Ammo of Mig Jimenez Su-33 color set...

drake122

Hello,

I recently stumbled upon this acrylic paint pack for Su-33 camo colors

http://www.migjimenez.com/en/acrylic-sets-four-colors-/602-su-33-colors.html

I was wondering if anyone have experience - good or bad- with them. Are the colors generally accurate?

I've read some mixed reviews on AMIG colors before, clogging airbrushes, etc., but these being advertised as pre-thinned and acrylic, I am very tempted to buy.

Have a Zvezda Su-33 in 72nd eyed out already, I'm more of a brush-paint only person, so this set would make my life a lot easier I think.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by drake122
added tags
  • Like 1

I have this set, but am still waiting to get a Zvezda Su-33 to use them on.

In general, I like these paints - they do not come pre-thinned, however (but that's a plus in my book). 

Cheers,

Andre

I've been using Ammo paints for some time without problems. No cons regarding airbrushing them, the only notice is that a primer coat is recommended as the paint adhesion directly to plastic is not so good compared to other acrylics like Tamiya/Gunze. 

Cheers

Serelle

I have the set too but haven't tested the colours yet to see how accurate they are. Don't forget that you can thin AMMO paint with Mr Color Levelling Thinner too. This will allow you to spray a fine feathered edge with your airbrush. Mix ration about 50/50. AMMO paint sprays OK with just water as a thinner, but much better with Mr Color Levelling Thinner, with no clogging or tip drying if thinned that way.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Gekko_1 said:

I have the set too but haven't tested the colours yet to see how accurate they are. Don't forget that you can thin AMMO paint with Mr Color Levelling Thinner too. This will allow you to spray a fine feathered edge with your airbrush. Mix ration about 50/50. AMMO paint sprays OK with just water as a thinner, but much better with Mr Color Levelling Thinner, with no clogging or tip drying if thinned that way.

Good to know that Gekko! 

They're almost identical in quality and behavior as Vallejo, so if you've used Vallejo, Ammo is no different. Vallejo thinner works great with them but as others have said, if you want the best finish, use Mr Color Levelling Thinner.

Like all paint brands, they are a hit and miss when it comes to accuracy. For Russian colors, I would prefer Akan paints. Expensive and not easy to find in the UK but very accurate and spray beautifully (very similar to Tamiya/Gunze but without the smell!)

• Like 1

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice!

I didn't think of Mr.Color leveling thinner, just ordered the Mig acrylic thinner they recommended for it... oh well.

Searched for AKAN paints too, but none of my local hobby shops had them in stock.

So today I got the MIG Su-33 paint set... just by comparing to some photos of the real aircraft, they seem a bit off... but lighting conditions may be different, etc. I think I will brush paint a random piece of plastic and compare that when it dries...

I airbrushed a strip of plastic card primered with Stynylrez Black and was very happy with the results. I really wouldn't stress too much about colour accuracy. I'm pretty fanatical about such things and was satisfied. The variance of lighting conditions taken into account I'm not going to modify the paints when I do my Kinetic Su-33, I think the MIG AMMO colours will be excellent.

1ca153cf-61b4-49bd-b61e-f86c0c609d42.jpg

• Like 1

On ‎05‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 9:28 PM, Gekko_1 said:

I airbrushed a strip of plastic card primered with Stynylrez Black and was very happy with the results.

Hi Gekko, any particular reason to use Stynylrez black as primer? Is that what you normally use?

I use flat black enamel to prime small parts to be painted white, such as landing gears, wheel hubs, doors and wheel wells, because it gives a natural depth to bolts, frames and raised features in general, like a pre-shading for panel lines. Never thought of using black over plain surfaces.

By the way, I am interested to the Mig paints for the Su-33 and will definitely go for them, instead of finding a new source/shop just to buy the Akan paints.

Thank you for your test!

Davide

Edited by Davetur

On ‎10‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 9:00 AM, Davetur said:

Hi Gekko, any particular reason to use Stynylrez black as primer? Is that what you normally use?

I use flat black enamel to prime small parts to be painted white, such as landing gears, wheel hubs, doors and wheel wells, because it gives a natural depth to bolts, frames and raised features in general, like a pre-shading for panel lines. Never thought of using black over plain surfaces.

By the way, I am interested to the Mig paints for the Su-33 and will definitely go for them, instead of finding a new source/shop just to buy the Akan paints.

Thank you for your test!

Davide

Stynylrez black is a very good primer and I'll use it on all my projects from now on. However it looks like the latest MIG AMMO and AK Interactive primers may be of a similar type? I'll have to review them in time. I use the black as it gives the perfect surface to test the opacity of any paint I'm using. With White or Grey one can never be 100% sure if the surface has been covered properly, at least with Black there is no doubt.

Well I brushed the light gray (supposed underside) color on a piece of plastic, on grey primer, and I find it lacks the typical blue-ish shade seen on most walkaround pics, regardless of lighting and angles.

The other two colors seem alright though.

I might just make a custom mix to add a wee bit of blue into the grey one.

Haven't tried using black primer though - might be worth a shot!

On ‎12‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 9:05 PM, Gekko_1 said:

Stynylrez black is a very good primer and I'll use it on all my projects from now on. However it looks like the latest MIG AMMO and AK Interactive primers may be of a similar type? I'll have to review them in time. I use the black as it gives the perfect surface to test the opacity of any paint I'm using. With White or Grey one can never be 100% sure if the surface has been covered properly, at least with Black there is no doubt.

Thank you Gekko, based on my experience with black under white I was going to reach the same conclusion, that black could be used as an overall primer, but you came up with a very sound reason for it.

Well, I'll stick to good old Humbrol 33 for now, and will try other brands in the meantime.

Cheers

Davide

• Like 1

4 hours ago, IGKent said:

I think, the color is similar, but not exactly. Look at this..... http://karopka.ru/forum/forum259/topic21485/?PAGEN_1=81

Holy smokes, that is some superb modelling work on the Has Su-33. So many nice reference pics too.

But yeah, I was already 100 percent certain the Ammo MIG color set is not correct. The underside grey is absolutely different.

I just used Water based Akan for the first time on the GWH Mig-29 SMT. They work well and thinning them with Mr. Hobby Leveling thinner worked very well. The claim to fame of these paints is that they are from actual paint chips used by the VVS etc. If you buy the sets that are specific for a particular aircraft, make certain to check the stock numbers because you can easily end up with duplicate colors when doing so.

Edited by Blue_Centurion

Another one for AKAN.  You have to give 'em a mighty good shake to loosen all the pigments, as you'll notice they do tend to separate out when they go unagitated for any period of time, but the colours are good, the paint is fairly robust (for acrylic), and they're tolerant of different thinners, such as the Ultimate thinners I usually use. :)