1/700 HMAS Stirling

Morning all and happy new year to everybody. Been pretty quiet here, hope everybody is well. 

This is a second attempt at a project I tried to do a couple of years ago. 

The first attempt is posted here

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234959444-2020s-ran-at-fleet-base-west-1700/&

Even though the first attempt was  an expensive failure the project has arroused a fair bit of interest in modern RAN ships.

Orange Hobby have modified thier Juan Carlos to the RANs LHDs plus released better Collins class subs 

Dodo Models have produced the Armidales and are due to release the Anzacs in both pre and post upgrade 

plus Custom Hobby Decals are going to be releasing a range of RAN decals covering several classes of ships. 

Exciting times. 

My skill set has improved as well after building a couple of version of the RANs patrol boat base in Darwin. 

The layout for the second FBW base is bigger as I have tried to get the 2nd wharf in plus the base main mast as well. 

Heres the Google Earth image I am using 

fbw2_zpshbk9navc.jpg

So I am getting a bit confused with the new BM layout posted that early.

This is a series of pics showing the base being built up to where its at now.

both_zpsvvzlri1k.jpg

Thats the old base with the frame for the new one. the new measures 93cm by 56cm

And the basic measurents worked out for the land areas 

o2_zpsai2gwesf.jpg

The shape for the land areas built up, I also had to paint the water colour so it felt like I was working on a harbour instead of a bad carpentry project.

1_zpse0pyxhah.jpg

Using plastic stock to get the gutters, footpaths etc 

2_zpsdhpiikdk.jpg

road colour painted 

1_zpsaqoyoe7n.jpg

And masked for painting the concrete areas 

3_zpsj64zkclz.jpg

masking off and ready for the grassy dirt areas

5_zpsqr0sqoeu.jpg

And how its looking now with some grass 

1_zps35c2c0hx.jpg

2_zpslfjrmm0f.jpg

For the ships I am planning on having 

the LHD HMAS Adelaide

AWD HMAS Hobart 

FFG HMAS Melbourne (one little hiccup is I am more than half \way through building mine and have her painted in the RANS storm grey but she has recently been repainted in the new Haze Grey and since I am going to have her sitting with the AWD I have to decide whether to repaint mine)

I will also have 3 or four of the Dodos Anzacs when they come out. They are the reason why I decided to do the diorama bigger over the last one. 

And I will have 4 or 5 Collins class subs(I only have 2 so far) 

Because the subs are not water line I have to get a bit creative with how I display them. Thats where I got in trouble last time. 

Out of interest the first attempt cost me nearly $500 to setup for the water. which I have to throw away.

For this second attempt I am using clear resin and its going to cost me all up under $200 to set up and its a larger base 

Lessons learned.

This last pic shows the area that will be filled with resin for the water. it will come up level with the frame top edge. (its a 7mm depth)

12_zpseoc7fzhd.jpg

And thats where its at. Pretty happy with how its come together. I was a bit out with my measurements so had to improvise a bit but its close enough.

Thanks for looking :)

cheers

Callum 

• Like 5

Using clear resin to get depth of water. 

So the RANS website has had a few really cool pics showing how I can display the subs with the underwater hull areas visible. doing this has been a major headache but I think I have it sorted now. 

2_zpsm4snsgyo.png

and from a couple of weeks ago  images showing five Collins birthed. Something that doesn't happen very often. love the detail in these shots with all the gangways and mooring lines etc. I am so setting up something like this with mine. 

15589796_387390251604350_444324503995463 

15578886_387390334937675_229004420547900

So after my first failure trying to get water at depth, I have been very nervous trying it again with clear resin. But another series of pics on the Navys Facebook page inspired me to try a little diorama as a practice run for using it.

14937314_365068003836575_272941120583575

14925796_1770531036530685_85466700513089

Having a  spare Collins and Taipan I thought I would have a go.

2_zpsw2yaioao.jpg

The white thing is a plasitc tube covered in cotton wool. The first photo of the chopper and sub show the wake being more under water with the lighter blue tinge instead of more white with the prop closer to the surface. looks crap now but wait for it.

2_zpsywbsmpu0.jpg

and the resin poured and hard as a rock. I love this stuff. theres a couple of airbubbles but thats only because I tried to move it before it dried.

1_zpsghxsnr2b.jpg

1_zpsvvd1as0c.jpg

Then the surface is spray with these clear paints. I love these as well. Mixed together and thinned down with some clear coat they make a great water colour. I even mixed a little into the resin. But that is pretty close to what I want for FBW

1_zpslsjkluus.jpg

To finish it off I have added a bit of white paint to acryilic gel medium for the white water areas

then some  acrylic gel with out white for the rest of the surface water. 

Couple of dudes chopper attached to the thinnest bit of brass I could find that would hold the thing up and bobs your unlce (or auntie in this day and age )

4_zps125sqdxq.jpg

3_zpsgxkmel24.jpg

10_zpsj7qfpawv.jpg

I tried to use cotton wool for the mist from the rotors but it didn't work out too well. should have left it off.

Other than that I am really happy and relieved this has worked out and as I said I love clear resin now and can't wait to get it done on the FBW dio.

I know the sub and chopper are a bit off topic but they are related. 

Cheers 

Callum

• Like 11

Thanks Molly and Rob, its a big project but I am hoping that my little projects from last year have now given me enough practice to be able to do this without to many issues or unknowns, as well as the sub and chopper dio to practice with clear resin, I have done a couple of dios of a section section of the patrol boat base up in Darwin with the Dodo Models Armidales. Gave me a chance to have a play at all the land areas like trees and grass and buildings etc without it being too complex. 

The first version I posted in RFI a while back but this is the second version which I think looks a lot better in layout being bigger and the boats in the center.

10_zpsuslzuimu.jpg

1_zpsv4p4hjrq.jpg

The second one was a commission, I

• Like 2

I keep pressing a key thats making me post early 

to continue...... I ended up raiding mine for some of the parts to get this finished as it was getting picked up earlier than intended. 

Heres how it finished up looking in its display case. Really happy with how it all finished up and I am very much hoping for the same results with FBW.

2_zpsagkq7z3o.jpg

Having 8 Armidales in the house at the same time was pretty cool I couldn't help having a bit of fun on my dio 

d5_zpssiacozyp.jpg

So thats what I have been doing to prepare myself for this little adventure. 

20091109ran8440972_080c2_zpsxzkow54z.jpg

So thats it for now, Hopefully more soon  

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

That is some small scale modelling at its best.

Your experiment with the clear water and its colouring is so spot -on and I think it has really enhanced the appearance of the project overall.

Good luck with the bigger scheme . . . 

Ian

• Like 1

Thanks guys,

Holden 05, I have my Anzacs on the way, actually there are 16 of the buggers coming. Got some commission work to do. Hanging out to get them though. Will have 4 post mods on this Diorama though. 

Ian, Thanks for the kind words. 

Had a bit of a setback, I put the subs in place and started pouring the resin. Was looking really good till I realized 3 of the subs were sitting too deep in the water. I still had a another layer of resin to add and by the time I did that the water level would have pretty much covered the decks of the subs looking very wrong.4_zpsw0yehzuo.jpg

2_zpszgnsnx2e.jpg

1_zpsxtgsklhl.jpg

3_zpsxlzfti4o.jpg

Not sure what happened but all I could do to fix it was pull the resin out and start again. Got to blow off a bit of frustration taking to it with a hammer.

1_zpsjdiswuz0.jpg

So I've just had new subs arrive and more resin and just have to get it all back together again now. Hopefully I get it right this time.

Fingers crossed 

Thanks for looking and more to come soon 

• Like 2

Well redid the resin and finally got it right. Pretty happy how the water is looking. Its not finished yet still needs more colour on the surface then acrylic gel medium for the wave motion but I can't add that till all the ships are finished and ready to attach to the base. 

My Anzacs have arrived as well and I have already started the first one. Gee they are nice little kits. Well done to Dodo Models. 

3_zpsirks03f2.jpg

1_zpsdwtovsci.jpg

2_zpsi5cf4dod.jpg

4_zps7jdrkfsm.jpg

So Thanks for looking and more to come soon

Cheers Callum

• Like 3

Hi Callum,

I am going to watch your build of the Dodo Models ANZAC very carefully. I recently acquired one of these in the pre ASMD format with the intention to build one of the RNZN boats. I wholeheartedly agree these are nice little kits although unfortunately for me the kit lacks decals for the New Zealand ships which is a pity.

Keep up the good work, it is inspirational :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Hi guys and thanks for the comments, glad you like it. 

Paul E , there have been a few folk wanting to do the Kiwi Anzacs. As far as I can remember you leave off the observation post on the flight deck and they don't have the same system for landing the choppers and adding Phalanx. I haven't looked but I think the style of hull numbers are the same as RN I could be wrong though. Hawk graphics do the kiwi bird emblem for the funnels but the company   are hard/ impossible to get hold of these days. 

Pre mod can be built straight out of the box but the post mod kit needs a bit of work. Mainly the wall around the hanger door. there is some differences between the pre and postmod ships. I have to go back and fix mine up as I have only just really clicked onto just what the differences are even though they have been staring me in the face for a few years now. 

So far I have added the flight deck, ladders and a few other pe bits and given the hull a paint job and started with the decals. once the area around the hanger door is fixed I can finish the decals and then start fitting her out. One area I had trouble with was the funnel vents. Gee they are small.

3_zps76vxlaau.jpg

1_zpsqlws888o.jpg

2_zpsrqncvxdc.jpg

12_zpsxo2uqn23.jpg

13_zpsrwfxmhku.jpg

I love the fact that there is even windscreen wipers for the bridge windows molded on. I wish I could actually paint them though 

But thanks for looking and more to come soon 

Have a great weekend

Cheers

Callum