1/32 - North American P-51D Mustang by Revell - released - Piper Enforcer conv. set by Halberd Models & P-51B/C conv. set by Laminar Flow Design

Homebee

Revell is to release in 2017-2018 a new tool 1/32nd North American P-51D Mustang kit - ref. 03944

Source: http://www.kitreviewsonline.de/revell-neuheiten-fuer-das-jahr-2017/

Eine P-51D Mustang aus neuen Formen wird gegen den Trumpeter-Kit in´s Rennen geschickt.
Wir sind gespannt auf die ersten testshots!

03944.jpg

P-51D Mustang
Product Number: 03944 | Scale: 1:32
Availability: 10/2017 | New Tool

V.P.

MattMemory2.jpg

Edited by Homebee

Wonderful! Just what we need. Yet another P-51. :sleep_1::sleep_1:. Still, at least I have that lovely 262 to look forward to!

Allan

Edited by Albeback52
  • Like 1

I know sometimes more kits of subjects that have been done before can be a good thing as there can be improvements (I think we need a new 1/24 Mustang from Airfix) but can't say I'm excited about this.   Their MkII Spitfire wasn't exactly brilliant and there's already good Mustangs in 1/32 from Tamiya and ZM.

Edited by SeaVenom
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, SeaVenom said:

I know sometimes more kits of subjects that have been done before can be a good thing as there can be improvements (I think we new a new 1/24 Mustang from Airfix) but can't say I'm excited about this.   Their MkII Spitfire wasn't exactly brilliant and there's already good Mustangs in 1/32 from Tamiya and ZM.

With you on that! I am very underwhelmed. I still have a 70s vintage 1/32 Hasegawa P-51D. Even by todays standards that is still a very good model. Sorry Revell! I'm sure this will be a lovely kit & a good seller but, I'm afraid it scores 0/10 from me in regard to choice of subject.

Allan

37 minutes ago, Albeback52 said:

With you on that! I am very underwhelmed. I still have a 70s vintage 1/32 Hasegawa P-51D. Even by todays standards that is still a very good model. Sorry Revell! I'm sure this will be a lovely kit & a good seller but, I'm afraid it scores 0/10 from me in regard to choice of subject.

Allan

Agreed.    Revell have some great kits but their new release list on New Years eve seems to be quite lacklustre year after year.

59 minutes ago, Albeback52 said:

Allan

The new Revell kit will be cheaper in Europe and much more widely available than the Tamiya, ZM, or Hasegawa kit. It will sell well in the US too if the price point is similar to the recent Spit, Bf 109s, or Fw 190; i.e. $25-35.

• Like 3

There's a thread about this kit on the Large Scale Planes forum that suggests the "D" is a typo and Revell are actually releasing a new 1/32 P-51B. Apparently they were showing CAD images of a B at Telford. I would certainly be happier with a new B/C Mustang.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

The new Revell kit will be cheaper in Europe and much more widely available than the Tamiya, ZM, or Hasegawa kit. It will sell well in the US too if the price point is similar to the recent Spit, Bf 109s, or Fw 190; i.e. $25-35.

Good point. The old (but still good) Hasegawa kit can be had for £30 or less second hand ( that's about $37). Revell kits are at least reasonably priced and the retail price of the new kit will be at a far more sensible level. As an example, I paid £29 ($36) recently for the new Revell 1/32 Me 262

Allan

• Like 3

6 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

There's a thread about this kit on the Large Scale Planes forum that suggests the "D" is a typo and Revell are actually releasing a new 1/32 P-51B. Apparently they were showing CAD images of a B at Telford. I would certainly be happier with a new B/C Mustang.

It is not a typo. It is a "D"

Yes it is a little bit of disappointment. The decision was taken because of market prospects and not from the point of modellers` desires. The good thing about this: the design is in the same gifted and splendid hand and spirit as the new Me 262...

• Like 1

Revell - Why bother with reader polls and website customer  Wishlists? 

Im sure a 1/32 P-51 came nowhere near the votes received for a new tool 1/72 Avto Lincoln!!! 

Thats the last time I will waste my time on what would appear to be a very pointless excercise. 

I predict a new tool Blue Steel equipped Victor for 2018!! 

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 2

I understand that a P-51D may suit the market better, but a P-51B would have got my money.

And as for that 1/32 Dornier 17Z. I've given up now. Time to scratch build instead.

Best regards;

Steve

I too would have been happier with a P-51B, but a cheaper alternative to the Tamiya and Zoukei-Mura kits that's more modern than the Hasegawa kit is certainly welcome.

That being said, I'm a 1:72 guy first and foremost, so the new tool Airfix kit is my go-to P-51D, since a kit that still goes for about $10 or less and only takes up a few square inches of shelf space makes it realistic to answer the question "which markings?" the way I not-so-secretly want to with the P-51D..."all of the above!"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Revell - Why bother with reader polls and website customer  Wishlists? 

Im sure a 1/32 P-51 came nowhere near the votes received for a new tool 1/72 Avto Lincoln!!! 

Thats the last time I will waste my time on what would appear to be a very pointless excercise. 

I predict a new tool Blue Steel equipped Victor for 2018!! 

Cheers.. Dave

Agreed on that Dave. In fact, I think ABeck summed it up quite succinctly ; "The decision was taken because of market prospects and not from the point of modellers` desires". Kind of renders reader polls and wish lists largely irrelevant. Obviously, some "desires" are going to be a tad fanciful and should be treated as such but, I do wonder for example how important "market prospects" were in respect of a Junkers Ju-290 & Blohm und Voss BV-222 to name but two not particularly well known WWII subjects. Or, what the market prospects were for aircraft that never left the drawing board - such as Revell's Luftwaffe '46 subjects?

Allan

ps - obviously, I recognise that market prospects are a very important consideration.

Edited by Albeback52

4 minutes ago, Albeback52 said:

Agreed on that Dave. In fact, I think ABeck summed it up quite succinctly ; "The decision was taken because of market prospects and not from the point of modellers` desires". Kind of renders reader polls and wish lists largely irrelevant. Obviously, some "desires" are going to be a tad fanciful and should be treated as such but, I do wonder for example how important "market prospects" were in respect of a Junkers Ju-290 & Blohm und Voss BV-222 to name but two not particularly well known WWII subjects. Or, what the market prospects were for aircraft that never left the drawing board - such as Revell's Luftwaffe '46 subjects?

Having voted for a 1:72 CP-107 Argus, I have to agree with you on that...

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Sabre_days said:

Having voted for a 1:72 CP-107 Argus, I have to agree with you on that...

Reader polls and wish lists online through a controlled homepage are not irrelevant for the commercial services as they permit to gather datas and informations about the prospects.

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

1 hour ago, Albeback52 said:

[..] I do wonder for example how important "market prospects" were in respect of a Junkers Ju-290 & Blohm und Voss BV-222 to name but two not particularly well known WWII subjects. Or, what the market prospects were for aircraft that never left the drawing board - such as Revell's Luftwaffe '46 subjects?

There are rules and there are exceptions from those. I guess most prominent are the most produced and used, so the best known by ordinary people (except Soviet Yak-9s ^_^). But there is clearly a demand for big crazy Nazi stuff, where the most crazy and most obscure secrets project the better idea it is. Maybe because of myth of super secret evil Nazi technology, and people love such secrets, which move imagination. Last year a lot of people here in Poland went crazy for Nazi gold train, it's a similar phenomena I think.

Somehow British Defiant is a similar exception.

Edited by Botan
  • Like 1

I've wanted a P-51 in 1/32 at an affordable price for a while. Hasegawa kit is outdated, dragon kit is not upto scratch and tamiya is out my price range. In fact with the etched that would be released with the kit it would still be cheaper that the tamiya kit. No doubt tamiya kit would still be superior but still a chunk more expensive 

• Like 1

The Mustang either a B/C or another D makes sense if Revell do a reasonable job in it and the price point is in line with their recent 1/32 scale releases. 

Sometimes I wonder if folk on modelling forums realise that the primary purpose of any modelling company is not to release esoteric or 'un-kitted' types of aircraft in a scale that inevitably elicits a response that is should have been released in another scale or subtype.  But actually it's purpose is to make money and generate a return for the business owners and /or share holders. 

I think it it would be easy to listen to modellers 'wants' build up a back catalogue of tooling for 'less mainstream' subjects and become insolvent relatively quickly.

my 2c

Plasto

• Like 4

I can see why Revell would want to add an iconic fighter in 1/32 in to their product range at a price point that could persuade purchasers to choose their product over the competition.

What irritates me is the huge big fanfare  midnight at New Year roll out and under the clearing dry ice as the notes of the singing choir die away is..........humdrum routine 0 factor excitement.  Sure make a 1/32 P51 and add to the range, slip it out but don't make it sound like we are all being treated to something special.

It's all a bit like getting treated to dinner at the Ritz and being offered a diet coke and a plate of mince and tatties.  Wholesome and tasty but nothing to shout about.

Did no one ever explain to them the marketing rule, under promise and over deliver?

• Like 2

Surely the point is that there are already other 1:32 P-51Ds out there, whatever their price may be, whereas the only 1:32 P-51B is Revell's own ancient and less than state of the art kit. That alone should make a new B model a good seller - from my point of view both 3RAAF and 450RAAF operated them, and so I'd have at least two and (depending on price) probably more, and I can't believe that I'm the only one. There are already a couple of Tamiya Ds in the stash lined up for other RAAF aircraft, and they need company ...

1 hour ago, JohnT said:

I can see why Revell would want to add an iconic fighter in 1/32 in to their product range at a price point that could persuade purchasers to choose their product over the competition.

What irritates me is the huge big fanfare  midnight at New Year roll out and under the clearing dry ice as the notes of the singing choir die away is..........humdrum routine 0 factor excitement.  Sure make a 1/32 P51 and add to the range, slip it out but don't make it sound like we are all being treated to something special.

It's all a bit like getting treated to dinner at the Ritz and being offered a diet coke and a plate of mince and tatties.  Wholesome and tasty but nothing to shout about.

Did no one ever explain to them the marketing rule, under promise and over deliver?

That's a very good point.  

Trumpeter also make a 1/32 'B'

Modellers reasonably think and act like modellers.

Model companies reasonably have to cater for modellers like us with our wants and 'needs' and also folks buying gifts, folks new to the hobby, kids spending pocket money and all of the general public who for whatever reason buy a plastic model kit and who really don't know that Tamiya also have a 1/32 51-D out. 

I suspect that non 'modelling' share of the market is reasonably large and also more likely to buy at RRP from a traditional 'bricks n mortar' retailer not at a 'margin skinny' online retailer. Meaning more margin for the retailer and thus more chance of a reorder for Revell. Retailers like good margins.

So while undoubtedly we as modellers are an important part of the market. We are fortunately are not the only part. When you embrace that it makes releases like 'another' P-51D more understandable. 

Cheers

Plasto