Airfix Dambuster - 1/72 Avro Lancaster B.III

Very nice Tom - i like that effect, a lot :) 

Tony thanks for the Pathe film. Now off to the spray booth to sort out my bald pate…

• Like 1

Dear oh dear, Tom the state of this, its filthy man. Fear not I shall be venturing north shortly and will give her a good going over with some Lemon Pledge and my beloved aircraft shine enhancer tool as shown,. Worry ye not I'll have yer Lanc gleaming soon enough mate...

mk24b.jpg&key=43a6e8d01bd75a769efd472978

mk24a.jpg

Anil The Cleaner

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

20 hours ago, TheBaron said:

That's what I call a wash and brush-up Tomo! 

Gorgeous. :clap2: 

Can I book in to 'Chez Tomo's' for a restyle? 

Tony where oh where do you get these from? More importantly, what motivates one to wake up in the morning and think "ah yes, I must research some vintage footage of hair painting and moustache twirling". Needless to say you have changed my perception of the Bobby Charlton comb-over FOR EVER!!!

39 minutes ago, azureglo said:

Dear oh dear, Tom the state of this, its filthy man. Fear not I shall be venturing north shortly and will give her a good going over with some Lemon Pledge and my beloved aircraft shine enhancer tool as shown,. Worry ye not not I'll have yer Lanc gleaming soon enough mate...

mk24b.jpg&key=43a6e8d01bd75a769efd472978

mk24a.jpg

Anil The Cleaner

Almost as shiny as your racing spit sir.

2 hours ago, perdu said:

Tom do not, I repeat knock yourself out about the walkway lines

Look at the successor's walkways

Shackleton-Bomber.jpg

copyright warbird alley I believe

Same basic wing structure, I thought I had seen these before

Ah cheers Bill. Wasn't going to get miffed over it, just one of those things that bugs ya. Lovely piccie of the Shackleton too.

This evening I have begun removing the masking. First is up the transparencies. These are taking almost as long to remove than to apply. So far so good. I have experienced some bleed here and there, and the odd rough edge, namely the quadrant on the canopy.

IMG_4422.jpg

Nothing that can’t be fixed by a little diligent application of a toothpick dipped in turps. I find this smooths the rough edges to an acceptable finish and (usually) removes any paint bleed.

IMG_4423.jpg

A slight touch up is required for the forward bomb aimer’s window.

IMG_4425.jpg

IMG_4427.jpg

IMG_4428.jpg

IMG_4429.jpg

Overall I'm satisfied. I’ll spend some time finishing off the transparencies before removing the rest of the masking then onto final assembly (yeh I know I've got to glue them blinkin' guns back on).

• Like 20

1 hour ago, Tomoshenko said:

what motivates one to wake up in the morning and think "ah yes, I must research some vintage footage of hair painting and moustache twirling". 

A deep and abiding fascination with our lunatic species I guess Tomo!

Should you ever be at a loose end one evening and think 'You know - I haven't seen any really good postwar hair-styling films for quite some time.' sir can do worse than to  peruse the Pathe news archive on the Y-tube.

Leonard Pountney and not Aleister Crowley was the true threat to civilization in Britain...

Or you could just make a damn fine Lancaster! :thumbsup:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Thank you for the warm comments folks.

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 9:28 PM, TheBaron said:

Leonard Pountney and not Aleister Crowley was the true threat to civilization in Britain...

Interestingly Tony, rumour has it (urban myth, hearsay, "I read it in a book so it must be true!" whatever) that Mr Crowley and his followers used to gather together and underwent an intense period of concentration where they would focus on sending negative and evil vibes at Hitler...

Tonight’s choice of beverage is a French Merlot. This will accompany the final serving of a beef stew (with dumplings and pearl barley) I cooked a few days ago after this update. I’m feeling ebullient – despite my car failing its MOT (first world problem). I got all the masking off with the exception of the undercarriage bays. Then I cleaned up the transparencies with a cocktail stick dipped in Sansodor and buffed up with a cotton bud.

IMG_4455.jpg

The navigation lights got a coat of klear and have come out well (sorry for blurry pick – trying to photograph black, shiny silver stuff and transparencies is a nightmare with an iPhone).

IMG_4436.jpg

The rear turret is now in place. You can’t see a lot of the detail I added, but you get glimpses of a busy inside.

IMG_4443.jpg

Flaps were added.

IMG_4457.jpg

But the biggest milestone is the installation of the upkeep mine and spinning assembly.

IMG_4440.jpg

IMG_4441.jpg

I also added the Aldis lights. Now it does look like a Dambuster proper. The frame and mechanism were painted matt black to give it some contrast against the rest of the airframe. I will do some touch-ups and dry brushing later. In real life the contrast isn’t quite so strong, but the harsh direct lighting emphasises it. You’ll have to take my word for it and Bill’s (as a character witness) when he eventually sees it at the club meet.

I ignored the kit instructions and painted the bomb red oxide. Apparently many were delivered fresh from the factory still in the red oxide primer, not having time to be painted green – although some undoubtedly were.

IMG_4438.jpg

Here’s a few more shots of the canopy and windows.

IMG_4447.jpg

IMG_4449.jpg

IMG_4453.jpg

More dry brushing and touch-ups then I will get the undercarriage sorted. Really enjoying the final run in. Back the weekend.

• Like 18

Merlot good choice & a nice wine.

The Lancs not bad either. Actually brilliant & a great model.

As an aside this raid in May 1943 I was actually 4 years 7 months old. Just about to start my schooling.

A year later Hitler started to try & get me with a doodlebug (V1) but missed. Ha Ha.

Laurie

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

That's looking really great. Your work on the internals, turrets, lights, canopy etc has turned this into a real gem. I have a standard (non-Dambuster) version of this kit in the stash, which I'd ike to build as a Tallboy aircraft, and this build is great inspiration.

Justin

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 12:16 AM, LaurieS said:

Merlot good choice & a nice wine.

The Lancs not bad either. Actually brilliant & a great model.

As an aside this raid in May 1943 I was actually 4 years 7 months old. Just about to start my schooling.

A year later Hitler started to try & get me with a doodlebug (V1) but missed. Ha Ha.

Laurie

I'm glad they missed Laurie (as I'm sure you and a good deal of other folk are too).

On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 1:02 AM, AdrianMF said:

It’s all looking lovely with all the bits coming together and the weathering on. I must admit I thought the green looked a bit light when it first went on but it looks fine now.

Regards,

Adrian

I totally agree Adrian, and if I'm being honest I'm not 100% satisfied with it now. Bill and I had a number of email exchanges to this effect. It is as per the kit instructions, but my old HU30 (it's full of bits anyway) will be consigned to Humbrol heaven to be replaced by the colourcotes offering.

Roight up then. Not far to go now. I got the undercarriage assembled. I span the wheels in some grey pastel dust to dispel the uniform tyre look.

IMG_4460.jpg

IMG_4484.jpg

Yes I likes it. However, in this game there is always a sting in the tail (quite literally – see below). And I noticed that when I inserted the rear turret (it was quite a tight fit), it opened up the seam.

IMG_4464.jpg

Proper pain in the rear (quite literally). Anyroad I filled the gap with a bit of cyano and Mr Surfacer.

IMG_4471.jpg

The finished off with some Nato black with a dab of grey. I will give it a dry brush of silver or white just to blend it in with the rest of the underside, although the harsh lighting brings out the contrast.

IMG_4482.jpg

I added some exhaust stains to the underside of the outer engine nacelles. The outer exhausts of Lancs were affected by the wing dihedral which resulted in exhaust stains underneath the wing, not above as per the other engines.

IMG_4494.jpg

Finally on its own wheels.

IMG_4489.jpg

Got the fins on.

IMG_4493.jpg

A few more bits and bobs to go, but almost, almost there.

• Like 16