1/48th Polish F-16CJ - 2015 Tiger Meet - Completed

Well she finally here, seems like ages since I proposed this GB!

Ok after a few minor issues I think I have this one all sorted….even if I have a complete F-16 now spare, more on that one later.

For this build I plan to build a Polish F-16CJ in 2015 Tiger Meet colours….well Grey in a tiger pattern! I’ll be using Tamiya’s lovely F-16 for this build,

DSCF4033_zpsz72kznxd.jpg

…and yes I know this one is a Block 50 and I need a Block 52, that’s why I now have a second one (and I know I should have just built the second one instead….but that would be too easy for me!).

I need a few bits to turn it into a Polish F-16 so it gets Wolfpack’s Dragchute set.

DSCF4305_zpsqxbe5obv.jpg

Plus while I’m at it a new resin cockpit and exhaust from Aries.

DSCF4036_zpst9khur4m.jpg

There was a bit of a mix up when I ordered Tiger Meet scheme set, I wanted the masks but were sent the decals. I then received the masks once the supplier was advised of the error. The decals are lovely but I really want to paint the scheme, it’ll look that much better. Like my “Splinter” MiG-21 this will require painting the reverse of usual painting! More of that when the time comes.

DSCF4040_zpswl1tfms5.jpg

DSCF4037_zpsa3bqlhjf.jpg

DSCF4039_zpsvpr9tl5x.jpg

Plus I now have a complete spare F-16, so what will I do with it??? :wicked:  A Whiff! It’s not allowed in the build so there is a thread running in the WhatIf section….though there may be the occasional photo-bomb! :whistle:

I’ll be away for the start of this GB but can’t want to start, for a change I have an almost empty bench!

• Like 10

thanks guy's, hopefully it should be a nice simple build.

6 hours ago, Arniec said:

That looks lovely. Hope all will go well with the build. I hope that the masks will work. :popcorn:

Cheers,

I hope so too, I just ha a massive failure with "Gold Member"!!! It's now permanently on the shealf of doom! 

• Like 1

thanks, I have plans for more Tiger Meet aircraft in the future.

I had a play yesterday with my Whiffy F-16CK, gee what a nice model the Tamiya one is and it just falls together! I've done heaps on that one already but I haven't taken any photos of it, but I'll update that thread (on the WhatIf page) when I get back from work.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well after nearly a week following everyone else’s builds I finally get to start this one.

Actually to help this build I started the whiffy build before I went back to work, so this gave me an idea of what I’m in for!

Ok to start with because of my incompetence I bought a Block 50 model and I needed a Block 52 model! So I bought a Block 52 model to pinch the bits out of to build a Block 52 model! Go figure! Why didn’t I just swap models……. Don’t ask!

Anyway these are the bits I needed

DSCF4313_zps1wcjzcgn.jpg

…the left overs are going into the Whiffy model.

Right, there are going to be some resin bits in this build, the Dragchute from Wolfpack plus a resin cockpit and tail pipe from Aries. These were first given a nice bath in Hypo and water.

DSCF4314_zpsgsg6mfbg.jpg

The new cockpit was the first job of the day……….and I now wonder why I bothered!

To get the cockpit to fit I needed to remove quite a bit of the original model. All the instruction said to do was to remove the front section of the cockpit than was actually a separate part all together….nothing about removing the rear section of the cockpit at all!

DSCF4315_zpsiurbm0th.jpg

DSCF4316_zps1ihawp3r.jpg

I eventually sort of got it to fit but ended up removing too much material! There’ a lot more work needed to fit he new cockpit, but I sort of need to finish it first!  I really do hate AM cockpits and wonder why I keep using them!!!

DSCF4317_zpswkpyp4yf.jpg

Tamiya cockpit vs

DSCF4318_zpsicsltzpe.jpg

Aires, as you can see I ended up removing a bit too much material behind the seat! It still doesn't quite fit, but I need to finish the cockpit tub before I do the final fitting.  

One of the jobs was to fit the mounts for the rudder, and for some unknown reason Tamiya has changed the way the fit together, from screws to being glued in place!

DSCF4319_zps43zyf7hb.jpg

Needless to say I did glue them in place as well.

The Polish aircraft has a tail mounted brake chute that is not supplied in any Tamiya kit. So Wolfpack to the rescue….well not quite! It’s just a bit too small, both in width and height! So what to do about this….do I make a new one or modify the existing one?

DSCF4320_zpsjd1wbnjc.jpg

Well I chose the not quite so simple option. The new resin section is a bit small in height and depth, compared to the kit part it’s to mount to. 

DSCF4321_zpshfecgva0.jpg

So the easiest way to fix this was to cut the resin part along it main axis and add a fifer to make it wide enough to match the original tail section. It actually now looks the part with just a tiny bit of filler required along one join line.

DSCF4322_zpsn4ycabgy.jpg

I need to add a bit of plastic card to the bottom of the new brake chute section.

DSCF4323_zpsaubzs1yo.jpg

I filled the ejector marks in the main wheel well then painted it grey along with the cockpit parts The wheel wells will be painted white, doing it this way will help add some depth when it’s painted.

DSCF4324_zpsitfkm8fl.jpg

Plus I started building up some of the pylons and drop tanks, even though they will not be used on this build, they’ll go on the F-16JK build.

Hopefully today I'll get the cockpit completed, plus all the bits needed to be so I can close un the fuselage.

• Like 7

7 hours ago, trickyrich said:

Well after nearly a week following everyone else’s builds I finally get to start this one.

Actually to help this build I started the whiffy build before I went back to work, so this gave me an idea of what I’m in for!

Ok to start with because of my incompetence I bought a Block 50 model and I needed a Block 52 model! So I bought a Block 52 model to pinch the bits out of to build a Block 52 model! Go figure! Why didn’t I just swap models……. Don’t ask!

Anyway these are the bits I needed

DSCF4313_zps1wcjzcgn.jpg

…the left overs are going into the Whiffy model.

Right, there are going to be some resin bits in this build, the Dragchute from Wolfpack plus a resin cockpit and tail pipe from Aries. These were first given a nice bath in Hypo and water.

DSCF4314_zpsgsg6mfbg.jpg

The new cockpit was the first job of the day……….and I now wonder why I bothered!

To get the cockpit to fit I needed to remove quite a bit of the original model. All the instruction said to do was to remove the front section of the cockpit than was actually a separate part all together….nothing about removing the rear section of the cockpit at all!

DSCF4315_zpsiurbm0th.jpg

DSCF4316_zps1ihawp3r.jpg

I eventually sort of got it to fit but ended up removing too much material! There’ a lot more work needed to fit he new cockpit, but I sort of need to finish it first!  I really do hate AM cockpits and wonder why I keep using them!!!

DSCF4317_zpswkpyp4yf.jpg

Tamiya cockpit vs

DSCF4318_zpsicsltzpe.jpg

Aires, as you can see I ended up removing a bit too much material behind the seat! It still doesn't quite fit, but I need to finish the cockpit tub before I do the final fitting.  

One of the jobs was to fit the mounts for the rudder, and for some unknown reason Tamiya has changed the way the fit together, from screws to being glued in place!

Needless to say I did glue them in place as well.

The Polish aircraft has a tail mounted brake chute that is not supplied in any Tamiya kit. So Wolfpack to the rescue….well not quite! It’s just a bit too small, both in width and height! So what to do about this….do I make a new one or modify the existing one?

DSCF4320_zpsjd1wbnjc.jpg

EEeeeck!

The contours of the Aires cockpit don't really match the aft turtle deck very well. I am sure the benefit of all that great detail will be worthwhile in the long run but that fit is terrible (note - I am not saying any of it was your fault!) and the WP drag chute housing was also terrible. Interestingly, the resin fits the Hasegawa kit tail reasonably well, just a couple of filler swipes needed to match the contours.

A great start Rick, or at least a great recovery. I am sure this will build into something impressive, I will be watching for sure,

cheers,

Pappy

Very nice Start Rich, this will turn out fantastic! IIRC the Aires tub was designed or the Hase kit orginally, then Aires simply made it a little longer to 'fit' the Tamiya kit. Seems to be a theme for a few Aires bits now days saying specially for XYZ kit but it is simply just a different label with the same resin inside! 

cheers

David.

Well stepping back from the future...yesterday was a busy day but I don’t think I have a lot to show for it….

First up were the cockpits, I’m doing both together as it much easier that way. I wanted some nice clean line so for something different I mashed al; the wee panels before painting them black.

DSCF4326_zpswl0tqyix.jpg

Time consuming but they came out near perfect.

DSCF4327_zpsyyhvap8o.jpg

Ok I won’t bore you with the next part but it forever to paint, here it is glossed ready for the final detailing today.

DSCF4330_zpswaujjbtv.jpg

Here’s the two cockpits together, quite a bit of work and still some to go but they do look great, as mentioned just the final detailing to go.

DSCF4336_zpssxxujk7e.jpg

Ok the intakes were next, trying to remove that join is a right pain! Am slowly getting there, the joins on the big mouth have come out much better.

DSCF4337_zpslhrvj19t.jpg

The wheel wells have been give a coat of white and then a clear coat. It’s hard to tell with the photos (sorry they’re not that good) but the white now has plenty of depth to it. The bottom unit is for this build.

DSCF4338_zpshnhvkjog.jpg

I’ve started work on the tail pipes, I just need to remember the petals are carbon fibre! I may try the Tamiya/Alclad trick for these! Tamiya Black and Alclad Aluminum mix to give them that slight metallic sheen new carbon fibre has, before weathering them up…..well that’s sort of the plan…….

DSCF4340_zps3borhcuu.jpg

And I know this is not part of the build……..

This is my first commission, I'm building it for my son, he works on these. To convert a Eurocopter HAP Tigre into an Australian ARH-1 Tiger. There’s not a lot of work but there are some noticeable differences. I also hope to build a resin conversion kit for it at the same time.

DSCF4342_zpsjxkhma4k.jpg

She’s a big sucker, I’ve almost sat in one but have never seen it beside something else!

DSCF4344_zpsjmblzwdo.jpg

• Like 7

Those are coming along very well Rich. You have certainly done justice to the resin cockpits.

Is the Tigre the Revell kit? The resin conversion kit for the Tigre, would those be the inlet dust filters?

It is very striking how close the parts breakdown and even the individual parts of the Kinetic F-16's resemble the Tamiya kit. A cynical person would suggest that they copied, but luckily I am not cynical!

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 1

thanks.

the Tiger is from Italeri, I don't know who else turns out one in 1/48th. Yes it'll need new dust intakes and electronics box under the tail, plus i need to modify the the gun area, ours is quite different to the HAP version. as i mentioned i hope to produce a conversion kit for this model....hopefully!

If you going to copy an F-16 model you'd be silly not to use the Tamiya version, so it wouldn't surprise me at all!

14 hours ago, trickyrich said:

yeah well I was scared of Friday the 13th.:door:

Plus you know everyone else is behind us Aussies! :bleh: 

That is so 2016.:D

I like what I see, but you are going fast. Do you need to be at another GB?!:whistle:

Cheers,

2 hours ago, Arniec said:

I like what I see, but you are going fast. Do you need to be at another GB?!:whistle:

Cheers,

No but there is the real possibility I may be on a slow boat form China soon...well a Gas Platform from Korea to Oz for 12 weeks! So need to make sure I get these projects done smartly....plus i have Whiffy's in the wind...so to speak! :D

and I choose to ignore the 2016 comment..... :bleh:

• Like 1

On 14/01/2017 at 9:59 PM, Arniec said:

Cheers,

No but there is the real possibility I may be on a slow boat form China soon...well a Gas Platform from Korea to Oz for 12 weeks! So need to make sure I get these projects done smartly....plus i have Whiffy's in the wind...so to speak! :D

thanks guys, I finally managed to get Photobucket to behave :whip:  just before I went to bed last night, so will get an update out tonight.

Good news on the modelling front I won't be going away for 12 weeks, just 4 weeks in April/May. Will be working on an off-shore Gas Platform off the north west coast of Aust. near Broome. Will be a bit exciting...though did miss on the 7 week tow from Korea...now that would have been cool!

• Like 1