1/96 Canberra. Yes, 1/96!

This is my first WIP and it is going to be pic-heavy. The subject isn't a modern hightech model kit. In fact, it is almost as old as some of the real Canberras. I am going to build it for the most part OOB, except for a few details. A short in-box review can be found here:

The assembly of the wings and the fuselage had been a pretty straightforward affair. The slit for the display stand was closed with a piece of styrene. And the intake cones were cut off and saved for later. The rest of the parts were simply glued together - without any nasty surprises.

The tailplanes, however, were angled in a Beechcraft Bonanza-style. So while I thought that I can get away with some careful bending of the tabs in hot water, I was rewarded with a vicious *Crack!*. Twice.:banghead: Well done, Trencher!

I finally managed to get the tailplanes in the right angle by drilling and pinning them with silver wire.

After that, I've sanded off the fool marks and gave it a first shot of primer to see, where some further filling and sanding was required. Unfortunately, the rattle can was a little bit too cold and the result was unsatisfactory. But that's nothing what some careful wet sanding can't remedy.

20170101_134526_zpsibvzhsay.jpg

Apparently, the amount of filler needed didn't seem to be much.

20170101_134632_zpsmoz1g5li.jpg

The bomb bay door has to be engraved.

So on to the cockpit. I opened the upper half by drilling, cutting and sanding. A first dry-fit with the canopy showed that the canopy was very brittle. So it has to be handled with care.

20170101_134805_zps1hoqvzu4.jpg

The missing window needs to be engraved, too.

20170101_134835_zpsnyrnmqee.jpg

20170101_134851_zpsq8kdecqm.jpg

Despite the odd look, the visibility of the canopy is quite good.

20170101_134743_zps1dj8jkbi.jpg

20170101_135043_zpsjdqjst1h.jpg

Well I couldn't resist...

20170101_135104_zps9bcwyk9s.jpg

I think, this will turn out into a nice little beauty. When completed.

Edited by Trencher
  • Like 3