Test shots of Revell 1:48 Beaufighter

Huub vD

Oh my- if I can be forgiven for commenting based only on sprue shots, I like the two tailplanes (yes, both dihedral, but better than Tamiya's "halfway between" take on it).  I also like the appearance of a straight line on the belly, compared to Tamiya's too-curved one.  Anxious to fondle this one!

This is the typical plastic color from the tool maker´s TS. There will be the non dihedral stab for early versions in extra boxings, too. The two V stabs have different elevators. The tool maker has made an excellent job, by far better than with the preceding 32nd Mustang.

HTH

Andreas Beck

• Like 4

It sounds as if they made a better job of the stabilisers than Tamiya who mixed up the two later types and moulded (badly) push rods or whatever as being on the top surface when they are underneath. Here is the end result of my fun and games!

38335128191_1a46301204_b.jpg

Trevor

• 3 weeks later...

Brett has posted detailed pictures of test shots of the Revell Beaufighter on Hyperscale - it looks VEWWY nice, and a step or two up from the Tamiya offering! No Mk 20 bits, but that's not an insurmountable problem.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hm, but it is a better as "good old Tamiya" ? Tamiya was still sold for very reasoneable price tag, and Revell was more expensive.... For me is Tamiya´s Beau a really shake n´ bake build - engines nacelles,hatches,  main gear etc - all - click n´ clack. Maybe is little "poor" in surface details, but very very buildable kit. 

1 hour ago, AlCZ said:

Hm, but it is a better as "good old Tamiya" ? Tamiya was still sold for very reasoneable price tag, and Revell was more expensive.... For me is Tamiya´s Beau a really shake n´ bake build - engines nacelles,hatches,  main gear etc - all - click n´ clack. Maybe is little "poor" in surface details, but very very buildable kit.

while Tamiya made very good kits, they were not always accurate. (see also 1/48 old tool Tamiya Spitfire I/V and original issue Be109E) 

Not seen a side by sdie comparison of the Tamiya and Revell, but here's the main Tamiya problem.

On 25/06/2019 at 10:07, Magpie22 said:

I agree with Bob’s comments re the rear fuselage and rudder being too deep. I cut the rear fuselage at the max breadth line and take out two triangular pieces before joining the bottom section back to the main fuselage. I also modify the rudder by taking a bit off the bottom and modifying the shape at the top to conform with the Bristol drawing. The photo below shows a modified fuselage and fin above an unmodified item. The modeler can judge for his or her self whether the mod is worth it, or not. To me the deep fuselage of the kit stands out like ‘dogs balls’, and the rather easy mod is worth the little time it takes. I also thinned out that ridiculous 1" thick rudder shroud.

986e61af-ec71-40d7-bdec-e94f526cd284.JPG

The other major error Tamiya has made is to rig the wing with the centre plane parallel to the aircraft datum. It should be set at +2.5 degrees. The engine thrust line is correct, being parallel to the aircraft datum, so if you were to try and re-rig the wings to the correct angle, then you would also have to cut out the engine nacelles and bring them back -2.5 degrees to get the thrust line correct. Now, that is getting into the ‘too hard’ basket. 

from

wrong as well.

The Revell kit is reputed to be trickier to build.    I almost bought one when Hobbycraft were doing them half price to find out.

HTH

• Like 1

Other problems with the Tamiya Beau (I have a stalled build on here somewhere):

•The wings have symmetrical flak damage square patches on both wings. These need removing. 

•There are incorrect and missing panel lines on the wing top surface.

•The tailplanes are incorrect in plan view. There are at least three types. The hinge line is also wrong.

•The tailplane hinge actuators are crude and incorrectly shown on top of the wing

•The cooling plumbing for the Hercules engines is missing.

•The rear of the canopy is too tall, because there is a slight downward sweep of the fuselage behind it which is absent.

•The undercarriage is simplified

Here is my build log....

Trevor

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

•The cooling plumbing for the Hercules engines is missing.

Trevor

What do you mean by cooling plumbing? The Hercules is an air-cooled radial engine.

Chris

19 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

What do you mean by cooling plumbing? The Hercules is an air-cooled radial engine.

Chris

Not sure how to paste specific posts, but in my build thread, you kindly provided photos of the pipe work from the engine to the cooling ring on the front of the cowling. This is completely missing from the kit, but is I believe included in the Revell kit.

This has been the stumbling block in getting the Duxford example back in the air, as all available examples seem to be post war versions which have a different configuration.

Trevor

1 hour ago, Max Headroom said:

Not sure how to paste specific posts, but in my build thread, you kindly provided photos of the pipe work from the engine to the cooling ring on the front of the cowling. This is completely missing from the kit, but is I believe included in the Revell kit.

This has been the stumbling block in getting the Duxford example back in the air, as all available examples seem to be post war versions which have a different configuration.

Trevor

That isn't a cooling ring. It's the exhaust collector ring. The fuel/air mixture is forced into the cylinders from the supercharger, via the piping at the rear of the cylinders. The burnt gases are then exhausted out those pipes into the collector ring, then discharged out the exhaust pipe(s).

48919735002_f74495d697_b.jpg

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ah! "The cooling ring at the front of the cowling"! You mean the exhaust? The exhausts on the Hercules ran forward from the cylinders to the collection ring in front of the engine, and yes, that plumbing is missing from the Tamiya kit.

And there are at least two wartime-build Mk 20s in Australia that the Duxford mob could have a gander at, even if the post-war exhaust configuration was different (which I doubt ...).

Edit: Chris, you just beat me to it!

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Looks nice. Waiting for the instructions for 03854 to become available to ascertain whether the thimble nose and pointing-uppy tailplane are included, to facilitate a Mk.VI NF. Otherwise it'll take both boxings and leave a lot of unwanted spare parts. 

Tony 

On 2/6/2020 at 10:27 PM, dogsbody said:

On 2/6/2020 at 10:27 PM, dogsbody said:

That isn't a cooling ring. It's the exhaust collector ring. The fuel/air mixture is forced into the cylinders from the supercharger, via the piping at the rear of the cylinders. The burnt gases are then exhausted out those pipes into the collector ring, then discharged out the exhaust pipe(s).

48919735002_f74495d697_b.jpg

Chris

The purpose of the ring is to collect the hot exhaust gas in order to cool them. In that effect, the gas collector ring is also a cooling ring. 😜

Edited by quangster

3 hours ago, quangster said:

The purpose of the ring is to collect the hot exhaust gas in order to cool them. In that effect, the gas collector ring is also a cooling ring. 😜

The ring's purpose is to collect the exhaust and direct it to the rear. Cooling it would serve no useful purpose. When the NACA cowling came into being in the early 1930's, Bristol incorporated their forward exhaust collector into that design. There was never a need to cool the hot gases.

Chris

On 7/19/2020 at 12:07 PM, Homebee said:

03854-kmw-beaufighter-if-nightfighter.jp

V.P.

As per the Tamiya kit, the elevator actuators are incorrect. They should be below the wing. The MK.X In the RAFM has them there because it was modded from a TT.10 and the idea was to prevent the target’s wires snagging. I don’t have the kit so either swap the actuators or if possible swap the position of the tailplanes and the problem is solved.

Still tempted though.

Trevor 

5 hours ago, tony.t said:

Looks nice. Waiting for the instructions for 03854 to become available to ascertain whether the thimble nose and pointing-uppy tailplane are included, to facilitate a Mk.VI NF. Otherwise it'll take both boxings and leave a lot of unwanted spare parts. 

Tony 

I'm hoping those like me are not out of luck in getting a Mk.VI NF out of this kit. I notice that "new parts" unfortunately means 25 fewer parts: 163 as opposed to 188 in the original boxing. I suppose that could be extended fin fillet parts, rockets and torpedo etc., but given the new flat tail option (6 parts?), the bow & arrow and wing antenna and some kind of radar display (6 more parts?) that means a net loss of about 37 parts. 

Please Revell, just include both types of observer/navigator bubble hoods in each kit.

Tony