Last Post (2016) Hurricane IIB

Yep, the last one for this year. I had hoped to get in another but realistically that ain't gonna happen!

So my latest project, another old Airfix tooling from the 70's (sorry no box top this time) dug out from the bottom of the stash.

IMG_2415_zpskrdmjxro.jpg

The old Mk 1/IIB Hurribomber. I sanded back but didn't remove all the surface detail. Again its all brush painted with Humbrol acrylics including the tail band as I cannot get transfers to stick to curves! The outer gun ports which Airfix supply as transfers are replaced with paper napkin soaked in white glue after being painted red.

IMG_2414_zpsyntecdse.jpg

Another of "old" Airfix;s gem kits I think. This tooling replaced or supplemented the original Mk VI the kit I have supplied the underwing rockets, long range tanks and 20mm cannons to make the various other marks but does not supply the volkes airfilter.

IMG_2413_zpsglyma4nb.jpg

The transfers are old and a wee bit out of register on the code letters...

IMG_2412_zpsczkjpmyd.jpg

All in all another nice enjoyable build. Just to compare old with new I took a shot with the more recent Mk IIc tooling...

IMG_2417_zps8cnqslqh.jpg

The heavy recessed panel lines of today are quite noticeable. And that's it for 2016 from me, hope you liked. Thanks for looking, and Happy New Year to you all.

Cheers Greg, all comments welcome.

Edited by GREG DESTEC
  • Like 22

Nice pair of Hurricanes, Greg. As always i am in awe of modellers getting a kit neatly brush painted like yours.:partytime:

Actually these wide panel lines on newer tool kits from Airfix are not a real improvement.

Well done and have a happy new year

Cheers

Bernd

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, old thumper said:

Nice Hurricanes and well done with the photos, it is difficult taking pictures with the poor winter light with have at the moment.

Thank you Old Thumper :Dyes, photo's are difficult at the moment. We are dull overcast with rain today. I took these shots last night in the cave. You can see they are different to the Henschel pics which were taken in daylight. Cheers Greg

11 minutes ago, BerndM said:

Nice pair of Hurricanes, Greg. As always i am in awe of modellers getting a kit neatly brush painted like yours.:partytime:

Actually these wide panel lines on newer tool kits from Airfix are not a real improvement.

Well done and have a happy new year

Cheers

Bernd

Hi Bernd,

• Thanks again for the support mate, I'm glad you like the Hurricanes. All the best for tonight, cheers Greg :yahoo:
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, BerndM said:

Can t wait to see your other builds finished here :)

I am just about to launch my latest effort.

Thanks mate :D I look forward to your next post. 

Cheers Greg

• Like 1

Hi Greg,

fantastic build and paint job, especially with your acrylic paints!

I remember when these kits came out and were hailed as the bees knees of modelling! And we hardly ever criticized them as they were so innovative... We seem to have gone full circle as we still find them great despite all the new toolings... Will we ever be satisfied?

A great New Year to you and family!

Have fun.

JR

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, jean said:

Hi Greg,

fantastic build and paint job, especially with your acrylic paints!

I remember when these kits came out and were hailed as the bees knees of modelling! And we hardly ever criticized them as they were so innovative... We seem to have gone full circle as we still find them great despite all the new toolings... Will we ever be satisfied?

A great New Year to you and family!

Have fun.

JR

Hi Jean, 

Thank you for the kind comments. I think when this one first came out it was a Series 2 kit as it had more than one option and all the ordnance. It was a great improvement over the old Series 1 mk VI. I think a return to these oldie make you appreciate the new stuff.

Have a great New Year with your family too.

Kind regards

Greg

Superb Hurricane Greg, and I'm also in the camp that likes that kit, sure I built two last year. I found it 

stood up very well against more modern kits. Nice paint job as well...:goodjob:

Sean

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, sean said:

Superb Hurricane Greg, and I'm also in the camp that likes that kit, sure I built two last year. I found it 

stood up very well against more modern kits. Nice paint job as well...:goodjob:

Sean

Thanks Sean,

When I found it in the stash I just had to give it a go. Really good overall fit, and as you say it still looks the part compared with the newer tooling of the II c.

Have a great New Year,  

Cheers 

Greg

8 minutes ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Thanks Sean,

When I found it in the stash I just had to give it a go. Really good overall fit, and as you say it still looks the part compared with the newer tooling of the II c.

Have a great New Year,  

Cheers 

Greg

Happy New Year mate. It's nice to take one of the oldies out of the stash and find it'a good kit,

trouble is, they seem to up in price when you look for another on E-bay!

Sean

• Like 1

Hi Greg. What a great way to end the modelling year! An old Hurricane built beautifully! Very well done.

I hope you have a very Happy New Year!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Greg. What a great way to end the modelling year! An old Hurricane built beautifully! Very well done.

I hope you have a very Happy New Year!

Kind regards,

Stix

Hi Stix,

Thanks for the kind comments. The old tools are still worth building out of the box. Another mojo booster. I am looking forward to building more of my stash next year. 

All the best for 2017 to you.

Cheers Greg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sean said:

Happy New Year mate. It's nice to take one of the oldies out of the stash and find it'a good kit,

trouble is, they seem to up in price when you look for another on E-bay!

Sean

Not so costly on Kingkit Sean. I got this one when it was still in the Airfix inventory so it was very reasonable at the time. All the best Greg

Another one that slipped the net, damn, I am going to be more careful...LOL.

Great to see Airfix upping their game.

Still , memories are made of this they say.

Old kits of nostalgic value, make for some fun times.

Simon.