My year of group builds

Stosh65

On review I haven't built anything this year that wasn't for a group build. Kind of an accident, the first few months of the calendar were packed with everything I wanted to do and then work went mental in the second half of the year which has left me with little time and energy for building, though the Skyrim special edition hasn't helped that either. So I'm left with a grand score of 5 for the year but I am at least satisfied with how they have come out.

First off was the Made in Britain build at the start of the year and the airfix Shorts Tucano in 90s training colours. Not the best kit and it wound up wheels up after I forgot to put in nose weight. Photobucket is not playing ball on that one, the links are going to other pics. If you want a look the build thread is here.

Then there were two at once, the Hawker Hurricane STGB  and the Starter Set build. Can't remember which was finished first. For the starter set I did the airfix E-type Jaguar which is clearly an older tool but it was a fun build and a good learning experience, mostly about how many coats are required when you over thin your paint. This was a great build and I encourage everyone to jump on if another takes place.

DSC_0129_zpsda0x4dc3.jpg

DSC_0130_zpsj7gkywmu.jpg

The Hurricane was the AZ models mkIID. Again an older mould and more challenging build but I was happy how it turned out though I had some trouble with the varnish which slightly upset the finish.

DSC_0178_zpslqgmgfqc.jpg

DSC_0179_zpsbfmhf27u.jpg

DSC_0181_zps7kjvh84h.jpg

Next finish was for the blitz build GB in August, an old mould airfix Hawker Typhoon completed as a Fleet Air Arm Whif. Great fun over a couple of days, again I highly recommend taking part in 2017.

DSC_0583_zpsdrxuarrm.jpg

DSC_0586_zpssezt9igm.jpg

Finally completed the Academy JU-87D Stuka for the Great Patriotic War build. This was a great kit, probably the best fit of all I've done so far and though I had some problems with the decals I'm very happy with the weathered effect and the way it turned out.

DSC_0605_zpsfpiiaez5.jpg

DSC_0610_zpseskdpdg2.jpg

DSC_0611_zpsg1aezeet.jpg

There's also a Mustang going in the STGB which I thought might squeeze in but the last week has been busy socially. Hopefully should get some more time as work settles down again over the next few months. Also, the GB vote did not go well in favour of my picks this year so it'll mostly be my own choices, which will be a nice change.

Edited by Stosh65
  • Like 6