Heinkel He-III Fans ? - Can I pick your brains please

BIG X

Pardon my lack of knowledge :blush:  I have been waiting patiently to add to my Battle of Britain 1/48 collection - in the form of the conspicuously absent He-III.

I have been waiting for ICM to add to their Luftwaffe 1/48 collection & today Hannants announced that this is on the way for 2017...

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/ICM48261

It won't be out until the Autumn of 2017 - but I have plenty to go at in the meantime :)

My questions are - which particular variant(s) flew in this time period & assuming the He-111H-3 isn't one of them - (other than decals) what other differences will I need to work around (in your honest opinion).

Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Edited by BIG X
word change

P series, H2, H4 started to appear late in the BoB period.

H series used different engine than the P series. Difference between H2 and H4; H4 could carry up to 500Kg bombs under each wing root.

Late H4 introduced the 20mm cannon in the front of the gondola

No real visble exterior differences between H2/3/4 [except bomb mountings under wing roots on 4]

17 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

P series, H2, H4 started to appear late in the BoB period.

H series used different engine than the P series. Difference between H2 and H4; H4 could carry up to 500Kg bombs under each wing root.

Late H4 introduced the 20mm cannon in the front of the gondola

No real visble exterior differences between H2/3/4 [except bomb mountings under wing roots on 4]

Thanks fro coming back - So I could "kind of" build it out of the box perhaps?

1 minute ago, Jure Miljevic said:

Hi Steve

Differences between various Battle of Britain He 111 H models had already been discussed. Here is the link to one of those discussions:

While kits concerned were in 1/72 scale, you may still find some useful information there. Cheers

Jure

Thanks for the heads up - I will go & have a nosey - cheers

Some of the differences are still argued over: does the H-3 have transparency and a weapon in the forward part of the gondola or was this introduced on the H-4?  It was absent from the H-3s sold to Romania, and from those operated by KGr100.  in the latter case, it is of course of considerable less use at night.  Or was it perhaps a mod that was capable of being retro-fitted to several sub-variants?  Like the additional side guns.  This makes it useful for you to know enough about the precise example you are doing.  Work from a photo if you can.- then it won't matter whether someone captions it as an H-3, H-4, or anything else.  You'll be making it as it was, regardless of the label.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

Some of the differences are still argued over: does the H-3 have transparency and a weapon in the forward part of the gondola or was this introduced on the H-4?  It was absent from the H-3s sold to Romania, and from those operated by KGr100.  in the latter case, it is of course of considerable less use at night.  Or was it perhaps a mod that was capable of being retro-fitted to several sub-variants?  Like the additional side guns.  This makes it useful for you to know enough about the precise example you are doing.  Work from a photo if you can.- then it won't matter whether someone captions it as an H-3, H-4, or anything else.  You'll be making it as it was, regardless of the label.

Sound advice - Thanks for that - I would "like" this - but I've used up my "likes" for the day - you only get 50 & there is so much too like on here for a newbie ;)