1/72 - Ilyushin Il-10 "Beast" by Fly - released - new masks set

Homebee

Odd for Fly to choose this.

The Il-10 has not been ignored in 72nd.  This, despite being far less well known than the Il-2 is much resembles.  I'd guess that Fly sees the KP kit as so long in tooth and so long out of production as thus providing an opportunity to cover with a newly rendered kitting.  Best of luck to them!

4 hours ago, Madoc said:

Odd for Fly to choose this.

The Il-10 has not been ignored in 72nd.  This, despite being far less well known than the Il-2 is much resembles.  I'd guess that Fly sees the KP kit as so long in tooth and so long out of production as thus providing an opportunity to cover with a newly rendered kitting.  Best of luck to them!

erm a Czech model company making a model of a type manufactured  and operated by the Czech Air Force post war - B)

• Like 1

Great news! So far the old KP has been the only game in the town with all its advantages and drawbacks. Also the mold showed some damage reflected in examples released from 80's onward.

The propeller and canopy always looked odd, so I am very happy about this announcement from Fly.

Edited by MarkoZG
  • Like 1

I like it! I don't think it's an odd choice at all. According to Gunston, nearly 5000 Il-10 and Il-10M were built in Russia, plus 1200 by Avia in Czechoslovakia as the B.33. The type saw service with not only Russia and Czechoslovakia but also Poland, Hungary, China, and North Korea. There was even one that was evaluated by the US, so American markings are another possibility! I'd call it an overdue choice, myself.

I've had it with trying to pretty up the old KP version - I'm buying at least a couple of the Fly kit whenever it's released.

John

• Like 3

John,

Yes, I found out those production numbers as well.  But, they happened after the war, were largely confined within the Soviet Union, didn't see much action aside from Korea, and the type looks almost indistinguishable from the IL-2 it replaced.

However, it's at least not yet another Me-109E or a Spitfire IV or a P-51D...

So, yes, best of luck to Fly and I hope this one brings them plenty of sales.  Hopefully it'll prove better than the KP rendering and I'll be able to offload my copy of that kit as a result.

• Like 2

On 3.01.2017 at 2:22 AM, Madoc said:

John,

Yes, I found out those production numbers as well.  But, they happened after the war, were largely confined within the Soviet Union, didn't see much action aside from Korea, and the type looks almost indistinguishable from the IL-2 it replaced.

AFAIK more than 300 Il-10s have been deployed all over the VVS attack regiments operating over Poland and East Germany starting with December 1944. There are dozens of photos featuring large Il-10 units on the airfields in central Poland (Kutno, Kolo, Konin, a.s.o.) in March-April 1945. Moreover several hundred have been delivered to the units in the Far East and these aircraft were widely used during the three-week Soviet offensive against the Japanese in Manchuria and Korea. Thus - contrary to belief popular in the Western World - the Il-10 is the truly WW2 warbird. According to the Russian sources some 1800 have been manufactured before the VJ Day.

And the second matter - there's NO common part shared by the Il-2 and Il-10. What they are similar for is just the same designer/manufacturer, the same task and similar (though not the same) Mikulin V-12 engine of 2850 CID. For me Fairey Battle and Fulmar (also sharing the same Merlin powerplant) look more "indistinguishable" from each other than the Hellcat/Thunderbolt-sized (yes, smaller then Firefly) Il-10 and its Helldiver/Barracuda-sized famous predecessor.

Cheers

Michael

Edited by KRK4m
Russian info on wartime production added
  • Like 2

since when has being a cold-war type stopped modellers wanting to build a kit?!?! No one would say a DH Vampire wasn't worth modelling because it missed WWII...

The service record for the IL-10 is probably more auspicious than a lot of early post-war types...

Combat service in Europe 1945, Manchuria 1945, Korea 1950, South China Sea 1955. Decal options for Russia, N.Korea, China, Czechoslovakia, Hungary, Poland, Romania, Bulgaria...even Yemen....

Looking forward to this kit.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

While waiting eagerly for the decent Il-10 in 72nd scale I still don't feel sure whether THIS is the definitive one :(

I don't know what drawings is this kit based on, but the real thing (for last 40 days I can touch it every day) has much beefier nose and the windscreen doesn't look so high.

Remember that the cowling must embrace the 2850 CID (yes - more than DB603 or Sabre) Mikulin AM-42 thus the nose cannot be so slim like in 1650 CID-powered Mustang or Spitfire... I would rather be wrong, however :) But old KzP kit also had cowling upper outline about a milimetre too low.                                                  Lietadlo_Avia_B-33_(Ilyushin_Il-10)_Nizn

Cheers

Michael

Edited by KRK4m
photo added
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, KRK4m said:

While waiting eagerly for the decent Il-10 in 72nd scale I still don't feel sure whether THIS is the definitive one :(

I don't know what drawings is this kit based on, but the real thing (for last 40 days I can touch it every day) has much beefier nose and the windscreen doesn't look so high.

Remember that the cowling must embrace the 2850 CID (yes - more than DB603 or Sabre) Mikulin AM-42 thus the nose cannot be so slim like in 1650 CID-powered Mustang or Spitfire... I would rather be wrong, however :) But old KzP kit also had cowling upper outline about a milimetre too low.                                                  Lietadlo_Avia_B-33_(Ilyushin_Il-10)_Nizn

Cheers

Michael

A really nice, large-scale model you've posted.

But the modeller forgot to remove the paint-masks from the cockpit, as it seems ... !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A bit strange - taking into account that Fly is a Czech company and some Avia build licenced Il10 are existing in Czech  like that one on monument  ... I do hope that dimensions are OK and the problem is only with some photo distortion.. Unpainted canopy looks a bit differently (higher) then painted.

Anyway one Il-10 is there in Krakow's Museum of Aviation. I think that when model will come we can check dimensions with the real thing in museum.  

On 25/08/2017 at 7:50 PM, Roman Schilhart said:

A really nice, large-scale model you've posted.

But the modeller forgot to remove the paint-masks from the cockpit, as it seems ... !

I reckon he might also have overdone the weighted tyre look, maybe a little too much off the bottoms.

;):D

Steve.

• Like 2

Indeed there are big differences in drawings:Znalezione obrazy dla zapytania iljuszyn il-10

Znalezione obrazy dla zapytania iljuszyn il-10

Znalezione obrazy dla zapytania iljuszyn il-10

Iljuszyn Ił-10, plany modelarskie. (Źródło: Modelarz nr 1/1958).

A here photo of machine in Krakow's  Museum

8.+Avia-B33_Il10.JPG

Especially canopy/nose proportions, shape of tailplane and wingtips.

{all figures taken from public domain of Internet}

Cheers

J-W

• Like 2

Hey, 

you attached drawings of different airplane, that is IL-10M. Well, LiftHere! has that one in plans. IL-10M is larger, with bigger engine and completely different wings. 

Oh, now I have lost  the advantage of working in secrecy... 

I hope this one would be ready during winter... 

• Like 2