1/48 Revell A10-A Thunderbolt II

plasmahal

Background:

The Fairchild Republic A-10 Thunderbolt II is a single-seat, twin turbofan engine, straight wing jet aircraft developed by Fairchild-Republic for the United States Air Force (USAF). Commonly referred to by its nicknames Warthog or Hog, its official name comes from the Republic P-47 Thunderbolt, a World War II fighter that was effective at attacking ground targets. The A-10 was designed for close-in support of ground troops, close air support (CAS), and providing quick-action support for troops against helicopters and ground forces. It entered service in 1976 and is the only production-built aircraft that has served in the USAF that was designed solely for CAS. Its secondary mission is to provide forward air controller – airborne (FAC-A) support, by directing other aircraft in attacks on ground targets. Aircraft used primarily in this role are designated OA-10.

The A-10 was intended to improve on the performance of the A-1 Skyraider and its poor firepower. The A-10 was designed around the 30 mm GAU-8 Avenger rotary cannon. Its airframe was designed for durability, with measures such as 1,200 pounds (540 kg) of titanium armor to protect the cockpit and aircraft systems, enabling it to absorb a significant amount of damage and continue flying. Its short takeoff and landing capability permits operation from airstrips close to the front lines, and its simple design enables maintenance with minimal facilities. The A-10 served in Operation Desert Shield, and Operation Desert Storm, the American intervention against Iraq's invasion of Kuwait, where the A-10 distinguished itself. The A-10 also participated in other conflicts such as Operation Urgent Fury in Grenada, the Balkans, Afghanistan, Iraq, and against ISIL in the Middle East.

Source:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairchild_Republic_A-10_Thunderbolt_II

Box and sprues:

eMPSDmY.jpg?1

jnMdaZ2.jpg?1

o2i3iQV.jpg?1

Tn6BCdG.jpg?1

3lkb7TS.jpg?1

ZkMQ9WO.jpg?1

xhYaCZT.jpg?1

naqdbQN.jpg?1

gYg5Sf5.jpg?1

HO3tlM5.jpg?1

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE ONE

So i started on this build by deciding to remove the raised panel lines and replacing them with recessed panel lines.

This was achieved by using scribing templates, tamiya curved masking tape and the UMM scribing tool.

I assembled the engines and used styrene filler to sort gaps out.  I used a lot of styrene filler on the intakes and the sanded heavily to get a nice smooth contour on the intakes.

rzlgfgC.jpg?1

94oXe77.jpg?1

Then I stared on the cockpit and prayed it with Gunze H307.

Leftover paint was used on the engine intakes to see how smooth they are.  It show up a few pin holes that need filling.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE TWO

The cockpit has been completed now.

I used Nato black to pick out the panels and some dry brushing to pick out details.

KXr1isV.jpg?1

cY9ek3S.jpg?1

UPDATE THREE

Pretty much got main assembly done.

I added some riveting detail using some artistic licence.

90zKedc.jpg?1

2rWaOBi.jpg?1

Edited by plasmahal
  • Like 4