A pair of Fokkers D.XXI 1/72 Special Hobby

Hello fellow modellers,

this is a couple of Finnish D.XXI's of the Wasp Junior powered 4th version, built with earlier slot-less (FR-125) and later slotted wing (FR-129).

The Special Hobby kit needed some extra work to adress too short cowling, which was extended by 1.5mm thick strip and the fabric on the landing flaps was sanded down as these were all-metal. Otherwise, pretty nice build with just few adders here and there, especially around the engine and in the cokcpit.

The FR-125 markings for 2/LLV 30 machine depicting it in early July 1941 as flown by T.Mattila came from the box, while the markings for FR-129 representing mount of the most succesfull pilot of the Wasp powered D.XXI , V.Karu (6 kills), was assembled of decals coming from Stratus book on Finish AF, and partially from the kit.

Public thanks must go to Kari Stenman for his invaluable help with the markings of the latter kit.

Cheers

Libor

DXXI_09_zpsgdm7umbl.jpg

DXXI_01_zpseotevwbp.jpg

DXXI_02_zps6sofrz8d.jpg

DXXI_03_zpsyrlbnii0.jpg

DXXI_04_zpscbtvn8dt.jpg

DXXI_05_zps8myavjla.jpg

DXXI_06_zpstbegk743.jpg

DXXI_07_zpstwpzb0dl.jpg

DXXI_08_zpsn0cbjeso.jpg

• Like 31

Outstanding work! You nailed the colors and the demarcation between them, and the weathering is right on the mark, too! It's also good to see somebody who can fair and paint canopy framework cleanly! Well done! (Going to do the DXXI with retractable undercart next?)

Mike

Very nice Libor, it's nice to know your Finnish builds have such good credentials, it makes me feel good about copying your photos to use as reference for when I get around to doing mine. :)

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz

Cheers gents! The canopies actually required carefull fitting and also some filling around them, so they needed to be restored with fine polishing and a coat of Future.

Steve: no problem Steve, just let me know when needed, I may have more on this topic.

Best wishes for 2017 to everyone!

Libor

• Like 1