Zvezda Star Destroyer- A Work in Progress

very impressive work, I'm working on the same model and looking to yours I have a question for you.

If you install all the fiber optic cables on the kit before painting steps how you avoid to damaging the fiber optic spot or cover it with the paint?

I was thinking about planing all the holes on the kit without close the kit, paint it and then insert all the cables and close the kit.

P.S.

I will have the same problem of Vanoyen with the straight holes :(

very impressive work, I'm working on the same model and looking to yours I have a question for you.

If you install all the fiber optic cables on the kit before painting steps how you avoid to damaging the fiber optic spot or cover it with the paint?

I was thinking about planing all the holes on the kit without close the kit, paint it and then insert all the cables and close the kit.

P.S.

P.S.

Nice Imperial work going on there - a classic monster and such a relief that someone is at last making a decent sized mainstream kit of this old grey wedge at last - good on Zvezda.

Any chance you can get a picture up of the hull with a ruler alongside it to get a visual on the amount of wifey house space it takes up. I'm considering the Randy Cooper 37.5" monster but may have to settle for something a tad shorter if "her indoors" starts to impose display area restrictions..... nuff said - John

Thanks guys.

In answer to your question Maddux71, leave your fibers sticking out some, an inch or so. Build and paint your model. When done, just trim the fibers flush to the hull with side cutters or small scissors.

Gimme Shelter, the Zvezda is 23.6 inches long. I can take a picture tonight for you. In the meantime here is shot from the Zvezda office of an employee holding the finished kit.

2ihw17s.jpg

On ‎19‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 3:00 PM, Koshey said:

1481390125_DSC_1984.jpg

thanks for the scaling photos - I'm trying to get Randy Cooper to quote for his monster kit but maychoose to settle for this one as its not half decent in size compared to that ancient old MPC job

• Like 1

Update time!
Finished running all the fiber optics. And yes, I used all 160 feet of fiber with just trimmings left over. I got all my LEDs wired up and fiber cups installed. Below are some progress pictures.

207s07c.jpg
1zoxdhd.jpg
4q6436.jpg

Pre wired LEDs ready to install.
200p8ci.jpg
6z10rq.jpg

And a quick lighting test.
mrtvgj.jpg
f5awxt.jpg
2hybes5.jpg

• Like 9

• 3 weeks later...

Had to order more fiber and it finally came in. I wanted to share this, a new set of shield generators from Shapeways from my good friend Tony. I'll be adding these to either this build or my next one in May.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/N2WHGUDYS/star-destroyer-zvesda-1-2700-shield-generator
2uf9eg0.jpg

• Like 1

The pictures of the shield generators look great but I would prefer to see pictures of the actual item once it's been fabricated. Could you possibly post some pics once you get them? That would be great

this is all very interesting to me. And a bit daunting too. The last time I lit a kit was the old kit of the falcon before the cutaway version n that was with grain of wheat bulbs back in the late 70s early 80s when it first came out. So this is definitely a feed im gonna follow with interest and a note book.

think ok start small though. C-3po maybe. It's the. Fibre optics that scare me. But as the little green muppet said, do or do not , there is no try.

When did Kermit the Frog say that???

Anything new can be daunting. But that's how we grow as modelers, experimenting and trying something new. It's a learning curve. Pick a simple model to add a few fibers to. If you like the Zvezda, I'd grab the Revell lights and sound snap kit and give it a go on that first.