Zvezda Star Destroyer- A Work in Progress

On 03/01/2017 at 9:55 AM, directorcass said:

Got all the trench pieces installed. There are some "bare" spots that will need some greeblies added to them. Again, love the way this kit is going together. I need to order .5mm fiber optic this week. I'll start on the other super structure assemblies today and then start drilling holes. Engines will need to be drilled out as well. Here are some new pics and where she sits now.

Port side trench detail.

1z35k0k.jpg

2j1kdux.jpg

1236zo6.jpg

The inside edges of the starboard side trench. You'll have to drill thru both to run fiber.

a2x36h.jpg

Bare spots needing details.

wqq554.jpg

140hdz9.jpg

And the upper and lower hulls resting together.

29dgs41.jpg

Beautiful.

What scale, and what length is it.

• Like 1

Just replied to your thread. I have an Ani that is half built. After working on this I doubt I'll finish it now. Have you lit a model before? Its really is pretty straight forward with ships like this, unlike a Star Trek ship with all the blinking, strobbing, flashing and spinning lights!

It was a good weekend! I finished the fiber optics for the underside hangars. I got all three hull sub assemblies glued (nerve wracking as heck!), got black primer laid down, followed that with grey primer for paneling, masked my panels off, and got the first coat of white on!

6h3qbt.jpg

2uyhmcm.jpg

21o263k.jpg

o5df76.jpg

• Like 15

Final color coats applied. After priming in grey (seen above) I had masked off various panels. The model was shot with Duplicolor Universal White and the masks removed. This revealed grey primer panels. Obviously these are too dark as is, so another few light coats of white were applied to almost cover the grey panels. This is the same technique I used on my Revell snap kit. Closely monitoring the coverage I stopped just before the grey panels disappeared. This gave a nice and evenly controlled panel effect without a lot of masking and painting or the need for airbrushing. Once I clip the fibers, I'll post better shots of the paneling effect.

2r2lpgy.jpg
xcj1vs.jpg
28vuhyo.jpg
eitjl0.jpg
29f2j53.jpg

• Like 6

• 1 year later...

Just two years later and I got the same kit myself. Planning to light it myself I wonder if you used 0.25 or 0.5 mm fibre optics. Maybe I overread it (three or four times then), but could you let me know the fibre size you used?

Thanks

Rene

On ‎3‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 8:19 AM, Caerbannog said:

Just two years later and I got the same kit myself. Planning to light it myself I wonder if you used 0.25 or 0.5 mm fibre optics. Maybe I overread it (three or four times then), but could you let me know the fibre size you used?

Thanks

Rene

Hi Rene

The trick with making a realistic ISD when using lighting is to get the balance of optics right. Too few and it wont look right, and too many makes it difficult and blurry to look at when illuminated. This WIP shows the modeller (directorcass) getting it spot on correct. I built Randy Coopers 1/1500 ISD a year or so back and had to use over 850 optics to get an even balance but most of that was 1mm optics. I cannot give you an answer about lighting the Zvezda kit as I have not tried the challenge of lighting one of these kits, but the smaller the better - and be prepared to invest in a lot of drill bits.....

John

• Thanks 1