RAF Wessex, RN Lynx & Army Gazelle

Happy New Year everyone,

I spent most of my schooldays on the edge of Salisbury Plain where Wessex, Lynx and Gazelle helicopters were almost a daily sight. I opted to model one from each of the main services in 1/72 scale. All are out of the box (apart from seat belts), brush painted but spray varnished. Need more practice on my masking! They were great fun to do.

• RAF Wessex (Italeri) - XS517was scrapped in 2002 :(
  • RN Lynx (Hobby Boss) - XZ238 was last believed in storage at White Waltham <_<
  • Army Gazelle (Airfix) - XW844 is preserved at Fleetlands :)

Hope you like

WLG%20side_zpskilqlejg.jpg

WLQ_zpslfkwphtk.jpg

W%203%20QF_zpsum7tqd22.jpg

W%20F2Q_zpsxuexumkx.jpg

G%20Side_zpsmpx7ole2.jpg

Lynx%2033_zps0czbzpaa.jpg

WLG%20rQ_zpsgfwdlr0o.jpg

WL%20front_zpst6k6dhe7.jpg

WG%20Side_zps1yfbnbuj.jpg

wlg%20top_zpsadpjdxyw.jpg

• Like 22

A great little collection.  There's something really appealing about the Wessex.  I've got four in the stash, all different versions, so I hope at least one of them turns out as good as yours (all mine are RN variants however). 

• Like 1

I like the RN Lynx but the other 2 types are good. Like you, I brush paint with can rattling during the better weather but for the dayglo I generally apply an undercoat of white and a couple of coats of Humbrol 209 which I find is OK. Keep up the great work and happy modelling in 2017. Best wishes.

albamac:viking:.......(frustrated Norseman) 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Pat C said:

Excellent work! Brush painting red is horrible but you would never have known that your Lynx was not airbrushed. What paint did you use?

pat

Thanks Pat. Your Puma is brilliant- I'm going to have to track one down now. Quite inspiring

The red is Humbrol 19 and there was minimal effing and jeffing (which also increases with the smaller the scale).

Now when it comes to painting yellow..... aaarrrrrrghhhh!!!!!........

Edited by Pinback
typo
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, chrish said:

Nice combination of helos. Can I ask how do u get such a great finish by hand-brush painting?

Thanks Chrish- Hope its not too cold where you are.:)

I always use enamel but that's just me. I also always thin the paints (which may mean three coats plus ) and leave 24 hours between each coat. The Wessex camouflage took a week.

Good clean brushes and a clean surface are a must. 

Its not all rosy. My masking is a bit pants and at the moment I am trying to paint the wings and cowling of a Boeing P-12E yellow and its driving me nuts!  :wall:

One day I will get an airbrush!

Edited by Pinback
typo

hi pinback. It's so cold in OH that I cant airbrush in my garage. Hence, my question about hand-brushing. In the past, I've tried Vallejo acrylic with W&N flow improver, but with mixed results. Good luck with the P-12!

• Like 1