Badder's WWII AFVs and DIOS for 2016

Badder

My dio 'Carry on Regardless (ft Sid James, Bren Gunner) completed March 2016.

Tamiya 1/35th Universal Carrier (forced reconnaissance)

Woodland Scenics 'Realistic Water'.

Everything else scratch-built

This was a joy to construct, using a sub-surface wire mesh to facilitate static grass application, a new method of constructing trees using nylon monofilament fishing line to make the branches/twigs, and an accidental discovery of how to make realistic water splashes, wakes and bubbles by mixing CA with Realistic Water.

DSC01071_zpswpjo9sfl.jpg

170084DSC01081.jpg

DSC01062_zpssw6nualc.jpg

DSC01072_zpsct6lnsy1.jpg

DSC01073_zpss9zuqjzz.jpg

DSC01079_zpsp6jmw6op.jpg

DSC01077_zpsua01iq8q.jpg

TFL

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 10

Failure One of two, and the only failure to feature in this yearbook.

The Nashorn (Tamiya 1/35th) which went disastrously wrong at the final stage, stripping patches of varnish and paint back to the plastic. I stripped the whole model back, re-painted then stupidly repeated the original mistake ... the Nashorn met its death against the kitchen tap.   760103DSC02982.jpg342951DSC03045.jpg

Edited by Badder
  • Like 5

Tamiya 1/35th Sherman M4A3 105mm Howitzer.

An immensley enjoyable and easy build, with added sponsons, additional stowage and supplementary armour. Aerial left off as this tank will feature in  dio at a later date and I thought an aerial might get snapped off in the meantime.

The following pics were taken before the matt coat.... for those see last two pics.

936465DSC04744.jpg

610200DSC04748.jpg

219415DSC04736.jpg

921311DSC04760.jpg

648654DSC04765.jpg

Matt coat applied. More tie-down ropes were added after these photos were taken, like this:177898DSC05281.jpg

816850DSC05275.jpg

Edited by Badder
  • Like 6

My entry to the Vignette GB.  'Enemy at the gate' or 'For you little piggy the war is over'.

Leaving this build until way to late, with many changes of mind along the way, I rushed to get this done by the closing time, and with 5 mins to go tried to upload pics, but had an internet failure. I missed the deadline by 10 to 20 mins, but luckily the moderators allowed me to enter it.

It got one vote.  Ho hum! Lesson learned.

Tamiya 1/35th BMW r/75 with Sidecar. One figure from Tamiya's Infantrymen on bicycles, the passenger adapted from the kit figure. Everything else scratch built.

113146DSC06700.jpg

576501DSC06695.jpg

281007DSC06697.jpg

562972DSC06694.jpg

558325DSC06705.jpg

854674DSC06698.jpg

TFL

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 3

Just now, Ozzy said:

Nice collection Badder, I see new things every time I see your dioaramas.:goodjob:

Cheers Ozzy.

I have more pics to add, more of the vignette and my StuG III, but the internet is doing my head in so I will post them tomorrow.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

Just now, Will Vale said:

Some excellent depictions of soggy vegetation there. I think the long thin format of the Bren Carrier dio is really good too. Inspiring stuff.

Cheers,

Will

Thanks Will.

I thought it would be a bit different. Originally, I had intended it to be more of an assault course than it is, but lack of skill and patience strangled that idea. I may very well attempt it again in the future!

Rearguards, and a happy new year.

Badder

My first ever departure from Tamiya (in the field of military models anyway) 

Dragon's ancient 'Imperial Series' StuG III Ausf G

Pretty awful kit in places, but an enjoyable build nonetheless.

Here I went for the very worn and dirty look. I repeated the exact same 'winter camo and weathering' processes I used on the Nashorn but without the same disastrous foul-up at the end. 

860483DSC06820.jpg

805939DSC06819.jpg

800807DSC06818.jpg

382034DSC06821.jpg

147202DSC06822.jpg

680870DSC06827.jpg

561401DSC06828.jpg

This StuG will be featured in my diorama 'Hambushed' which is currently under construction.

TFL

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 3

And that concludes my yearbook for 2016.

What didn't make it into this gallery, or indeed any WIP or RFI and in fact joined the Nashorn in the bin was Tamiya's reboxed Italeri  Armoured Car SdKfz 234 (or some number anyway.. I can't be bothered to look it up) I actually had the damned thing ready for a coat of winter camo but decided to rinse it off under the kitchen cold water tap first to remove a stubborn decal and it did the Nashorn thing and stripped itself of varnish and paint and then proceeded to unglue itself. ??????

In conclusion:

I really enjoyed making the 'Carry on Regardless' dio and learned a few things in the process, which is good.

I've learned that varnish doesn't always do what it says on the tin, despite allowing more than enough drying time.

I've learned that if I am to enter a GB, I MUST make use of all the available 'window' and not leave things until the last coupe of weeks!

I've learned that winter camo is very hard to get right, but worth the effort, and the odd disaster here and there. Next I must try 'recently applied winter camo' rather than 'old worn and dirty'.!

My new year's resolution: I will NOT move onto a new model until I have completed either a dio, vignette or display stand for the previous one!

Thanks to all for your likes, comments and advice throughout the year, and thanks to all those whose work inspires me to improve and to try out new things! And of course, thanks BM.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

Some excellent work Badder,love the setting's in the dio's great little detail's set off the AFV's

Thanks Steve, much appreciated.

Rearguards,

Badder

Hi Badder. Happy New Year! What a great collection for the year. I have been so impressed by your attention to detail, both scenically and with regards your weathering techniques. You create some of the most atmospheric/realist effects I have seen. :worthy:

I'm really looking forward to seeing what you produce in 2017.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Badder. Happy New Year! What a great collection for the year. I have been so impressed by your attention to detail, both scenically and with regards your weathering techniques. You create some of the most atmospheric/realist effects I have seen. :worthy:

I'm really looking forward to seeing what you produce in 2017.

Kind regards,

Stix

You're too kind Stix. I'm getting there slowly thanks to the skilled people like you from whom I take inspiration. Thanks a lot for your support throughout and I look forward to seeing yours too. Oooh er!

Best wishes for the new year.

Rearguards,

Badder

On ‎01‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 0:24 PM, Builder said:

Love the Nashorn the Sherman and the Stug III. All very well done mate. Superb work here. 

Oh, so what's wrong with the Universal Carrier then? Eh? Eh? :D

Thanks Builder, much appreciated.

Rearguards,

Badder