Academy 1/72 A-37B Dragonfly

Recently completed Academy's Supertweet. Bult as the 8th SOS at Bien Hoa 1970.

Built mainly OOB, with belts and some sprucing up in the cockpit, and addition of the various antennae not provided in the kit.

Great little kit, overall.

Painted with Italeri acrylics and weathered with Vallejo washes and some mild post shading. Kit decals were slightly out of register, so replacement markings from the spares box used.

Thanks for watching and Happy New 2017 to all,

IMG_0060_zpsz4wxh5lk.jpg

IMG_0055_zpskjuhvzbp.jpg

IMG_0054_zpsxf9adoqu.jpg

IMG_0053_zpsakhdldgt.jpg

IMG_0052_zpscwwsnbg2.jpg

IMG_0050_zpsfas65zvq.jpg

IMG_0049_zpszorzj62x.jpg

IMG_0048_zpsg9y9dxmz.jpg

IMG_0047_zpsfma2cddp.jpg

IMG_0046_zps3hhkn4om.jpg

• Like 32

Hi Dannie:

Congratulñations for the Wonderful rendition of the Super Tweet you have done here!!!

I remember its distinctive sound and sterling service this wonderful aircraft gave to in my country, and remembering watching them overflying to and from the missions against Guerrillas in many parts of the country.

I liked the way you have build this kit, but the most interesting thing for me is the wonderful paint job you have done, looks resplendent, and also the nice weathering technique giving a nice enhancement to the overall build.

Thank you very much for sharing and Very Happy New Year to you too!!!

Cheers from Guatemala.

Luis Alfonso

Hi Dannie,

a smashing rendition of this fantastic bird! Superb!

How did the Academy decals behave? I keep asking this silly question to Bmers who tackle this kit, as I am really scared to build mine to be let down by the decals... Once bitten.,..

Brilliant job!

and a Great New Year!

JR

2 hours ago, jean said:

How did the Academy decals behave? I keep asking this silly question to Bmers who tackle this kit, as I am really scared to build mine to be let down by the decals... Once bitten

Thank you all for the comments. 

Silly question it is not Jean. I was also somewhat reluctant to use the kit decals,

so I ran a small test with the Korean "star and bar" and numbers provided in the kit to check and prepare myself. 

The decals behaved ok, using warm water and Mr. setter/softer combo, but the Star and bars were all out of register with white background (discovered only on the kit). 

Other than that, even the walkways went down nicely with no silvering. Did have some areas with silvering, but puncturing and running a bead of MR.Setter solved the issue. HTH

Dannie

• Like 1

Love this little bird! Great paintwork and nice attention to details!

The major issue with Academy decals in my experience is that in several years they tend to come off the model. So they are non-grata persons in my collection any more.

I have this kit in stash too and I got Printscale decals to be done as VNAF aircraft. Your example moved my A-37 up in the stash :)

10 minutes ago, Dennis_C said:

The major issue with Academy decals in my experience is that in several years they tend to come off the model.

That's what a final coat of varnish is for. :) 

Nice Supertweet! 

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hook said:

That's what a final coat of varnish is for. :) 

Nice Supertweet! 

Cheers,

Andre

Sure thing :) Unfortunately with Academy that did not help. I actually had to reapply tons of MicroSol to re-stick decals and respray varnish.

Thank you all, 

Yup,  Academy decals usally tend to be less than useful. In this case decided to give them a try, hopefully this won't come back to bite me later. 

Dennis, the VNAF examples do tend to be little bit more colourfull, and a word of advice, paint the inlet areas black prior to assemblying the wings. 

• Like 1