, but they went on alright with liberal application of micro set and micro sol.

IMG_0020%20Large_zpsmcv6rcgc.jpg

IMG_0038%20Large_zpswluqwsps.jpg

IMG_0048%20Large_zpssbyegk6w.jpg

IMG_0046%20Large_zps3sa42e75.jpg

IMG_0044%20Large_zpswaao9abt.jpg

IMG_0033%20Large_zpsfn2pltxk.jpg

IMG_0031%20Large_zpsiskldufn.jpg

IMG_0025%20Large_zpszxa3epho.jpg

IMG_0031%20Large_zpsiskldufn-XL.jpg

IMG_0046%20Large_zps3sa42e75-XL.jpg

Edited by propforward
Added a bit of info
  • Like 37

Wow, this is a really nice build mate. A top result for someone who didn't build anything for 18 years! At least on the pics, the finish looks just right. Hope to see more from you!

Cheers,

Michael

• Like 1

That looks pretty good from here: don't forget that these were working aeroplanes and wouldn't be bulled up on a daily basis (unless it was the Boss's jet) so some staining and discolouration is normal.  At least yours isn't weathered to the extent that it looks like a refugee from the station fire dump, unlike some that I've seen.

One peculiarity of the F. Mk. 2 (and 2A) is that with the lower guns fitted the missiles could not be carried.  The pylons were retained but the launch rails were removed and aerodynamic fairings fitted in their place.

• Like 1

Hello,

Thank for sharing the nice job, and that's a good kick for me to finish mine.

Did you have enjoyed the fitting of the parts ?

Happy new year !

Corsaircorp

• Like 1

1 hour ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello,

Thank for sharing the nice job, and that's a good kick for me to finish mine.

Did you have enjoyed the fitting of the parts ?

Happy new year !

Corsaircorp

Hi, Thanks!

I did enjoy this kit, and found that fit was pretty good mostly, with only a small amount of filler needed here and there. A little bit on the underside of the wing roots, around the front of the belly tank, some on the nose ring, and then a couple of sink marks on the spine and wings. Nothing major really, and it didn't take long to sort those things out at all. Nice kit to build - makes for a really decent Lightning I think.

• Like 1

I visited IWM Duxford today and had a good look at their F1 Lightning (XM135).  Your finish is SUPER!  To my mind its very realistic.  Happy New Year ...

Jonny

• Like 1

Lovely looking Lightning superb work :goodjob:

Guy

• Like 1

Thanks everybody, I really appreciate your comments. I have to admit, I'm pretty happy with it, and looking forward to my next Lightning. In  the meantime, I have a Spitfire and then a Beaufighter coming along - hope to finish the Spit tomorrow.

Thanks again - this is a great forum, I learned a number of things that I have been using on my model builds.