Woody37's 2016 in plastic

woody37

Putting this together has just reminded me why I moved away from Photobucket, so so frustrating slow, its like being on dial up again!

Anyway, the year started with a Blackbird Manchester conversion to the new Airfix Lancaster kit. Whilst most of the work was done in 2015, I didn't finish the base until this year. Really pleased with this one as I'd tried a new painting technique out for emphasising the panels by giving the effect of them being bowed.

f3_zpsocygfn4a.jpg

f9_zps4hbtkawv.jpg

f5_zpsplextuoo.jpg

f13_zpsmzmkoikb.jpg

Second finish of the year was a cold war icon, again a conversion of a Airifx 1/72 kit, the B.(I)8 using the Aeroclub B.2 conversion in Suez markings. Again, I tried something new on the finish with this in using varying degrees of matt finish across the surface to emphasis panel lines although the effect doesn't come out on the photo's.

f1_zpsd2zz8ltf.jpg

f6_zpsy3dho3zt.jpg

f5_zpswhohrvmg.jpg

f7_zpspdxb4pjo.jpg

Next up was a double build, the Valom Hampden & Airfix Whitley. I used a combination of Airfix, Falcon & Valom clear parts to complete the Hampden which slowed things down, but the basic plastic is very nice, so I'm looking forwards to the new release that has addressed these shortcomings. The Whitley was one of the best kits I've done in a long while. Apart from the nose transparencies which require sanding to fit, everything else just fell together.

30322949513_d5998aa595_o_d.jpg

31015608261_40be586146_o_d.jpg

30322949283_ffc52d7c0a_o_d.jpg

30322948833_a1634d3dc4_o_d.jpg

31129905285_c6ee13c26a_o_d.jpg

30322948733_8fd1f14bf3_o_d.jpg

Final finish of the year (yes, I know, there wasn't many!!) was another iconic cold war aircraft, the Sword 1/48 Lightning T.5. Really enjoyed working in the bigger scale with this one and a great mojo restorer. I've got the Airfix single seater ready to do in 2017 which I'm looking forwards to getting stuck in to.

31732291326_b41b962ab9_o_d.jpg

31732289936_c8bea47deb_o_d.jpg

31769459355_fd7fddc466_o_d.jpg

31732290736_26e169fae9_o_d.jpg

Thanks for looking, have a great and productive 2017 :) 

Cheers, Neil

• Like 41

Absolute quality and I love every one,......the Manchester has the edge for me,....but only by a whisker!.

Great stuff mate,

Tony

• Like 1

Love your builds mate, always a pleasure to view and watch them come together. Looking forward to seeing what 2017 brings from the Woody bench. First time I've seen that Lightning too, lovely!

Quality over quantity too..... ;)

• Like 1

Very classy paintwork. Whatever you did for the bowed panels (masking and shading?) really works as there looks to be surface relief in some of those pictures.

Lovely Lightning too, I also have the Airfix one and keep thinking I should give it a go...

Cheers,

Will

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2016 at 10:37 AM, Kallisti said:

That painting effect you mentioned on the Manchester is very effective, must be incredibly time consuming though, you must be very patient :)

It did take longer, but using a a piece of masking tape, it was fairly quickly moved along each panel line, so not as long as you'd think.

13 hours ago, Will Vale said:

Very classy paintwork. Whatever you did for the bowed panels (masking and shading?) really works as there looks to be surface relief in some of those pictures.

Lovely Lightning too, I also have the Airfix one and keep thinking I should give it a go...

Cheers,

Will

Hi Will, yes, I added some white to each base colour then used a piece of masking tape against the panel line, one axis at a time.

Cheers

Lovely work Woody - the Lancaster is superb - I'm still not entirely clear how you got the effect but Boy it has worked.

The Canberra is also another standout.  I don't normally build aircraft - you've caused me to think twice!

Most Excellent

Rob

• Like 1

My gob is well and truly smacked Neil I loved everyone and enjoyed the WIPs.

You may have noticed some spots of drool over the Hampden after Saturday's Telford and for this I apologise (It could have been worse!).

Regards

Jim

• Like 1