"Berwick" Winston's Clipper

JOCKNEY

This is a real blast from the past, the box says 1976 and it's been lost in my parents loft for the last 40 years until the house was sold recently. Amazingly I haven't lost any bits (famous last words !) so with some serious filling of seams to do we should be on our way.

Photos below

http://s783.photobucket.com/user/Jockney007/media/IMG_3139_zpssfczemec.jpg.html

http://s783.photobucket.com/user/Jockney007/media/IMG_3140_zpsf8pkvizc.jpg.html

http://s783.photobucket.com/user/Jockney007/media/IMG_3141_zps7jgbxrbt.jpg.html

http://s783.photobucket.com/user/Jockney007/media/IMG_3142_zpslpxvb71q.jpg.html

Having trouble with photo-bucket copying the images over so that they appear in the posting, any tips given would be appreciated !

cheers Pat

I have a love/hate relationship with PB Try clicking on direct link in PB In reply select insert other media Select URL Right click in URL box then paste Hope this helps  

Martin H

• 2 weeks later...

Finally Mrs Jockney is away on a training course so chance for some modelling.

IMG_3151

IMG_3152

The paints dry, so the plan is to assemble the engines props etc tonight and fit to the rest of the aircraft.

However, I seem to have a bit missing...... Its the teardrop shaped clear part at the top of the fuselage. Part number 37 below.

32235938625_e3f54fde60_b.jpg

Anyone got this kit to give me an idea of the size and shape so I can make a replacement part ?

cheers Pat

• Like 1

I've got the kit - stalled WIP thread is here somewhere - but this part isn't painted yet so its just a blob when photographed. Its a cupola with windows - exactly how many isn't certain. The kit part is a smooth blob, some suggest four windows others six. Lets see if this pic from another builds works:

IMG_1750_zpsesn0t42d.jpg~original

• Like 1

A bit more progress on "Berwick" 

IMG_3154

Engines fitted, but not without a struggle, some of the engine parts which are fitted after this are tiny. Ready victims for the carpet monster most likely !

IMG_3155

I apologise for the standard of masking, it's something I hate, and am rubbish at it  :banghead:

Hope to get the silver paint on the underside done tonight, update tomorrow

cheers Pat

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

A bit more progress on "Berwick" 

IMG_3154

Engines fitted, but not without a struggle, some of the engine parts which are fitted after this are tiny. Ready victims for the carpet monster most likely !

IMG_3155

I apologise for the standard of masking, it's something I hate, and am rubbish at it  :banghead:

Hope to get the silver paint on the underside done tonight, update tomorrow

cheers Pat

Your not alone in that  

Martin H

• Like 1

Painting underway, silver went on first. I couldn't find the trusty humbrol 11 so used humbrol 191, its ended up looking like I didn't stir it first ! I'm undecided on whether to keep it or repainted it, as it has a weathered look about it which is growing on me, what do you think ?

IMG_3159

Painting the top side much more straightforward here after 2 coats of H123 Extra Dark Sea Grey, can't find my H224 Dark Slate Grey so need to buy a pot this morning which of course  means I will find the original one when I get home :doh:

IMG_3158

Having looked at more photos on the internet, I see the wing and tailplane leading edges are painted black so this need to go on the list, fortunately I know where the H33 is although the day is still young !

cheers Pat

• Like 6

Shouldn't the hull be black ? The weathered effect looks good from here. Agree the best way to find something is to buy another. Nice work so far loolking forward to more  

Martin H

• Like 1

Hi Martin

The trusty or should that be dodgy Airfix painting guide shows a black underside for the "Pan Am" version but a silver underside in BOAC use. If you look at the photo of the real aircraft above at the top of this thread you can see the underside colour is a silvery grey colour.

Also typical to form my local model shop didn't have H224 so painting stalled until the evilBay delivery arrives  :doh:

Many thanks everyone for all the encouragement

cheers Pat

Good news the paint arrived yesterday so last night was a painting night

IMG_3168

IMG_3167

IMG_3166

looks like a bit more filling and repainting will be required, plus black leading wing and tail plane edges, yellow prop tips, ariel stringing and decals..... I'm running out of days, can we make January a bit bigger !

cheers Pat

• Like 4

Hello,Pat - You're making superb progress with this 'Clipper' build and she's really starting to come to life.It just shows what a true classic can become in capable hands.Keep up the fine work! 😉👍 All the very best,Paul.

• Like 1

Thank you very much Paul

I have had an idea of how to replace my lost "dome" on the top of the aircraft more later :wicked:

Prop tips painted, tonight's plan is the black leading edges and the dome !

• Like 1

Evening all.

Masking for all the leading edges went well, see photo below and prop tips painted

IMG_3170

However the cunning plan (thanks Baldrick) was less successful, pictures below

IMG_3174

IMG_3176

I need to come up with another solution which at the present escapes me, all ideas / suggestions greatly appreciated 

Tonights job, masking removal, rigging and landing lights in the wings.

cheers Pat

• Like 2

Hello,Pat - She's coming together and looking splendid.This idea may sound horrendous,but I wonder if a two-part clear epoxy resin could be formed to shape?

Another possibility would be to shape one from from a piece of spare clear sprue in a similar method used for navigation light lenses?

I'll keep thinking!🤔

😉👍 All the very best,Paul.

• Like 1

Hi Pat,

I agree with Paul that shaping from a piece of clear sprue could be a good solution.  Alternatively, use ordinary sprue and paint the sides black, with camo on the top surface - perhaps not as good, but most windows look black in 1/144 (as in your photos), so could be OK!

One other thought, how about filling the hole with PVA glue and allowing it to dry clear (a hair dryer can speed things up).  Then gradually build up the shape with further blobs of PVA on top, allowing each to dry clear before adding the next.  It might just work and if not could be easily removed ;)

Good luck.

Cliff

• Like 2

11 hours ago, CliffB said:

Hi Pat,

I agree with Paul that shaping from a piece of clear sprue could be a good solution.  Alternatively, use ordinary sprue and paint the sides black, with camo on the top surface - perhaps not as good, but most windows look black in 1/144 (as in your photos), so could be OK!

One other thought, how about filling the hole with PVA glue and allowing it to dry clear (a hair dryer can speed things up).  Then gradually build up the shape with further blobs of PVA on top, allowing each to dry clear before adding the next.  It might just work and if not could be easily removed ;)

Good luck.

Cliff

Hello,Cliff - I agree with you.PVA  could be the answer. I'm sure there's a solution to the problem.😉👍 All the best,Paul.

• Like 2

@Jessica That is brilliant! It may save Jockney and another SoS resident here at Sleeper Central as well. My mole grips are black but I'm sure they'll do at a pinch. :rofl:

That build brings back memories of my first Christmas after Mum realised I was serious about model-making. Happy Days. I think yours will look better than mine did though. The nearest to silver I could find was zinc primer which I applied with a 3" brush (the smallest I could find in Dad's OK for the kids to use box).

It will be nice to see one built after all these years.  

• Like 1